Keys for Christmas

I am taking my family to the Everglades/Keys in a couple weeks. My wife's side of the family who was here for Thanksgiving was appalled that we would be taking our kids (high school freshman daughter and hs junior son) to Key West for a couple days. My kids are, ok so what? I am completely ok for the craziness.

We are going to be around the Everglades, then Key Largo for a couple days and Key West for a couple days.

So...anywhere we should go/avoid? We are going fishing and snorkeling, golf, want good food and drink.

Any travel hints?
    ~rthomas

Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    I am taking my family to the Everglades/Keys in a couple weeks. My wife's side of the family who was here for Thanksgiving was appalled that we would be taking our kids (high school freshman daughter and hs junior son) to Key West for a couple days. My kids are, ok so what? I am completely ok for the craziness.

We are going to be around the Everglades, then Key Largo for a couple days and Key West for a couple days.

So...anywhere we should go/avoid? We are going fishing and snorkeling, golf, want good food and drink.

Any travel hints?
    Gasp! There are homosexuals in Key West!

Haven't been to the other places, but when in Key West, you gotta see the Hemingway house.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    Gasp! There are homosexuals in Key West!
    Oh Puhleeeeze Sistah!
    Have a blast and bring bug spray. The mosquitos will do more damage than the naked gay people. Or naked straight people. Can't tell 'em apart when they are naked.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Keys for Christmas

From the title of the thread, I thought you were buying someone a car for Christmas. Now if you had said "The Keys", then I would have known what you were talking about.

Never been a fan of Key West, too dang far to drive when Key Largo and Islamorada are just as nice. Of course, I haven't been there since I was in HS (in Ft. Lauderdale - we played Key West HS in football and baseball). Like I said, it was a lonnnnnnnnnng bus ride.

My daughter and son in law took a day trip to Key West last summer and they enjoyed it. So I'm sure it is very nice and worth going to.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Oh Puhleeeeze Sistah!
    Have a blast and bring bug spray. The mosquitos will do more damage than the naked gay people. Or naked straight people. Can't tell 'em apart when they are naked.
    My kids may be embarassed if I'm one of the naked running atound! yeeehaaaa
    ~rthomas

My kids may be embarassed if I'm one of the naked running atound! yeeehaaaa
    I was there for New Years 2000 (figured, y2k hits, at least we are somewhere tropical and American.) and Key West was not a hedonistic insanity at all - things may have changed in 8 years, but I would not worry about it. As far as I know, the public nudity is mostly restricted to a couple of weeks in October and a 3rd story open air bar.

Having said that, when I was in NOLA for my birthday, I saw families out on Bourbon St around 7 or 8 pm. Kids under 10 should not be in a place like that after happy hour starts, IMO. In that vein, I would advise to keep your kids out of Duvall St in the evenings. And don't let them go upstairs at that one pub. Daytime craziness should be minimal, outside of the 3rd floor.

By the way, if you are there for New Years, they drop a giant conch shell. It's fun.

Any travel hints?
    My wife and I were in Key West in April 2007 and really liked it. The nightlife on Duval St was a bit crazy but nothing much different from the bar district in any city. Nothing that I would consider outrageous for HS age kids, but I am only 31 and don't have kids of my own yet. I agree with the previous poster that it is probably only crazy during the festivals in October and maybe Spring Break.

Go snorkeling, see the Hemingway house and rent bicycles for a fun way to get around the island. Alonzo's Oyster Bar on the waterfront and had great fried oysters and lobster cakes. Sarabeth's was a really good breakfast/brunch place. The Rum Barrel, owned by former Sixers owner Pat Croce, was a fun place for a drink with a vast selection of rum (duh) drinks. The drive out to Key West is one of the best parts if it is a sunny day.

Was just in the Everglades in October. It is very pretty but it is just a big marsh. You'll be there during the dry season so hopefully wildlife viewing (gators and waterbirds) will be better for you. Make sure you take an airboat ride. They are plenty of places offering them on Tamiami Trail along the north edge of the park between Homestead and Naples.

Enjoy!

You need to see Key West for a day at least. It's really fun to walk around during the day...think New Orleans goes to the tropics.
    I second the Rum Barrel rec. Around the corner from the Rum Barrel, also owned by Pat Croce, is the Pirate Soul Museum. It is basically his private collection for which he's charging admission, but it's very well curated, impressively presented, and just plain fun. He has one of two authentic Jolly Rogers in the world, and the only known treasure chest. There are also loads of things used on board ships, like surgeon's kits, etc., and a nice array of multimedia and interactive things. It's really worth a visit if you've got a crowd who'd get a kick out of that sort of thing.
    And one thing about the Rum Barrel...they've got all the satellite sports packages and a bunch of HD TV's in there. If there happens to be a game you want to see while you're there, it'd be a good choice.
    Definitely don't do your diving off of Key West, unless cruise ship bilge water and the resultant blighted reefs are your thing. Head up to Marathon or Isla Morada for that sort of thing.

Any travel hints?
    I don't know anything about Key West. I just wanted to say that I think you're the second coolest parents in the world, my mom and dad own first! Seriously, you are awesome. Have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Exiled_Devil View Post
    By the way, if you are there for New Years, they drop a giant conch shell. It's fun.
    Didn't they form their own country for a couple minute back in the 80's or something?

The Conch Republic: 'We Seceded Where Others Failed'

Quote Originally Posted by 2535Miles View Post
    I don't know anything about Key West. I just wanted to say that I think you're the second coolest parents in the world, my mom and dad own first! Seriously, you are awesome. Have fun!
    I second that! Except, well, I don't know 2535's folks. But I think it's wonderful that you're taking your kids someplace warm and fun for Christmas. They will love you for it.

Have a great time!

Quote Originally Posted by snowdenscold View Post
    Didn't they form their own country for a couple minute back in the 80's or something?

The Conch Republic: 'We Seceded Where Others Failed'
    Indeed they did. The Feds were angry about, among other things, lax drug enforcement in the Keys. The Keys, in turn, were angry at the Feds at having been repeatedly rejected for funding for a water desalination plant...at the time, methods of water collection and purification in the Keys were more in line with a Third World country than with the United States.
    The Keys seceded, calling themselves the Conch Republic, and declared war on the United States. About ten minutes after the war declaration, the mayor of Key West surrendered at the Key West Naval Air Station, and the "losers" applied for post-war assistance funds.
    They got the funds and built the desalination plant. Now you can get the Conch Republic flag (actually a rather nice looking one, I think) on everything from t-shirts to refrigerator magnets to coffee mugs.
    I believe this to be among the more hilariously brilliant, spit-in-your-eye/damn-the-man moves in American history.

Hit The Hungry Tarpin for lunch in Islamorada (Lower Metacumbe -- spelling wrong I'm sure). You can feed the Tarpins from the docks.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    You can feed the Tarpins from the docks.
    Tarpon are great freeloaders...

Oh, and make sure you rent Key Largo (Bogart and Bacall and Edward G. Robinson) before you go.

My father lives in Key West so I go at least once a year. I would hit the Hemingway House, the Little White House (where Truman stayed), the Southernmost Point (if you care to wave at Cuba), the Butterfly Museum (if still there - I confess I've not been the last couple of times). The old fort is pretty cool as well. There is usually a good art exhibit at the Customs House. I enjoyed going out on a catamaran but recommend either a sunset cruise or renting jet skis instead.

For food, I like lunch at Schooner Warf - it's a dive in the harbor area with entertainment. I love to listen to Michael McCloud for an hour or so. My favorite restaurants are Louis' Backyard on the Atlantic and Michael's near the cemetary. They are on the expensive side but oh so good. Kelly's is kind of fun considering Kelly McGillis owns it (still I believe) and is there sometimes - her mother lives in Key West. Anway, I've never had a bad meal anywhere I've eaten, even at the Irish Pub Finnegan's Wake (delicious shepherd's pie) or breakfast at Harpoon Harry's (your basic diner).

My other stops always include the Pepper Store that has awesome sauces and marinades, and Kermit's Key Lime Store (pies, cookies, candies, icecream, soap, lotion, basically anything you can make with key limes). I stock up on supplies each year.

Enjoy your trip!

Thanks for all of your recommendations. I really want to eat at Jimmy's Buffet. Just kidding.

Seriously, I appreciate it!
    ~rthomas

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Indeed they did. The Feds were angry about, among other things, lax drug enforcement in the Keys. The Keys, in turn, were angry at the Feds at having been repeatedly rejected for funding for a water desalination plant...at the time, methods of water collection and purification in the Keys were more in line with a Third World country than with the United States.
    The Keys seceded, calling themselves the Conch Republic, and declared war on the United States. About ten minutes after the war declaration, the mayor of Key West surrendered at the Key West Naval Air Station, and the "losers" applied for post-war assistance funds.
    They got the funds and built the desalination plant. Now you can get the Conch Republic flag (actually a rather nice looking one, I think) on everything from t-shirts to refrigerator magnets to coffee mugs.
    I believe this to be among the more hilariously brilliant, spit-in-your-eye/damn-the-man moves in American history.
    In addition with Feds set up a checkpoint a la Border Guards up in Florida City, on the mainland above the Keys, and that was another sand up the craw for the Conchs to secede, there was a "national border" that excluded them!

Another vote for the Hungry Tarpon for lunch on the way down or the way back, breakfasts are great there, too. We like the Blonde Giraffe for Key Lime Pie, the web says their main facility is on Simonton St, I swore they used to be on Block Island. A no-brainer is the sunset celebration at Mallory Square, you'll be swept along with the crowds to it if you don't know where it is.

For Key Largo we liked to take Card Sound Road down instead of US1 (split at Florida City) and stop at Alabama Jack's, right on the water before a bridge. Food's not great, but the location is.
    Class of Billy King and Chris Moreland