Cool Black Friday Thread

So what did you do to stimulate the economy today?

Also: are you also tired of the media reference to this day as if it is a holiday?

I'm sick of the entire Thanksgiving - Christmas period so heavily focused on consumerism. Blech. I understand the spending is important for the economy, but I wish we had a bit more perspective.

That being said I refuse to shop on black friday. Maybe I'll do something online, but that's about it.

If I shop I'll do it electronically. Let's see what woot and crocodeals offer.

BTW, two of the radio stations in my town have been in 24-hour Christmas mode since Halloween.

There isn't much I really want to buy at the moment. So I won't be very stimulating...

I looked quickly at the door buster sales and didn't see anything all that interesting. Given that I'm trying to spend less at the moment, nothing sounds all that good. Even the line outside the nearby Best Buy (drove past it last night) was significantly shorter than in previous years.

I'm not buying any electronics, and I'm not buying any kid stuff. Since that seems to be primarily what BF is all about, I'll pass, thanks.

I typically take the Friday after Thanksgiving off - but I don't know that I have set foot in a store on that day. Today, I went out to Starbucks so I could say Hello to a friend who has taken a second job and had to be at work at 3am this morning. I figured they could use a friendly face midday since they had probably only been seeing frazzled shoppers. So beyond $4 for an overpriced drink and energy consumption, I haven't done much to stimulate the economy today.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    There isn't much I really want to buy at the moment. So I won't be very stimulating...
    Okay, okay, I've been caught. I'm actually buying a winter jacket from Land's End today.

Oh, and I got some stuff for the cats. I guess that counts too...
    Last edited by YmoBeThere; 11-28-2008 at 08:24 PM.

I went out early today and I'm mostly done with my shopping.

I stimulated the economy at New River Pottery, Belk's, Best Buy, K-Mart, Kohl's, Artisan's and T.J. Maxx. I've also done some online shopping over the past few weeks.

My kids' Christmas won't be as big this year as it's been for them in the past. Most of their gift $$ is tied up in airline tickets. The local retailers would get more of my business if I didn't have to do this custody thing.

I'm beyond disgusted by the display of holiday spirit by the walmart shoppers of Long Island, NY.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilAlumna View Post
    I'm beyond disgusted by the display of holiday spirit by the walmart shoppers of Long Island, NY.
    That was disgusting. Also, the two at Toys-R-Us in CA.

There were some good to great deals offered to early bird shoppers, but I'll be damned if I'm getting up at 3 a.m. to shop at 5 a.m. to save a few bucks. Probably the best deal offered today was the front loading washer/drier pair offered at Sears for $699 (half price). I just wasn't in the market for a new washer/drier.

On Friday afternoon I did venture into Costco to buy hotdogs for today's Brunchgate-GTHC, and then to Sam's Club to get a soda on the way to our bball game. The stores were busy, but not significantly so. Lines at the checkouts were short.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by DevilAlumna View Post
    Agreed. That was an embarrassment.

I worked.

I was really surprised by the lack of great deals compared to years gone by. I assumed that the economy would bring about some amazing deals ($100 computers, etc.) like in the previous years, but I didn't see any. too bad.

I did go ahead and buy a king-sized mattress; I compared one store with another and negotiated free delivery and a free metal frame plus 1/2 off on a mattress cover. They had wanted to charge me 70.00 for the delivery, 79.00 for the frame and 149.00 for the mattress cover. Also, I asked them for the very best price on the mattress and I wasn't going to buy it at all if I couldn't get a substantial drop off of the 'sale price'. I got 250 off and I felt pretty good about it.

dth.