Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Wherever the wind blows and the leaves dance.

Duke VS Purdue

STATS
    Here are some interesting stats for tonight's game:

• Purdue had 2 guys shooting over 40% from 3 (Hummel 48%, Moore 41%), Duke has 0.

• Duke averages a 1:1.1 Assist to TO ratio. Purdue is at 1.6:1 in the right direction.

• Duke averages 11 steals a game, Purdue averages 7.

• Calasan leads Purdue with 3.2 FT attempts per game. Singler (7.1), Scheyer (4.7), Thomas (4.4), and Henderson (3.9) all average more FT attempts a game than Calasan.

• Lance Thomas is the only player on either team to have more offensive than defensive rebounds (17 to 13).

OUTLOOK
    I'm looking forward to this game. It should be an intersting matchup. I like Duke if they try to drive to the hoop or if they find their mid-range game. I don't see Duke winning the TO battle though and that could be a deciding factor in this game.

I like Purdue to win if they can Duke into an outside shooting contest. I also like Purdue to win if they can avoid foul trouble. That will be a tall order for the Boilermakers with the way these teams like to mix it up on defense and with the intensity of a big game like this.

ESPN scheduling

What's the over/under on the amount of game action we miss due to Duke/Purdue being a 9:00 game immediately following a 7:00 game?

I'll say about 5 minutes into the game before we get the live feed.

This stacked up scheduling is one of many peeves about ESPN. Don't even mention the possibility of overtime in the early game.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    What's the over/under on the amount of game action we miss due to Duke/Purdue being a 9:00 game immediately following a 7:00 game?

This stacked up scheduling is one of many peeves about ESPN. Don't even mention the possibility of overtime in the early game.
    We must have some ESP going on, because I was just thinking the same thing.

I'm guessing there will be about 11:00 left in the first half before they switch to the Duke game.

Morons.

-EarlJam

Quote Originally Posted by whereinthehellami View Post
    STATS

• Purdue had 2 guys shooting over 40% from 3 (Hummel 48%, Moore 41%), Duke has 0.

• Duke averages a 1:1.1 Assist to TO ratio. Purdue is at 1.6:1 in the right direction.

• Calasan leads Purdue with 3.2 FT attempts per game. Singler (7.1), Scheyer (4.7), Thomas (4.4), and Henderson (3.9) all average more FT attempts a game than Calasan.

• Lance Thomas is the only player on either team to have more offensive than defensive rebounds (17 to 13).

OUTLOOK
    I'm looking forward to this game. It should be an intersting matchup. I like Duke if they try to drive to the hoop or if they find their mid-range game. I don't see Duke winning the TO battle though and that could be a deciding factor in this game.

I like Purdue to win if they can Duke into an outside shooting contest. I also like Purdue to win if they can avoid foul trouble. That will be a tall order for the Boilermakers with the way these teams like to mix it up on defense and with the intensity of a big game like this.
    I think you hit the nail on the head...no more breaking down the teams....lets play ball!

Local paper write up...even they agree.

http://www.jconline.com/article/2008...47/1037/SPORTS

Quote Originally Posted by duketaylor View Post
    Kyle and G lead the way with a good performance from Nolan, keys to me.
    Everyone keeps talking about G but Scheyer is our 2nd best player offensively right now and is initiating a lot of the offense much like demarcus did last year. He's also probably our steadiest player, tho maybe tied with Singler for that distinction. I wouldn't mind a little breakout game from G too.

Here's to hoping Lance/Zoubs continue their good play.

Quote Originally Posted by whereinthehellami View Post
    STATS
    Great stuff! Thanks!

ugh. way to jinx it

Also, many thanks to the purdue Fan(s) who participated in this and other threads getting us prepped for the game. Being duke fans makes us college bball fans and I love learning about other teams as well (mainly so I can bust those brackets in March!)

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos View Post
    Count me in the group that used to like Vitale and his enthusiasm but not so much these days. Anymore he's really just self-parody. He was doing a game the other night and went on for at least 5 minutes of game action without commenting on what was actually happening on the floor. And it's not like that happened in a blowout or that it's an infrequent occurrence anymore.
    Carlos has stated precisely how I feel about Vitale. I really used to like the guy (even when others hated him) because of this love and enthusiasm for the game.

Quote Originally Posted by PURDUE7 View Post
    PURDUE is not on the level of UCLA and Georgetown on D. They don't have the bigs. Don't confuse high pressure with low scores. PURDUE will run and gun if they can. They basically start 4 guards(Hummel has those skills) so they want to push the tempo.

I don't consider PURDUE a great defensive team....but they have quick guards and they play hard on D.
    I didn't realize that PURDUE was an acronym

This will shock nobody, I like Duke in this game. We have steadily improved over the last couple of weeks, guys are learning their roles, Nolan and G are picking it up, Kyle and Jon are rock solid, our 3 headed center position is being productive, etc. Also, I think that the experience we gained in the game against SIU (another team that plays man to man defense) will prove beneficial tonight. Hey, maybe Marty will have a good game and guys can spend another 8000 posts discussion his role

Ugh I hate that! What is so hard about scheduling games 2 hrs and 15 mins apart like FSN and CBS do? You know what's the worst is when the team that's losing in the early game is still fouling/calling timeout down by 12 with 30 seconds left. Do we really need to see every last second of a blowout when there is another game starting?? Hopefully the 7:00 game will actually start on time, but I bet we'll come into the Duke game after the 1st TV timeout with something like 15 minutes left...

Quote Originally Posted by nyr484 View Post
    Ugh I hate that! What is so hard about scheduling games 2 hrs and 15 mins apart like FSN and CBS do? You know what's the worst is when the team that's losing in the early game is still fouling/calling timeout down by 12 with 30 seconds left. Do we really need to see every last second of a blowout when there is another game starting?? Hopefully the 7:00 game will actually start on time, but I bet we'll come into the Duke game after the 1st TV timeout with something like 15 minutes left...
    The worst is the moment when they start showing the score of the 2nd game all tiny in the top right-hand corner of the TV. So it's just sitting there taunting you, clock ticking away, as you're forced to watch the end of this other game that you don't even care about.

Why wasn't this game yesterday? Why jam it in with a bunch of other games...running the risk of missing any of it? PURDUE fans have been looking forward to this game since it was announced....DUKE fans think perdue is a chicken and it makes them hungry every time it is talked about.

As far as the game....I hope the refs let them play. Nobody wants a FT contest or star players on the pine. I often wonder why basketball has DQ's.

Quote Originally Posted by Kim* View Post
    The worst is the moment when they start showing the score of the 2nd game all tiny in the top right-hand corner of the TV. So it's just sitting there taunting you, clock ticking away, as you're forced to watch the end of this other game that you don't even care about.
    Not that DUKE fans care....but I think CBS used to have this problem with B2B games. I remember PURDUE @ IU...we missed the first minute of the game...so on comes game and Brad Miller is not on the floor...we assume Keady didn't start him to save him from fouls????? NO...he had 2 fouls in the first minute...GAME OVER!

Do Blue Devil fans hate UNC like BOILERMAKERS hate IU? I know you are 12 miles apart....does that make it better or worse?

Can't wait to see this game for a multitude of reasons. First, it's the first true road game of the year (our first true roadie of the year last year was Temple...on 1/8/08). Second, it'll be the toughest team we've played all year; as a guy that's still in football mode, this matchup grabs my attention quicker than any Duke game thus far.

But the most intriguing reason is that these are the two best teams in th country that rely primarily on perimeter talent to win. Purdue and Duke are two of a kind, if you will, very similar teams. The best player on our team is widely considered to be Singler, who's eerily similar to Robbie Hummel, widely considered to be Purdue's best player (though one could make a strong case for E'Twaun Moore).

Singler vs. Hummel and Henderson vs. Moore are matchups that have me salivating and I'm also very interested in seeing how Nolan Smith handles himself. It's a lot different when you're starting, no matter what Krzyzewski says.

Bottom line, I'm excited because we're going to find out a lot more about this team tonight. Hopefully, it'll be a win. Go Duke!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Classof06 View Post
    (our first true roadie of the year last year was Temple...on 1/8/08).
    Ha, I was at that game. I somehow ended up sitting in the Temple alumni section. It was hilarious, just a herd of middle-aged and elderly Philadelphians in a sea of maroon.. and then there's little ol' me decked out in blue haha. Good times, good times.

I'll second the notion earlier about the Purdue fans who joined to add insight to their team. I've enjoyed reading about your team and the passion you have for your program.

It's very uncommon that you can have a civil discussion on an anonymous internet message board about something as passionat as sports, especially between rival fans. The fact that we can all do it here without devolving into petty insults and profanity really does make this place unique in a lot of ways.

Go Duke!
    "There can BE only one."

Do Blue Devil fans hate UNC like BOILERMAKERS hate IU? I know you are 12 miles apart....does that make it better or worse?
    We had a whole thread on who we would root for if UNC was playing Nazi Germany. A couple people said UNC.

Quote Originally Posted by Kim* View Post
    Ha, I was at that game. I somehow ended up sitting in the Temple alumni section. It was hilarious, just a herd of middle-aged and elderly Philadelphians in a sea of maroon.. and then there's little ol' me decked out in blue haha. Good times, good times.
    Hey, I was there too. A friend of mine offered me a seat in the Temple alumni section but I managed to score one in one of the Duke boxes instead.

Make it 8 miles actually. and to answer your question, my mother is from indiana and so i have had family go to both IU and Purdue...from what I have seen the hatred of UNC by us Duke fans is greater than the hatred of IU by Purdue. Now from a student perspective, i haven't seen the IU/PU hatred first hand so it may be close to Duke/UNC but I think in rivalries and hatred Duke/UNC beats everyone (then again I am a Duke student), but it was also from everything that I have seen before attending Duke

lets go!

I don't know how much you hate IU, but I can tell you that we hate UNC with passion and precision.

20. Go DUKE ! ! ! !