Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 36
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Northwest NC

    Calling the Geek Squad (Television edition)

    Well the wife and I are finally going to upgrade to a new HDTV. After much research I wanted to get some of your opinions.

    First, is 1080p really that much better than 720p? I know you have to have a 1080p source to truly get 1080p, such as blue-ray. If you have a 1080p source, is it really that much better on a 1080p display than a 720p?

    Second, the new buzz is the 120h over 60h screen refresh rate. Will I really be able to tell the difference between the two? And if so, is it worth a couple hundred more dollars when I'm trying not to break the bank to begin with?

    Any tips, advance or direction would be appreciated.
    "The future ain't what it used to be."

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Back in Vegas... again.
    I found this today. Maybe it will help. Seems to be much less "techno-geek" than AV Forums or whatever that's called.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by DUKIECB View Post
    Well the wife and I are finally going to upgrade to a new HDTV. After much research I wanted to get some of your opinions.

    First, is 1080p really that much better than 720p? I know you have to have a 1080p source to truly get 1080p, such as blue-ray. If you have a 1080p source, is it really that much better on a 1080p display than a 720p?

    Second, the new buzz is the 120h over 60h screen refresh rate. Will I really be able to tell the difference between the two? And if so, is it worth a couple hundred more dollars when I'm trying not to break the bank to begin with?

    Any tips, advance or direction would be appreciated.
    What size TV are you considering? 50" and below the 720p v 1080p argument is moot. As for 120h v 60h, it's best to view them side by side and see for youself. If there is a difference sports programing would show it. I have never been able to tell, but I'm bias towards plasma.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Northwest NC
    Right now I'm looking at under 50", either 42 or 46 more than likely. After comparing everything I'm leaning towards a plasma, but it might depend on black Friday sales as to which I can find the best deal on.
    "The future ain't what it used to be."

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Watching carolina Go To HELL!
    Quote Originally Posted by DUKIECB View Post
    Right now I'm looking at under 50", either 42 or 46 more than likely. After comparing everything I'm leaning towards a plasma, but it might depend on black Friday sales as to which I can find the best deal on.
    Look at the TV repair thread from last week for deals I linked at Costco on both 42 and 46 inch sets.

    And buy your TV at either Sam's Club or Costco, because of their return policies. And Costco automatically gives you a 2 years warranty at no extra charge.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

    Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    http://www.EGLEW.com


  6. #6
    A lot of the Black Friday ads have been leaked on the web. Just google it. Also check the forums at fatwallet.com and slickdeals.net. There have been good deals for Panasonic (a tier one) plasmas the last few months. For some reason the price of LCDs have held up pretty well.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Back in Vegas... again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    A lot of the Black Friday ads have been leaked on the web. Just google it. Also check the forums at fatwallet.com and slickdeals.net. There have been good deals for Panasonic (a tier one) plasmas the last few months. For some reason the price of LCDs have held up pretty well.
    Also check out techbargains.com

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    raleigh
    if you go for a 42", i can not say enough great things about the Vizio LCD...it is awesome...i use one in our main control room as a computer monitor, but i've also played DVDs, blu-ray and tons of graphic stuff on it...

    the price is excellent also...

    i just wish they made a 65" lcd..

  9. #9

    Pouge-o-matic

    I thought this interactive gadget selector was pretty useful for those looking for some basic tech buying answers. Pogue has a good way of taking techno-babble and translating to more consumer friendly terms.

    http://nytimes.com/interactive/2008/...e-o-matic.html

  10. #10
    I am planning on buying a TV in the next 2 weeks or so, and I really have trouble deciphering the tech websites. The size will probably be 40-50 inches. Will any answers change if I go up to a 50-60 inch tv?

    Is there really a difference b/w 1080i and 1080p (what is it) and is that so much better than 780i? If there is really a noticeable difference (i.e. during basketball games one is crisp while the other is a little fuzzy)

    What about LCD vs. Plasma? I am not looking for "that is really a preference thing", because honestly, I have no preference - I want something that works well and is economical.
    My Quick Smells Like French Toast.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Wake Forest
    The Panasonic Plasmas (I own the Panasonic TH-42PZ85U 42" Plasma TV) are the consistent top ranked models in Consumer Reports.

    As for the best place to buy... the Interwebs. May not have the best return policy(s) but you can usually find the sets for much less than locally and often with free shipping and NO TAX!

    I bought mine from PowersellerNYC.com just over a year ago for $1399 and it's now listed on their site for $1,095. Excellent TV, Excellent picture, excellent sound (according to my neighbor who also has one. I have a home theater system so don't use the TV's sound.)

    Look around on the webs and see what's out there as far as deals. Not to long ago I saw my TV for $965. No tax or shipping.
    Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Washington, DC area
    Quote Originally Posted by steven52682 View Post
    I am planning on buying a TV in the next 2 weeks or so, and I really have trouble deciphering the tech websites. The size will probably be 40-50 inches. Will any answers change if I go up to a 50-60 inch tv?

    Is there really a difference b/w 1080i and 1080p (what is it) and is that so much better than 780i? If there is really a noticeable difference (i.e. during basketball games one is crisp while the other is a little fuzzy)

    What about LCD vs. Plasma? I am not looking for "that is really a preference thing", because honestly, I have no preference - I want something that works well and is economical.
    i is interlace; p is progressive. p is better.

    If you didn't see it near the beginning of the thread, here is a nice overview.

    -jk

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Quote Originally Posted by steven52682 View Post
    What about LCD vs. Plasma? I am not looking for "that is really a preference thing", because honestly, I have no preference - I want something that works well and is economical.
    There's a couple of good videos here: http://www.howstuffworks.com/search...=1&media=video

    that talk about LCD vs. Plasma.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Watching carolina Go To HELL!
    LCD's use considerably less electrical power than a plasma, so your operating cost over the years you have it would be considerably different.

    Buy at Costco or Sam's Club, specifically because of the return policies. And Costco gives you a 2-year warranty without having to buy an extended warranty.

    Unless you find a leftover model some where (and if you do it should be way lower in price!), all you'll find in the stores today are 1080p's and not 1080i/720p's. Although broadcasts are 1080i today, Bluray's are 1080p.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

    Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    http://www.EGLEW.com


  15. #15
    I thought you were looking for the Buy More Nerd Herd from Chuck.

  16. #16

    One HOT plasma TV !

    Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    LCD's use considerably less electrical power than a plasma, so your operating cost over the years you have it would be considerably different.
    You may have already answered my question...

    I recently spent a few days at a hotel that had a 42" plasma HD TV in the room (LG?). Very nice picture, sound, etc.

    BUT

    that sucker was like a fireplace with the heat it generated!! I first noticed it when I just happened to walk in front of the screen.

    Is there that much difference in power use with the plasma, which to me does seem to have the better quality picture for that type of set?

    Thanks!

    k

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Watching carolina Go To HELL!
    Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    LCD's use considerably less electrical power than a plasma, so your operating cost over the years you have it would be considerably different.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimist View Post
    You may have already answered my question...
    You're welcome, Honor. Thanks for joining us!
    I recently spent a few days at a hotel that had a 42" plasma HD TV in the room (LG?). Very nice picture, sound, etc.

    BUT

    that sucker was like a fireplace with the heat it generated!! I first noticed it when I just happened to walk in front of the screen.

    Is there that much difference in power use with the plasma, which to me does seem to have the better quality picture for that type of set?

    Thanks!

    k
    Yes, I believe I did! I don't have actual specs to give you, but the extra power used can create heat, which is what you felt.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

    Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    http://www.EGLEW.com


  18. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Newport News, VA
    Quote Originally Posted by steven52682 View Post
    I am planning on buying a TV in the next 2 weeks or so, and I really have trouble deciphering the tech websites. The size will probably be 40-50 inches. Will any answers change if I go up to a 50-60 inch tv?

    Is there really a difference b/w 1080i and 1080p (what is it) and is that so much better than 780i? If there is really a noticeable difference (i.e. during basketball games one is crisp while the other is a little fuzzy)

    What about LCD vs. Plasma? I am not looking for "that is really a preference thing", because honestly, I have no preference - I want something that works well and is economical.
    The "i" means interlaced and is used almost exclusively on CRT (Cathode Ray Tube) TV's - the old technology, huge, heavy tube-type or rear projection sets. The "p" means progressive and is used on all the newer technology (LCD, DLP, Plasma, etc.) TV's. Basically, interlaced TV's use a beam to fill in the odd numbered lines down the screen and then it goes back to the top to fill in the even numbered lines. Progressive TV's do them all at once. Interlaced TV's are getting really hard to find.

    Broadcasts are in 3 definitions: Standard Definition (480i) and 2 High Definitions (720p - ABC, ESPN, etc. and 1080i - CBS, NBC, etc.). Cable or satellite companies frequently standardize and compress the signal to whatever their box understands which may convert it to whatever you ask for. HiDef TV's simply take whatever they get and convert it to their native display resolution and display it.

    That being said, whatever you get will look wonderful as long as you're not too close. The limit for 720p sets is about two diagonals so if you get a 60" set and you are planning to sit closer than 10 feet, definitely get a 1080p. Otherwise, get the cheapest set that has the features you need.

  19. #19
    Thanks for the advice. I have distilled the information into the following:

    Plasma uses more power, but has a better picture (a rolling picture?) than LCD. LCD might last a little longer, but in reality, both will last for quite a few years. LCDs are a little more expensive. The ratio (not sure of what) I want is 50,000:1. Panasonic is a good brand to go with.

    How about LG? They seem to have some good deals out there.

    I I have mistaken anything, please let me know. Also, at what size is a lower ratio really noticeable.
    My Quick Smells Like French Toast.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by steven52682 View Post
    Thanks for the advice. I have distilled the information into the following:

    Plasma uses more power...
    I'm not sure there's a significant power usage difference with the newer plasmas vs. LCDs. I recently purchased a Pioneer plasma (best TV picture I've ever seen) and it's energy star certified.

    One thing that may not have been mentioned.... plasmas look better in darker rooms and LCDs look better in brighter rooms.

Similar Threads

  1. Is Television Ruining Sports?
    By SoCalDukeFan in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 11-02-2008, 08:05 AM
  2. 1977-78 Duke squad
    By DukieBoy in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 04-05-2008, 10:23 AM
  3. Cable Access Television
    By EarlJam in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-30-2007, 02:09 AM
  4. If you really want to get your geek on...
    By DevilAlumna in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-23-2007, 02:58 PM
  5. Geek Squad guy = Another LAX case?
    By hc5duke in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-14-2007, 03:43 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •