Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Christmas Music

Christmas Music

So I am putting my Christmas music on the Iphone tonight, and wondered what people would suggest. I have a pretty extensive collection - 2.5 GB of holiday tunes. Still, I am always looking for some good new music.

So, what are your favorite Christmas albums or songs?

Quote Originally Posted by Exiled_Devil View Post
    So I am putting my Christmas music on the Iphone tonight, and wondered what people would suggest. I have a pretty extensive collection - 2.5 GB of holiday tunes. Still, I am always looking for some good new music.

So, what are your favorite Christmas albums or songs?
    "Santa Baby" - Earth Kitt
    "Little Drummer Boy" - David Bowie and Bing Crosby

I've been enjoying Harry Connick's Christmas album. I hear he has a new one coming out too.

How about Yo-Yo Ma? Dave Brubeck?

I bought "Yo-Yo Ma & Friends: Songs of Joy & Peace" today. What an exquisite recording! Among the artists included on this album are Dave Brubeck, James Taylor, Chris Botti plus The Silk Road Ensemble. The selections range from various renditions of Dona Nobis Pacem to Here Comes the Sun to This Little Light of Mine. This would be a wonderful album to listen to while having friends over for dinner or relaxing by the fire. Listen to this album while you drive and you'll arrive at your destination in a good mood!

Quote Originally Posted by DukeUsul View Post
    I've been enjoying Harry Connick's Christmas album. I hear he has a new one coming out too.
    Yes, he does. It's called "Harry Connick, Jr. What a Night! A Christmas Album." Great sound!

Another fabulous new Christmas album is "Tony Bennett featuring the Count Basie Big Band A Swing' Christmas." You'll be looking for a dance partner!

Two old favorites

There are a couple of other albums in my collection which are special favorites.

One is "A Carnegie Hall Christmas Concert" featuring Kathleen Battle, Frederica vonStade, Wynton Marsalis and Andre Previn. This album covers a wide range of different kinds of Christmas selections performed by some of the best voices backed up by some of the best musicians. The concert has been shown on public TV stations during the holidays over the years.

The second one called out to me during a December trip to New Orleans. It's "Aaron Neville's Soulful Christmas." His rendition of "O Holy Night" is one of the most beautiful you'll ever hear.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post
    I bought "Yo-Yo Ma & Friends: Songs of Joy & Peace" today. What an exquisite recording! Among the artists included on this album are Dave Brubeck, James Taylor, Chris Botti plus The Silk Road Ensemble. The selections range from various renditions of Dona Nobis Pacem to Here Comes the Sun to This Little Light of Mine. This would be a wonderful album to listen to while having friends over for dinner or relaxing by the fire. Listen to this album while you drive and you'll arrive at your destination in a good mood!
    That sounds great. I'll have to add this to the list.

James Taylor--At Christmas
    Emmylou Harris--Light of the Stable
    Vince Guaraldi/Charlie Brown (duh)
    and Lavabe's favorite, John Denver and the Muppets: A Christmas Together (don't laugh...it's much less gimmicky than it sounds, and actually quite a good album)

"O Holy Night" by Josh Groban
    "I Saw Three Ships" by Sting

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    James Taylor--At Christmas
    Emmylou Harris--Light of the Stable
    Vince Guaraldi/Charlie Brown (duh)
    and Lavabe's favorite, John Denver and the Muppets: A Christmas Together (don't laugh...it's much less gimmicky than it sounds, and actually quite a good album)
    I've got both Charlie Brown and the Muppets. The John denver/Muppet album is great. I actually have some music from the Muppet Movie in my regular rotation. They (Henson & Co) did good music back then.

This is great, by the way. I am looking up new stuff as we speak.

ETA: and the JT album.

Quote Originally Posted by 2535Miles View Post
    "Santa Baby" - Earth Kitt
    "Little Drummer Boy" - David Bowie and Bing Crosby
    I'll second the "Little Drummer Boy/Peace on Earth" duet by David Bowie and Bing Crosby.

Also - The King's Singers - I have "A Little Christmas Music" but will be looking to add their other two.

Gotta admit, the "Deck the halls, bruise your hand" CD by Relient K has been a Christmas staple the past few years for me and my familyl

Celtic Woman has a great Christmas record, though I'm not sure what its called. It's a darker than most Christmas albums, but that's what Irish music is. Great stuff.

The Blind Boys of Alabama have a wonderful Christmas album.

Quote Originally Posted by Methodistman View Post
    Gotta admit, the "Deck the halls, bruise your hand" CD by Relient K has been a Christmas staple the past few years for me and my familyl
    I had never heard of that, but I'll have to check it out, certainly sounds intriguing...

There's a Christmas album by the a capella band Rockapella, if you like that kind of thing. Some of the songs are quite good, including a version of Please Come Home for Christmas that I think sounds really great (much better than the original). Album is Comfort & Joy, I recommend you check it out.

Another a capella album I like is An Acappella Christmas by Glad. Its more religious, with some standards and some that I'm not as familiar with. To be honest the only song I really remember form the album is "In the First Light" which is one of my favorite non-traditional Christmas songs.

There are some other more traditional albums I'll mention later, I need to go check the collection. And for the record, those two a cappella ablums are the only a cappella albums I own. I'm not actually a fan of a cappella in general, but those two albums were great.

You have to buy this compilation CD to get it

http://www.amazon.com/Kate-Benefit-K.../dp/B000BC8SRO

but the version of Oh Holy Night by Jason and the Scorchers (a roots-rock/alt country group from Texas) is my favorite Christmas song ever.

They do it as a stright up rock and roll song, with incredible drum work. While it sounds like that might take away from the traditionally sweet and religious nature of the song, it doesn't - it actually works. Both folks I know who thought they would hat it because they love the traidional way the song is done, and folks I know who don't like the traditional, love this version.

These have been some great ideas - the internet has a provided well.

Of all the Christmas music, anyone care to guess which song I have the most versions of? 14 different artists did a total of 16 versions of this song...

I actually like several of the versions MercyMe does for their Christmas album.

Particularly notable are 'What Child Is This' (the last part is awesome) and an upbeat version (different, but I like it) of 'Silent Night'.

I also have God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen, O Holy Night, Little Drummer Boy and It Came Upon a Midnight Clear.

Manheim Steamroller of course has some classics (I like Hark the Herald {Trumpet, Angel} Sing, O Come O Come Emmanuel, Deck the Halls and Little Drummer Boy.

Trans-Siberian Orchestra too: What Child Is This (2nd half is basically a new song), Sarajevo 12/24, etc.

I'm still on the lookout for a good version of Mary's Boy Child...

Quote Originally Posted by snowdenscold View Post

The only one I have is Harry Belafonte.

----------------
    Now playing: Harry Belafonte - Mary`s Boy Child
    via FoxyTunes

Quote Originally Posted by snowdenscold View Post
    I actually like several of the versions MercyMe does for their Christmas album.

Particularly notable are 'What Child Is This' (the last part is awesome) and an upbeat version (different, but I like it) of 'Silent Night'.

I also have God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen, O Holy Night, Little Drummer Boy and It Came Upon a Midnight Clear.

Manheim Steamroller of course has some classics (I like Hark the Herald {Trumpet, Angel} Sing, O Come O Come Emmanuel, Deck the Halls and Little Drummer Boy.

Trans-Siberian Orchestra too: What Child Is This (2nd half is basically a new song), Sarajevo 12/24, etc.

I like Anne Murray's version - on an old CD http://www.amazon.com/Christmas-Anne...outThisProduct