Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Duke vs. Presbyterian Postgame Thread

80-49 victory for the good guys. Your comments go here!

Liked what I saw from Miles. Did not expect him to be as physically mature as he is. Kyle played great.

Obviously a little slow start for the good guys, but it's early.

Go Duke!

Those 30 seconds sure were fun.

Good game from Nolan too 15 points. LT also had a strong game with 12 points and 5 reb. Hopefully he will give us a consistant output like tonight.

Great game crazies! Nice and loud the whole game...but I do have a question. Was I hearing things, or was there a 'tar' 'heels' call and answer chant going on? Please tell me it wasn't and that my hearing's just going bad!

A win is a win. Sort of reminded me or the 05-06 opener against Boston. Struggled to set a pace and find a rhythm, but still got the job done. I was impressed with Singler as always. I think Nolan will settle in a the point, I just hope it doesn't effect Greg's ability to get hot and hit his outside shots. On the inside, Lance looks like he has improved. Elliot, Miles, and Olek are young but each showed signs as Marv Albert would say. I'm excited to see tomorrow's game. Ga Southern two years ago played tough in Cameron for a half. Should be exciting.

Positives:
    1) Scheyer looked amazing in the first half when everyone else was out of sync.
    2) Kyle shot well from the free throw line and looked especially chippy out of the gate... even though he forgot how to hit a layup
    3) After a very very rough start, Nolan handled the offense well and had great shot selection

Negatives:
    1) I'm not sure, but I think Gerald Henderson played today. He had maybe two good drives to the right for the bank shot, but was largely absent.
    2) The post play was nothing to write home about... especially against Presbyterian
    3) Ball movement was pretty terrible on offense throughout... and as a result the turnovers were numerous (21).

Really liked the look with Smith and Paulus on the floor at the same time. Something just seems like it's missing when Paulus isnt in the huddle doing all the talking. Very good game overall by Smith. Singler makes it looks easy. Hendo will get his, good to see he didnt try and force it too much and end up getting a charge or taking bad shots. Lots of legitimate players on this team, hope K keeps up a good rotation and doesnt trim the bench minutes like he has in the past.

A pretty good season opener for Duke. It did appear that they hit a wall in the 2nd half though. At one point late, they were actually being outscored in the 2nd half.

Did not see it (no ESPNU) -- but can someone please tell me that Zoub fouling out in 7 minutes is a stat mistake???

Absolutely not.

Not Bad

They looked pretty good for their first game. Hopefully the freshman will soon be as comfortable at the beginning of a game as they are at the end. I too was a little confused by the lack of Henderson, but they also have another game tomorrow, so there is no use in wasting energy whey Kyle and Jon were having good games. It just bothered me the Henderson seem to be frustrated when they showed him during timeouts. But I guess we all have bad days at the office.

Go Duke

-Loved the fact that Singler wasn't hanging out around the arc. This was the Kyle we saw for the first half of last season -- attacking, using his versatility, playing with confidence and an edge.

-Loved that Scheyer had the ball in his hands way more than last year, and good things generally happened.

-Loved the activity of McClure and Thomas defensively, on the boards, and even on offense at times.

-Wasn't thrilled with the frosh. Plumlee looked nervous. E-Mail was frantic -- he keeps shuffling his feet like a DB on defense for no reason. Wasteful movement. He needs to calm down. Only got to see Czyz in Garbage Time, but we got the expected dunk and travelling violation. They'll improve. It's very early.

All in all, a fine win. It's hard to take too much away from a game like this. Let's take care of business tomorrow and get ourselves to NY.

Quote Originally Posted by beltwayBD View Post
    Did not see it (no ESPNU) -- but can someone please tell me that Zoub fouling out in 7 minutes is a stat mistake???
    Not a mistake. It was a tough night for Zoubek, although he actually had a nice stretch for about 2 or 3 minutes in the second half. He got called for a couple of cheap fouls, and struggled with the fact that he had like 8 inches on everyone else in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by beltwayBD View Post
    You read correctly. He looked pretty bad much of that time. If there's such a thing as an unimpressive 30-point win, this was it. Tons of fouls and turnovers. Lots of athleticism and good moments, but on the whole I can't say much good about this game. Jon may be the exception. Kyle was incredibly active - it seemed like every possession went through him - but he mixed in some sloppiness of his own with his good play.

Nothing worth worrying about, but nothing much to be impressed with, either. They probably would have played better against a better opponent.

Can somebody please just reassure me by asserting that Gerald is simply coasting right now so he can bring it tomorrow on one night's rest? I mean, I was expecting him to step up right out of the gates and look for playmaking opportunities more. He was a ghost tonight...

Quote Originally Posted by jumbo View Post
    Not a mistake. It was a tough night for Zoubek, although he actually had a nice stretch for about 2 or 3 minutes in the second half. He got called for a couple of cheap fouls, and struggled with the fact that he had like 8 inches on everyone else in the game.

actually, he had 4 in four minutes (before he reached that stretch jumbo mentioned).

your "struggled" comment made me laugh, jumbo. you probably didn't intend it that way.

McClure is going to play a lot more than I initially thought he would. During the two exhibitions and then tonight, when McClure entered the game, the defense picked up significantly.

Duke did go on quite a scoring spurt in the 2nd half for a bit. I believe it was about 7pts in under 10 seconds.

Elliot had a pretty nice 360 dunk at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by gvtucker View Post
    McClure is going to play a lot more than I initially thought he would. During the two exhibitions and then tonight, when McClure entered the game, the defense picked up significantly.
    The other interesting thing was that he played a lot more at the "3" than he ever has. Granted, it was with Singler and Thomas, and Singler functions much like a "3" on offense. But it was a change from McClure's usual role.