Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.

Favorite Thanksgiving Foods?

Thanksgiving is probably my favorite holiday on the calendar. My extended family all live within two hours of each other - all 32 of us - so every year we congregate at a cousin's or aunt's house and have a big family meal. Several family favorites make their appearance every year, and I always look forward to them. It has gotten to the point that it just wouldn't be Thanksgiving without them!

My list of Thanksgiving "must-haves":

Turkey
    Ham
    Cornbread dressing with turkey gravy
    Corn pudding (a heavenly Southern concoction)
    Oyster casserole
    Potato salad (made with mustard and celery seed and onion)
    Gelatin salad with sour cream topping
    Sweet potato casserole
    And, of course, sweet iced tea

Not exactly a nutritionally-balanced meal, but Thanksgiving isn't a time I worry too much about diet.

So, how about other folks out there? Anything you're particular looking forward to making and/or consuming later this month?
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

everything you mentioned minus {oyster, sweet tea, gelatin salad} plus pecan pie

oh and I don't know what corn pudding is but I'll take some

About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.
    Quote Originally Posted by hc5duke View Post
    everything you mentioned minus {oyster, sweet tea, gelatin salad} plus pecan pie

oh and I don't know what corn pudding is but I'll take some
    I don't have my mom's recipe, but this sounds pretty close: http://kidscooking.about.com/od/side...rn_pudding.htm

You can make it with creamed corn or evaporated milk and it comes out sweeter/creamier. Personally, I like it better with regular corn and regular milk - for a truer corn taste. (Kind of like if you like your cornbread sweet or savory...)
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

Pecan Pie
    Sausage Stuffing
    Jeremy's Whisky Gravy
    Whisky

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Cranberry
    Pumpkin pie
    french green bean casserole

I've started buying some of the food already when I see it at the store. I love Thanksgiving. Spending from 6am in the kitchen to eating time is the best day, surrounded by family, completely relaxing. Only 4 of us, but I'll probably be cooking for 8!

Whole cranberry sauce
    My grandma's stuffing
    Pumpkin pie

Turkey gravy,mmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Just about anything in the buffet line with an extra plate for the desserts.

My son is coming from California for Thanksgiving, and he called me last night with his menu request:

Roasted Turkey
    Stuffing
    Mashed Potatoes and Gravy
    Sweet Potatoes
    Broccoli
    Salad (tossed)
    Cranberry Relish
    Crescent Rolls
    Pumpkin Pie
    Sparkling Apple Cider (Martinelli's)

There will also be sweet tea, squash casserole, green bean casserole and pecan pie.

I can't wait to cook for him!

Quote Originally Posted by JBDuke View Post
    Thanksgiving is probably my favorite holiday on the calendar. My extended family all live within two hours of each other - all 32 of us - so every year we congregate at a cousin's or aunt's house and have a big family meal. Several family favorites make their appearance every year, and I always look forward to them. It has gotten to the point that it just wouldn't be Thanksgiving without them!

My list of Thanksgiving "must-haves":

Turkey
    Ham
    Cornbread dressing with turkey gravy
    Corn pudding (a heavenly Southern concoction)
    Oyster casserole
    Potato salad (made with mustard and celery seed and onion)
    Gelatin salad with sour cream topping
    Sweet potato casserole
    And, of course, sweet iced tea

Not exactly a nutritionally-balanced meal, but Thanksgiving isn't a time I worry too much about diet.

So, how about other folks out there? Anything you're particular looking forward to making and/or consuming later this month?
    Oyster casserole? Interesting. I've never had it but would try it in a heartbeat.

For me, it's all the normal stuff: Turkey, tons of gravy and stuffing, cranberry sauce, green beans, ham (with mustard), and pumpkin pie with Whip Cream on top. Oh and yes, sweet iced tea baby!

Then it's off to watch the Detroit Lions lose a football game.

-EJ

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by EarlJam View Post
    Then it's off to watch the Detroit Lions lose a football game.
    Not only do those guys HAVE to work on Thanksgiving, they have to do their jobs badly in front of a television audience.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Not only do those guys HAVE to work on Thanksgiving, they have to do their jobs badly in front of a television audience.
    And get paid ridiculous amounts of money to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by 2535Miles View Post
    And get paid ridiculous amounts of money to do so.
    Are we talking about the Detroit Lions or the media hacks that "call" the Thanksgiving parade?

Quote Originally Posted by EarlJam View Post
    Are we talking about the Detroit Lions or the media hacks that "call" the Thanksgiving parade?
    Both

Being from Detroit, watching the Lions lose has become a tradition. Also growing up for a few years in Dallas/Fort Worth, watching the Cowboys is an equal tradition, as well as Texas-Texas A&M, which is on Thanksgiving this year. Nothing beats appearing on national TV 6 times because your seats are in the first row in the endzone where 6 Indianapolis TDs were scored against the Lions.

Also, in more happier Lions memories, Barry Sanders on Thanksgiving games were some of the best performances ever. I still get goosebumps remembering the entire stadium chanting "Ba-rry!" as loud as humanly possible.
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

Standard turkey fare in our house: turkey, mashed spuds w/ gravy, beans, corn, etc. etc. My faves:

Stuffing, stuffing, and stuffing
    sweet potatoes
    punkin pie

To me, those are really Thanksgiving foods... And then there is rooting for whomever is playing the Cryboys...

But I have yet to experience deep fried turkey - my brother says it's to die for, so he and I are trying to cut some sort of deal with Momma Turk, but she's set in her ways...

And then of course there is the TurDuckEn...

my favorites . . .

creamed onions and sweet potato pie

Don't know if I'll get to bake the persimmon pudding for Thanksgiving or if I'll hold off until Christmas. Oh, and we do two turkeys, one in the oven and one smoked on the grill. YUM!

Didn't we do this same thread last year?

Anyone with personal experience (preparing and/or consuming) a deep-fried turkey?

Curious, but a little wary. There's not much wrong with a good roasted bird.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Anyone with personal experience (preparing and/or consuming) a deep-fried turkey?

Yeah, I've done it, numerous times, and WADR, it's over-rated.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post

My dad has fixed one for the past 5 or 6 thanksgivings. I won't have it any other way, it's delishhhh. I, however, have nothing to do with the preperation of it, only the consumption. I can ask him for some tips, though and report back.