View Poll Results: If the Turkey was our National Bird, would we still eat it?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, we would still "gobble" it down in force.

13 76.47%
  • No, it would be forbidden to eat turkey on Thanksgiving.

0 0%
  • It would be forbidden to kill or eat turkey at any time.

1 5.88%
  • We would eat Eagle for Thanksgiving.

3 17.65%

National Bird/Thanksgiving Inquiry

The turkey came very close to being our national bird (instead of the eagle).

If the turkey would have won the election and became our national bird, do you think we'd still eat it every Thanksgiving? Or at any momemnt in the year for that matter (e.g., turkey chili before a football game, turkey sub from Subway or Steve's Sub Shop, etc.)

-EarlJam

About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.
    I don't know how close it really was. Franklin argued for the turkey on pragmatic terms, but it hardly strikes the image one wants to project.

And as for eating it on Thanksgiving, one of the prime reasons that Franklin promoted the turkey was due to the important role it played as food for the early colonists. I would think that eating a turkey would be exactly the best way to honor it for that role.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

Quote Originally Posted by EarlJam View Post
    The turkey came very close to being our national bird (instead of the eagle).

If the turkey would have won the election and became our national bird, do you think we'd still eat it every Thanksgiving? Or at any momemnt in the year for that matter (e.g., turkey chili before a football game, turkey sub from Subway or Steve's Sub Shop, etc.)

-EarlJam
    Not to undermine the amazingness of this poll, but I don't think "the turkey came very close to being our national bird." If my American history knowledge is correct, I recall that Ben Franklin wrote that he though the turkey would have been a better choice many years after the selection of the eagle. So, it was just him, and far after the fact. I wouldn't call this "very close."

Excerpt from a letter to his daughter:
    "I am on this account not displeased that the Figure is not known as a Bald Eagle, but looks more like a Turkey. For the Truth the Turkey is in Comparison a much more respectable Bird, and withal a true original Native of America . . . He is besides, though a little vain & silly, a Bird of Courage, and would not hesitate to attack a Grenadier of the British Guards who should presume to invade his Farm Yard with a red Coat on."
    http://www.greatseal.com/symbols/turkey.html

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Not to undermine the amazingness of this poll, but I don't think "the turkey came very close to being our national bird." If my American history knowledge is correct, I recall that Ben Franklin wrote that he though the turkey would have been a better choice many years after the selection of the eagle. So, it was just him, and far after the fact. I wouldn't call this "very close."
    You and JBDuke are ignoring or simply may not be aware of the historic meeting/conversation that took place behind a small bar in Philly between Franklin and Hamilton in 1778.......
    -----

Franklin: Man, I know we've all been discussing what the national bird should be. Looks like everyone's leaning Eagle, but that is SO bogus.

Hamilton: Hey man, to tell you the truth, I've got bigger fish to fry, but I have to say I like the Eagle as a symbol for our new country. Why are you so down on it?

Franklin:
    Dude. Have you been over Steve McCracken's place to try his turkey and gravy biscuits? Sweet Jesus in a butter churner. Delicious. Every time I eat that turkey dish I think about how much flavor America has, and how so many people thought we were 'turkeys' for declaring our independence. 'Gobbledeegook," is what they all said. Metaphorically speaking, the turkey has it all over the eagle when it comes to being our national bird.

Hamilton: Golly. I never thought of it quite like that. You know what? I have a contact who will have a lot of influence on this decision. Most people don't realize this, but he'll make the official decision. His name is Burr. Aaron Burr.

Franklin: Oh yes, I know him. Kind of blowhard isn't he? When I was in France he used to send me messages insisting that I lose weight and stop all the "dreaming" with my "hair brained" ideas. And last July he sent me a boiled rabbit. Weird dude man.

Hamilton: Snap. Yes, but he owes me a favor big time. Last month a few of the locals caught him and Sam Adams with a goat, if you know what I mean (chuckle). I told him I'd silence the witnesses and make certain word wouldn't get out. Yes Ben, I'm sure if I communicate your Turkey argument to him that he'll come through. In fact, by this time next week, you can count on the Turkey being our national bird!

Franklin: Fo shizzle!? Thanks Alex! Man, you rock! You know, after reading the Federalist Papers, what a bunch of crap, I always thought you were full of it. But now? Man. You my favorite honkey. Thanks for doing me a solid!

[INSERT MONTAGE]

[ONE WEEK LATER]

Franklin: Hey, Alex! My main man! How'd it go?

Hamilton: Don't wanna talk about it.

Franklin: What?

Hamilton (sighing): Okay. Look Ben. I'm sorry. I really pissed him off. Turns out Aaron really has strong feelings for eagles.

Franklin: Really?

Hamilton: Really. I told him your argument and he just started shaking, sweating, and twirling his fingleshzootzer. I have to tell you it really freaked me out.

Franklin: It would me too.

Hamilton: Burr told me some story about an eagle saving his girlfriend's life when he was 21. He was so out of sorts, I didn't question him any more.

Franklin: Dang.

Hamilton: Yeah. I just did a 180 and started walking back to the carriage. Hey, but get this. Just as I was getting in the carriage, he just bellowed, "I'll get you for this Hamilton! I swear to God! I'll get you for this if it's the last thing I ever do!"

Franklin: What the hell did he mean by that?

Hamilton: Beats me.

Franklin: What a nut.

Hamilton: What an idiot.

[laughter]

Franklin: Well thanks for trying anyway. I really appreciate it. We almost made the turkey our bird.

Hamilton. Ha, ha, ha. "The turkey?" The bird or Aaron?

[both laugh hysterically]

Franklin: Come on, let's go grab a brew.

Hamilton (slapping Franklin on the back): You got it my friend! I could use one.

Franklin: That's the first time you've accepted my offer. Usually you just tell me to 'go fly a kite."

[canned laughter]

[Insert What's Happenin' themesong]

[Roll Credits]

-EarlJam

You and JBDuke are ignoring or simply may not be aware of the historic meeting/conversation that took place behind a small bar in Philly between Franklin and Hamilton in 1778.......
    -----

Franklin: Man, I know we've all been discussing what the national bird should be. Looks like everyone's leaning Eagle, but that is SO bogus.

Hamilton: Hey man, to tell you the truth, I've got bigger fish to fry, but I have to say I like the Eagle as a symbol for our new country. Why are you so down on it?

Franklin:
    Dude. Have you been over Steve McCracken's place to try his turkey and gravy biscuits? Sweet Jesus in a butter churner. Delicious. Every time I eat that turkey dish I think about how much flavor America has, and how so many people thought we were 'turkeys' for declaring our independence. 'Gobbledeegook," is what they all said. Metaphorically speaking, the turkey has it all over the eagle when it comes to being our national bird.

Hamilton: Golly. I never thought of it quite like that. You know what? I have a contact who will have a lot of influence on this decision. Most people don't realize this, but he'll make the official decision. His name is Burr. Aaron Burr.

Franklin: Oh yes, I know him. Kind of blowhard isn't he? When I was in France he used to send me messages insisting that I lose weight and stop all the "dreaming" with my "hair brained" ideas. And last July he sent me a boiled rabbit. Weird dude man.

Hamilton: Snap. Yes, but he owes me a favor big time. Last month a few of the locals caught him and Sam Adams with a goat, if you know what I mean (chuckle). I told him I'd silence the witnesses and make certain word wouldn't get out. Yes Ben, I'm sure if I communicate your Turkey argument to him that he'll come through. In fact, by this time next week, you can count on the Turkey being our national bird!

Franklin: Fo shizzle!? Thanks Alex! Man, you rock! You know, after reading the Federalist Papers, what a bunch of crap, I always thought you were full of it. But now? Man. You my favorite honkey. Thanks for doing me a solid!

[INSERT MONTAGE]

[ONE WEEK LATER]

Franklin: Hey, Alex! My main man! How'd it go?

Hamilton: Don't wanna talk about it.

Franklin: What?

Hamilton (sighing): Okay. Look Ben. I'm sorry. I really pissed him off. Turns out Aaron really has strong feelings for eagles.

Franklin: Really?

Hamilton: Really. I told him your argument and he just started shaking, sweating, and twirling his fingleshzootzer. I have to tell you it really freaked me out.

Franklin: It would me too.

Hamilton: Burr told me some story about an eagle saving his girlfriend's life when he was 21. He was so out of sorts, I didn't question him any more.

Franklin: Dang.

Hamilton: Yeah. I just did a 180 and started walking back to the carriage. Hey, but get this. Just as I was getting in the carriage, he just bellowed, "I'll get you for this Hamilton! I swear to God! I'll get you for this if it's the last thing I ever do!"

Franklin: What the hell did he mean by that?

Hamilton: Beats me.

Franklin: What a nut.

Hamilton: What an idiot.

[laughter]

Franklin: Well thanks for trying anyway. I really appreciate it. We almost made the turkey our bird.

Hamilton. Ha, ha, ha. "The turkey?" The bird or Aaron?

[both laugh hysterically]

Franklin: Come on, let's go grab a brew.

Hamilton (slapping Franklin on the back): You got it my friend! I could use one.

Franklin: That's the first time you've accepted my offer. Usually you just tell me to 'go fly a kite."

[canned laughter]

[Roll Credits]

-EarlJam
    I.

Just.

Can't.

Laughing.

Too.

Hard.

Must.

Breathe.

Now.

Which part does Rerun play?

-----
    <snip>

[canned laughter]

[Roll Credits]

-EarlJam
    What's Happenin'!?!?!?! The show that gave us "Which Doobie you be?" That was "What's Happening!!" (TWO exclamations).

The only thing missing from the scene is Dwayne shouting out "Hey, hey, hey!"

And believe it or not, EarlJam, there's a scene in "1776, the musical" in which Ben Franklin and John Adams debate the turkey/eagle problem. They had this stuff in a MUSICAL! And oddly enough, who played Thomas Jefferson?

The White Shadow.

Cheers,
    Lavabe

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    We'd be eating it, but might have to sing the national anthem before hand.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Now that you are bringing up late 70's, early 80's sitcoms, does anyone remember the turkey promotion that WKRP in Cincinnati had, where they threw a bunch of frozen turkeys out of a plane?

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Now that you are bringing up late 70's, early 80's sitcoms, does anyone remember the turkey promotion that WKRP in Cincinnati had, where they threw a bunch of frozen turkeys out of a plane?
    "As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly."

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    "As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly."
    An Atlanta-based radio station (790 the Zone, WQXI) claims to be the basis of that WKRP incident.

Sound like a little Snopes work is in order.

Cheers,
    Lavabe

Just went and watched the last 5 minutes of that episode, still laughing. My memory was fuzzy, the turkeys weren't frozen after all. HA!