Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Generic BCS thread

Let me know if there's already a BCS thread, but I didn't find one.

So, PSU goes down. Texas Tech has a tough one in a few hours with Ok St. Alabama is in a nail biter with LSU, but my guess is they'll pull it out. If Alabama or Texas Tech loses, what then? There are a mountain of one loss teams, so we may be shaping up for yet another BCS apocalypse.

Quote Originally Posted by billybreen View Post
    Let me know if there's already a BCS thread, but I didn't find one.

So, PSU goes down. Texas Tech has a tough one in a few hours with Ok St. Alabama is in a nail biter with LSU, but my guess is they'll pull it out. If Alabama or Texas Tech loses, what then? There are a mountain of one loss teams, so we may be shaping up for yet another BCS apocalypse.
    I don't think Alabama is good enough to win out. They lose at some point. Ditto for Texas Tech. I'll say--as of today--Florida vs. USC. The B12 teams cancel each other out and the Gators beat Alabama in the SEC Title Game.

I want a rematch of UT-TT. An all-Texas championship... thy will be done.

I'm just happy we don't have to talk about Penn State anymore. Good bye Big Televen. Thanks for playing. I readily admit I am drunk on the Kool Aid that wishes the Big Televen would go away this year. That being said, I would have loved it if a one loss team had overtaken an undefeated Penn State to the championship game so I could hear the Big Televen commissioner continue to defend the BCS.

Now that we don't have to worry about Penn State getting slammed in Miami, let's get to it: I am glad the computers have UT as the best one loss team, but I really think Florida is probably better. In the long run, though, I won't argue against any one loss Big XII or SEC team in the championship game over another. Just too close. People are going to be upset about the final outcome, and that's the hidden genious in the BCS.

The bowls will tell, but Big XII south best "division" in the BCS era? Discuss.

I think Texas has the best shot at winning out and winning the Big 12 Championship. If they finish the season with only their one loss at Texas Tech, I think they deserve to play in the championship game. It's looking like their opponent will come down to the winner of the Florida/Alabama game in Atlanta. I really hope the Tide rolls through Florida because my hatred for Tim Tebow and Urban Meyer is probably growing to an unhealthy level. There's still a ton of football to be played though.

Quote Originally Posted by ugadevil View Post
    I think Texas has the best shot at winning out and winning the Big 12 Championship. If they finish the season with only their one loss at Texas Tech, I think they deserve to play in the championship game. It's looking like their opponent will come down to the winner of the Florida/Alabama game in Atlanta. I really hope the Tide rolls through Florida because my hatred for Tim Tebow and Urban Meyer is probably growing to an unhealthy level. There's still a ton of football to be played though.
    A Big-12 / SEC BCS title game is the best case scenario. In that case, you are effectively treating the SEC and Big-12 championship games as a Final Four and we are ever so close to the idyllic playoff system advocated by our president-elect. I don't want any crap Pac-10 or Big-10 teams ruining that dream.

Quote Originally Posted by rockymtn devil View Post
    I don't think Alabama is good enough to win out. They lose at some point. Ditto for Texas Tech. I'll say--as of today--Florida vs. USC. The B12 teams cancel each other out and the Gators beat Alabama in the SEC Title Game.
    While Alabama could definitely lose the SEC title game, it's hard to see them losing either of the next two (Miss St / Auburn).

Texas against the winner of Oklahoma/Texas Tech.

Florida doesn't deserve a spot over Texas right now. Blowout of Georgia on a neutral field roughly cancels a close win over Oklahoma on a neutral field. A home blowout of LSU is about the same as a home blowout of Missouri. A loss at home to Ole Miss is much worse than a loss on the road to Texas Tech. That leaves Texas with a win over Oklahoma State, and Florida has nothing comparable to that. After that it's a bunch of blowouts of bad teams.

What if FSU beats Florida and then Florida turns around and beats Alabama? I'm pulling for complete chaos!

Red face Well...

Looks like Texas Tech had a good night. I guess it's down to 'Bama and TT this morning. Guess I would have to go with TT; strange to say, but I don't think the SEC is the best conference this year.

Uh oh ... I expect a volley from ugadevil.

Cheers,
    Lavabe

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    Looks like Texas Tech had a good night. I guess it's down to 'Bama and TT this morning. Guess I would have to go with TT; strange to say, but I don't think the SEC is the best conference this year.

Uh oh ... I expect a volley from ugadevil.

Cheers,
    Lavabe
    The reporters on ESPN's The Sportsreporters concure with your statement. The SEC is definitely down this year.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    The reporters on ESPN's The Sportsreporters concure with your statement. The SEC is definitely down this year.
    The Big Eight/Southwest Conference (err, the older versions of the Big Twelve) seems LOADED this year. TT, T, OK, OkSt, and Mizzou make a great selection of teams.

Who can figure out this conference?

Cheers,
    Lavabe

For the record, I (very gently) am not a fan of LSU. They win the games they shouldn't and lose the ones they should (ahem, read: Alabama).

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    Texas against the winner of Oklahoma/Texas Tech.

Florida doesn't deserve a spot over Texas right now. Blowout of Georgia on a neutral field roughly cancels a close win over Oklahoma on a neutral field. A home blowout of LSU is about the same as a home blowout of Missouri. A loss at home to Ole Miss is much worse than a loss on the road to Texas Tech. That leaves Texas with a win over Oklahoma State, and Florida has nothing comparable to that. After that it's a bunch of blowouts of bad teams.
    Agree completely. I find this Florida team pretty boring and forgettable, so having them in the title game would be wrong (unless everyone else drops to 2 losses, which is highly unlikely).

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    The Big Eight/Southwest Conference (err, the older versions of the Big Twelve) seems LOADED this year. TT, T, OK, OkSt, and Mizzou make a great selection of teams.

Who can figure out this conference?

Cheers,
    Lavabe
    I have complete Matt Leinart/Ademola Okulaja disease about Tech's victory against Texas. I"m still stewing about that one. Horrible, horrible offensive game plan against the Tech defense in the first half, drops, and refusing to play our best running back until the end of third quarter. The second half of that game was what I was expecting.

And what kills me -- even though Harrell and Crabtree are amazing -- Texas held Tech to 4 offensive touchdowns and was one second away from holding the Tech offense to 3 points in the second half. And people act like Tech's offense dismantled Texas. Tech's defense is what stepped up in the first half and is the main reason they won that game (with help from Greg Davis and the dropsies).
    /rant

If OU beats TT and everything else holds to form, the highest ranking Big 12 South team in the BCS gets to teh championship game. No clue who that would be. If that team loses to Mizzou, though, I think you see one of the two others sneaking in a la Nebraska in 2001. It'll be a fun ride -- and I highly suspect something unexpected happens along the way.

The winner of Florida-Alabama is a lock to make the final game unless Fla blows it to FSU and then beats Alabama.

If Oklahoma beats Texas Tech then I do not know what you do with the Big 12. Ok over TT, T over Ok, and TT over T. How do you figure out which of those 3 teams gets to play for the title?!?!?! Does anyone know how the Big 12 does the tiebreaker to get into the title game? Whew, what a mess!!

I just want to be sure that there is no way USC slips in there.

What does the BCS do with Utah and Boise State? They will both be unbeaten and easily in the BCS top 10. Heck, Utah will likely be in the BCS top 5. Some good Big 12 team is gonna go to a lousy bowl so that these clubs can make it to a BCS game and get pounded.

--Jason "BCS chaos = playoff... someday" Evans

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    How do you figure out which of those 3 teams gets to play for the title?!?!?! Does anyone know how the Big 12 does the tiebreaker to get into the title game?
    There are a list of like 5 tiebreakers, but none of them break the tie, so it goes to the team that's highest in the BCS. If OU beats Tech and everything holds to form, I think they have the inside track. Texas is ahead of them now, but after OU plays Tech and OSU, they may catch up. Texas has Mizzou in its bag and must hope that Mizzou continues to win. OU must hope the same for TCU. Tech is screwed in a 3-way tie because of the 2 1-AA teams on its schedule.

And BTW -- every voter that voted for OU over UT in the Harris and Coaches polls (and the one Harris poll voter who put Texas ahead of Tech) should be ashamed...

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post

I just want to be sure that there is no way USC slips in there.
    Hey! Show a little love.

It's a hot mess (as it usually is this time of year) and I can't wait to watch it unfold.

PLAYOFFS, dangit.

Quote Originally Posted by dukegirlinsc View Post
    It's a hot mess (as it usually is this time of year) and I can't wait to watch it unfold.

PLAYOFFS, dangit.
    Agreed. I actually think college football is my favorite sport. I like it more than any pro sports, and I think I even prefer it to college hoops (perhaps because I don't have any strong allegiances in football, so I can enjoy it without being stressed). With that said, the postseason in college football is a disgrace compared to the month long awesomeness of March Madness.