Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Fulmer out at Tennessee

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3679810

The speculation begins.

Please don't go Cut!!!!

Fortunately, word is a lot of top tier coaches would want the job.

Smile Every Cloud Has a Silver Lining

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3679810

The speculation begins.

Please don't go Cut!!!!

Fortunately, word is a lot of top tier coaches would want the job.
    Suppose Duke had beaten NW and WF and had a record of 6-2. Wouldn't we be sweating bullets about Coach Cut leaving? Maybe we should anyway.

sagegrouse

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I've talked about it before, but I'll say it again. I think Cut is happy where he is, and is not one to leave a job unfinished. He's also a man of loyalty, for what that's worth. Duke has shown him that his program is going to be supported, Kevin White has stressed they will do what it takes to ensure that David Cutcliffe remains at Duke. That's two sides of the fence in mutual agreement, I don't see him leaving now.

P.S. I noticed Tennessee's score yesterday and made a mental note about how that was probably Fulmer's last game.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

I think there is a mutual lack of interest. Cut is too associated with Fulmer. Tenn will want to go in a different direction - younger.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Is money the issue????

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I've talked about it before, but I'll say it again. I think Cut is happy where he is, and is not one to leave a job unfinished. He's also a man of loyalty, for what that's worth. Duke has shown him that his program is going to be supported, Kevin White has stressed they will do what it takes to ensure that David Cutcliffe remains at Duke. That's two sides of the fence in mutual agreement, I don't see him leaving now.

P.S. I noticed Tennessee's score yesterday and made a mental note about how that was probably Fulmer's last game.
    I am thinking along the same lines, CBaB. Duke has given Coach Cutcliffe the opportunity to return to being a head coach while reassembling his staff from Ole Miss. This man understands and values loyalty. What he can accomplish at Duke is the creation of a legacy not possible anywhere else. Somehow I don't think he's the sort of guy who can be bought.

There will be other rumors about possible head coach's jobs while he's at Duke. Let's make sure Coach Cutcliffe knows how special we think he is.

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    I think there is a mutual lack of interest. Cut is too associated with Fulmer. Tenn will want to go in a different direction - younger.
    No inside info, but I agree with this, and CameronBornandBred's post also.

FWIW, the Vols fan message boards don't mention much about Cut. Their dream candidate type seems to be a young, offensive-minded coach.

I called in to a local sports talk radio show here in Richmond on Friday and spoke with Chris Landry. He said that only head coaching jobs at UT or Alabama (Cut's Alma Mater) would woo him away, but he said that he didn't see Cut leaving if the UT job became open this year. He said Cut wasn't the type to pick up and leave that quickly. There was also a reference to him being a little older and he felt like we had Cut for the long term.

See everybody Saturday !!!! Has anybody heard how early they are opening the parking lots?

From Cut's character I can't see him bailing after this year. It may be a blessing that this is happening during Cut's first season. We really need to pack Wallace Wade Sat. and bring a good effort as fans. Let Coach and the team know how proud we are of what they are accomplishing.

We also need to see some improvements to the stadium and facilities so Coach Cut knows we are committed to football.

Cut

I can't see the Vols hiring Cutcliffe. He's a great coach, but 1) he's too old and 2) he is a known commodity, he has a defined ceiling.

For a school like Duke, a perennial laughing stock, a guy like Cutcliffe makes sense, instant credibility and experience and lower expectations. For a school like UT, a program that is use to being a contender every year, they need a home run candidate. They need a guy who can battle the younger coaching talents (Meyer, Miles, Saban, etc) in the SEC.

I think Mike Leach would be ideal, but I can't see him leaving Tech. Butch Davis is another great candidate to me...the guy is one of the best recruiters out there.

Quote Originally Posted by studdlee10 View Post
    I can't see the Vols hiring Cutcliffe. He's a great coach, but 1) he's too old and 2) he is a known commodity, he has a defined ceiling.

For a school like Duke, a perennial laughing stock, a guy like Cutcliffe makes sense, instant credibility and experience and lower expectations. For a school like UT, a program that is use to being a contender every year, they need a home run candidate. They need a guy who can battle the younger coaching talents (Meyer, Miles, Saban, etc) in the SEC.

I think Mike Leach would be ideal, but I can't see him leaving Tech. Butch Davis is another great candidate to me...the guy is one of the best recruiters out there.

Go ahead, Butch, take the job

It will be interesting to see what they do.

I read somewhere (probably baseless speculation) that Tenn. wants someone with head coaching experience only, which likely rules out Lane Kiffin (can you count the Raiders?) and Will Muschamp (thank God!).

I could see them going after Todd Graham at Tulsa or even Mike Gundy (if he's willing to leave his alma mater). Perhaps even Gary Pinkel (although I don't think he's that good of a coach and he may be up for Washington).

I doubt Cutcliffe goes - and as others have said, it's probably a mutual thing. Too many factors weigh against it: age, Fulmer was his good friend, only first year at Duke, no non-Eli success at Ole Miss (although in fairness, he only had one year after Eli left before they canned him), etc.

Butch Davis

We need to get Butch the h-e-Double Hockey Sticks out of UNC. He is recruiting too well. Duke does not need a superpower literally in our back yard, and UNC will be there in 3-4 years. Go to UT and prove you are a great coach.
    Last edited by Diddy; 11-03-2008 at 02:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by A-Tex Devil View Post
    It will be interesting to see what they do.

I read somewhere (probably baseless speculation) that Tenn. wants someone with head coaching experience only, which likely rules out Lane Kiffin (can you count the Raiders?) and Will Muschamp (thank God!).

I could see them going after Todd Graham at Tulsa or even Mike Gundy (if he's willing to leave his alma mater). Perhaps even Gary Pinkel (although I don't think he's that good of a coach and he may be up for Washington).

I doubt Cutcliffe goes - and as others have said, it's probably a mutual thing. Too many factors weigh against it: age, Fulmer was his good friend, only first year at Duke, no non-Eli success at Ole Miss (although in fairness, he only had one year after Eli left before they canned him), etc.
    I think this is the most important point made in this thread. For all the talk of Cut's loyalty in this thread, it's all related back to his loyalty to Duke. I suspect he has much loyalty to Coach Fulmer and I can't imagine he'd be interested in replacing him in these circumstances. When Ohio State forced John Cooper out, Walt Harris (still a hot coaching commodity) was viewed as a likely replacement. He pulled his name from contention pretty early on in the process. I see Cut doing the same.

Quote Originally Posted by rockymtn devil View Post
    I think this is the most important point made in this thread. For all the talk of Cut's loyalty in this thread, it's all related back to his loyalty to Duke. I suspect he has much loyalty to Coach Fulmer and I can't imagine he'd be interested in replacing him in these circumstances. When Ohio State forced John Cooper out, Walt Harris (still a hot coaching commodity) was viewed as a likely replacement. He pulled his name from contention pretty early on in the process. I see Cut doing the same.
    And to clarify - I should have said Fulmer IS his good friend.

Quote Originally Posted by A-Tex Devil View Post
    And to clarify - I should have said Fulmer IS his good friend.
    I think all of you are crazy! If UT comes knocking in December and Fullmer doesn't have a problem with Cutcliffe succeeding him, he's gone. I don't think loyalty to Duke is that strong after 6-7 months.

My hope is that UT doesn't come knocking - let's all hope they go after one of many bright young coaches.

I think Cutcliffe is a man of class and loyalty. And if he decides that he wants to stay at Duke, I really wouldn't be surprised at all.

But even with blue-tinted glasses, one has to admit there's a very good possibility that Tennessee is going to make a push at Cutcliffe. It passes the logic test. With Tennessee being the program it is, I'm sure Cutcliffe won't be the only candidate (Lane Kiffin immediately comes to mind). But Cutcliffe's going to get a phone call from Tennessee's AD at the very, very least.

As crazy as this might sound, Cutcliffe leaving or staying wouldn't surprise me either way. I think he came to Duke with a plan and has intentions of completing that plan.

But to get another chance to coach in the SEC and to coach at a blue-blood program like Tennessee (a place he's already familiar with) is a lot to pass up.

We shall see. As an alum, I truly hope he stays at Duke...

Quote Originally Posted by arnie is still king View Post
    I think all of you are crazy! If UT comes knocking in December and Fullmer doesn't have a problem with Cutcliffe succeeding him, he's gone. I don't think loyalty to Duke is that strong after 6-7 months.

My hope is that UT doesn't come knocking - let's all hope they go after one of many bright young coaches.
    One of the pluses - Cut is paid well - 1.5 million, plus.

One of the negatives - apparently there is no buyout in Cut's contract at Duke - based on other posts which seem credible to this poster.

You are probably right that if UT offers he goes. I find it persuasive that UT may want to go younger.

But, if we are offering 1.5, we will have other good coaches interested in the Duke job. Cut is a good coach...but, there are others out there - fear not.

cutcliffe

is not old -- he's two years younger than butch davis. and I am convinced he will be remain the duke coach and make this program as good as it can be, whatever that is.

Take Butch and leave Cut alone please.

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Tenn will want to go in a different direction - younger.
    How old is Steve Logan? He's certainly offensive minded and has head coaching experience.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com