Page 3 of 126 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mgtr View Post
    Do we really want him, or is this just grasping at straws? I'm not persuaded that we need to get an 09 point guard.
    We certainly don't need him. And I don't think anyone should be upset if/when he commits elsewhere. But as I said in an earlier post if Nolan's OK with playing both guard spots then having a one-and-done guard for 2009 would not be a bad thing, whether it's Wall or someone else. Of course, not having such a guard wouldn't be a bad thing, either. I think our backcourt will be just fine with what we have.

So, my conclusion would be if K and the staff want him then we want him and if they don't then we don't. (And, yes, I realize I have an enormous grasp of the obvious.)

We may only have 4 guards in the 09 season if Gerald leaves and if Marty stays which is kinda thin imo.

And if Gerald stays, which is my best guess? Then we should be fine. Plus, we may have somebody drop into our laps, a la Miles Plumlee (a very good drop).

You really think Gerald is staying? If he has a break out season, which we all know he is capable of, his draft stock will shoot through the roof.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Let's go over some general stuff first.

There seems to be a fair amount of cirumstantial evidence that John Wall, at present, is inclined to spend one year in college before leaving for the NBA.

Mike Krzyzewski discussed his thoughts on recruiting potential one-and-dones on several occasions earlier this year.

He indicated that he is open to recruiting players from that pool if those players are willing to "unpack their bags."

What does that mean? A couple of things.

First, he wants players who will be fully invested in Duke for as long as they are at Duke. Take academics seriously. Be a part of the team. Be a part of the community. Be here.

Second. Put the NBA on the back-burner until the end of the year. The NBA is not going anywhere and they don't hold the draft in February. The end of the season is the proper time to gather information on one's NBA status and the time to make any decision based on that information.

Now Wall goes to a high school that doesn't exactly turn out a lot of Duke-caliber students. That doesn't preclude the possibility that Wall is a Duke-caliber student. The Duke staff takes this stuff seriously and this will be the first hoop to be jumped through.

Let's assume that Wall passes that test. The next part will be the unpacking-the-bags-part. This works both ways. Duke would have to be convinced that Wall would do the things they want and Wall would have to be convinced that going to Duke is in his best interests.

This assumes, of course, that the mutual interest is there. No one doubts that Wall is a superb basketball player. Are he and Duke a good fit? TBD.

All of this stuff, btw, applies to a lot of other top-five prepsters.

A couple of additional things. There is some indication that Wall is not interested in making a decision until spring. So this wouldn't have to be a quickie courtship. Plenty of time for the principals to get to know each other and evaluate each other.

Finally, Wall and Kelly have been AAU teammates and by all indications, have a high regard for each other. At the very least, an additional source of information for both sides. Maybe more, maybe not.

I've been skeptical of any serious Duke-Wall interest for some time but I may well have been wrong. Wouldn't be the first time. So, I'll wait and see what, if anything develops. Along with lots of other people.
    Jim,
    As usual, very well said. I have one question that may be silly. However, that has never stopped me before. Do you think there is any chance might influence Kelly to consider leaving early? Just a thought. I mean, if they're good buds and all...

Thanks.

Right, and if pigs had wings, .... I hope Hendo has a great season, but that doesn't mean he is automatic for the NBA. At what position? PG? Not likely, although Markie may pull it off. Shooting guard? Not his real strength. Small forward, too small. I just think he needs more time to develop into a shooting guard. He is a great size for a wing player in college, but I don't quite see how that translates to the NBA. Best bet: Stay in college, work on your outside shot (which I understand he is doing).
    I think he will be fine in the NBA, but not next year. He needs to finish school.

Quote Originally Posted by 3rd Dukie View Post
    Jim,
    As usual, very well said. I have one question that may be silly. However, that has never stopped me before. Do you think there is any chance might influence Kelly to consider leaving early? Just a thought. I mean, if they're good buds and all...

Thanks.
    I'm not Jim, but I'll answer anyway. Kelly's got a long way to go before his body's ready for the NBA. Right now, his body's not really even ready for the ACC. I wouldn't worry about Kelly leaving in a hurry.

The big difference between Maggette and Deng and Wall is that neither of the first two was viewed as likely to go to the NBA after one year.
    That's a good point. But Duke has recruited one-and-done types before. Take Shaun Livingston, for example. If Coach K thinks Wall can help the team win in 2009-2010, then I don't think he will hesitate to recruit him. We've got Thornton coming in 2010, so a one-and-done PG in 2009 might actually be a good fit.

Does anyone else have a hard time believing Baylor is the team to beat in this recruitment? I know Wall's AAU coach is there now, and I know there might be some sketchy behind-the-scenes stuff going on there. But, seriously? Baylor? If the guy wants to be a lottery pick, it would probably be helpful to go somewhere that has games on TV more than 5 times in the whole season.

Believe it or not but when Duke recruited Livingston, they fully expected to have him for at least two seasons. Maybe they misread him, maybe he misled Duke. More likely, things just changed. But that's another can of worms.

McRoberts was probably viewed as more of a one-and-done risk than Livingston, although Duke did expect him to play at least two years.

But again, this is a subject that K has discussed in public very candidly and I suspect an area in which he has moved somewhat over the years.

It should also be noted that K has indicated that he has no problem with players going directly from high school to the NBA but that he favors a longer mandatory committment to college for those who elect to go to college.

Not naming names here because I can't prove it, but sources that I trust have indicated to me that some of last year's freshman-to-NBA-players literally didn't bother to even show up for class in the second semester of their sole college year. That's the kind of situation K wants to avoid.

Didn't see the question on Kelly on the previous page until after the previous posting.

I can't imagine Kelly even thinking of the NBA until after his junior year. His parents are Yale alums, his mother is an academic, he is a superb student at an expensive, academically elite private school.

Virtually every athlete who comes to Duke pays lip service to the value of a Duke degree. Almost all mean it to a certain extent. But I think Kelly is on the side of the continuum occupied by Duke students who have never set foot on an athletic field a day in their lives. NBA or no NBA, he strikes me as a kid who isn't going to lightly give up a Duke education or a Duke degree.

Not naming names here because I can't prove it, but sources that I trust have indicated to me that some of last year's freshman-to-NBA-players literally didn't bother to even show up for class in the second semester of their sole college year. That's the kind of situation K wants to avoid.
    Yes, and this Duke fan as well.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

... Not naming names here because I can't prove it, but sources that I trust have indicated to me that some of last year's freshman-to-NBA-players literally didn't bother to even show up for class in the second semester of their sole college year. ...
    Cough (Derrick Rose) Cough

Cough (Michael Beasley) Cough

Cough (O.J. Mayo) Cough

I believe they are also allowed to have some failing grades in the first semester without consequence to their eligibility in the second semester.

As much as I disliked Eric Gordon for screwing over Illinois at the last minute
    to join the slimy Kelvin Sampson, I have heard he actually put forth full effort academically.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Cough (Derrick Rose) Cough

Cough (Michael Beasley) Cough

Cough (O.J. Mayo) Cough

I believe they are also allowed to have some failing grades in the first semester without consequence to their eligibility in the second semester.

As much as I disliked Eric Gordon for screwing over Illinois at the last minute
    to join the slimy Kelvin Sampson, I have heard he actually put forth full effort academically.
    Do you know that for sure?

Coach K is not against one-and-done players.

He has told Josh Smith that he fully supports his decision to leave after one year if that is what Smith wants to do and is in his best interest.

Wall is no different.

I feel like a lot of people are assuming that John Wall has attitude problems and I don't feel that way. His coaches say that he used to a little bit but that he has changed. He isn't a great student but he seems like a nice kid. Sean Dockery didn't have great grades coming into Duke but he represented Duke well and was a class act.

John's Mother is pretty ill and so I think he will deffinitely give Duke a look because he lives in Raleigh. There is 99% chance that he will leave after one year but I think he has Derrick Rose talent and would be beneficial to us. Below is a link of an interiview with Wall.

http://sports.espn.go.com/highschool...ory?id=3610222

Quote Originally Posted by DDB4208 View Post
    I feel like a lot of people are assuming that John Wall has attitude problems and I don't feel that way. His coaches say that he used to a little bit but that he has changed. He isn't a great student but he seems like a nice kid. Sean Dockery didn't have great grades coming into Duke but he represented Duke well and was a class act.

John's Mother is pretty ill and so I think he will deffinitely give Duke a look because he lives in Raleigh. There is 99% chance that he will leave after one year but I think he has Derrick Rose talent and would be beneficial to us. Below is a link of an interiview with Wall.

http://sports.espn.go.com/highschool...ory?id=3610222
    Thanks for the article. Wall comes across as not only a great player but, dare I say, a great person. He doesn't seem at all like the bad kid with attitude problems that some people think he is.

Hopefully Coach K can get to know the real John Wall, and if he is a good kid like the article projects, then we would be very lucky to get him.

17. No doubt. I've heard about his past "issues" but his family medical troubles go a long way to explaining that to me. His maturity in the interview suggests that he's grown a whole lot since then, and if the staff thinks he's the right guy and he's willing to dedicate himself to a disciplined program like Duke, I'm 100% in favor of having him, even for 1 season.

Indeed, I'd imagine having both the support and the academic and behavioral expectations of someone like K might be the best thing in the world for a kid in his situation. And lord knows we've got a spot for him. I said earlier that I didn't think Kenny B would start from day 1 because he is an undersized combo guard. As a big "true" PG I absolutely think Wall would have a great opportunity to start from day 1. I know we're latecomers and may be a longshot, but this seems like a pretty good fit on both ends to me.

18. Another article

Sorry to double-post, but here's another article on John Wall.

"Knowing Wall, watching his journey and seeing his growth, there’s a lot to be said for the manner in which he’s handling it all. He’s matured with the help of others, figured out some of it on his own and for his efforts has his life and future pointed in the proper direction. Where he’s at now is a lot farther than where he was two seasons ago."

"There’s a lesson to be learned in his path to success. It’s rooted in overcoming obstacles and being willing to put in the hard work to improve one’s character as well as one’s game. And for that John Wall has become a shining example. "

Once again, he credited with working hard to turn his life around and seems to have matured as much in terms of character as he has in his on-court performance. There's a lot to admire about this kid, and a lot of the lessons he talks about are ones that K is second to none in teaching.

If Gerald and Kyle stay we will be the favorites to win it all. Then we should defenitely go after Wall b/c who cares if he is gone after 1 year if he helps bring a championship in that 1 year.

Quote Originally Posted by bludvlman View Post
    Then we should defenitely [sic] go after Wall b/c who cares if he is gone after 1 year if he helps bring a championship in that 1 year.
    Many people care. College sports is about so much more than winning championships. For starters it is about developing skills that allow people to succeed in life. I don't know John Wall and I am not inferring he is a bad guy, but if he comes to Duke he needs to come with the full understanding that he will be required to be a student-athlete. I'm sure Coach K and staff will explicitly explain this to him and if they are convinced I'm convinced.

I would really like to see the NCAA allow high school stars to go straight to the NBA but require those who commit to college to stay three years.
    Bob Green