El Greco/Velasquez ending soon

The Nasher Museum's first marquee exhibit ends on Nov 9. I am flying to NC this weekend to see it, and my family. I encourage everyone in the area to get there; this is a rare chance. Probably the biggest thing in art in NC since the Rodin, Mucha, and Carvaggio exhibits at NCMA a few years ago.

http://www.nasher.duke.edu/elgreco/

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

This is a must see

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    The Nasher Museum's first marquee exhibit ends on Nov 9. I am flying to NC this weekend to see it, and my family. I encourage everyone in the area to get there; this is a rare chance. Probably the biggest thing in art in NC since the Rodin, Mucha, and Carvaggio exhibits at NCMA a few years ago.

http://www.nasher.duke.edu/elgreco/
    I enjoyed the privilege of seeing this exhibit last Friday. Its importance and significance reach beyond NC. What the curator has discovered in her years of research about El Greco's techniques and his color pallet is a new point of view ... what's old is new. The exhibit is both interesting and intriguing, well worth the time to make a trip to Durham especially to see it.

Agreed. This is a fascinating story and exhibit. We saw it in a limited amount of time during Parents Weekend just before the BB game and wished we could have stayed longer. My wife is returning this week or next to take our daughter to view it also.

The Assumption of the Virgin hangs at the Art Institute in Chicago, and is one of my favorite pieces of the period. El Greco was truly a master.

Quote Originally Posted by Cavlaw View Post
    The Assumption of the Virgin hangs at the Art Institute in Chicago, and is one of my favorite pieces of the period. El Greco was truly a master.
    One of the paintings in the exhibit is a loaner from said Art Institute and we are highly appreciative. Sadly, I don't recall wich one it is.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    One of the paintings in the exhibit is a loaner from said Art Institute and we are highly appreciative. Sadly, I don't recall wich one it is.
    It might be one and the same - I didn't see it last time I was at the Art Institute, and a lot of stuff has been moved around, put in storage, or sent on loan during construction of the new Modern Wing to prevent damage.

It might be one and the same - I didn't see it last time I was at the Art Institute, and a lot of stuff has been moved around, put in storage, or sent on loan during construction of the new Modern Wing to prevent damage.
    Looks like it's a Velasquez, The Kitchen Maid.

As I think about it, Assumption is probably too large to put up in Nasher.

Looks like it's a Velasquez, The Kitchen Maid.

As I think about it, Assumption is probably too large to put up in Nasher.
    I don't know about that. One of the more striking paintings must be about 5 feet wide and at least 6 feet tall of the DUKE of Lerma (sp) astride his steed. Ginormous and magnificent.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    I don't know about that. One of the more striking paintings must be about 5 feet wide and at least 6 feet tall of the DUKE of Lerma (sp) astride his steed. Ginormous and magnificent.
    The Assumption of the Virgin is 7.5 feet wide and over 13 feet tall.

The Assumption of the Virgin is 7.5 feet wide and over 13 feet tall.
    That's huge.

My wife is re-visiting the Nasher next week. I'll have her ask one of the docents about the Duke's painting and report back.
    Last edited by Cavlaw; 10-29-2008 at 12:32 PM. Reason: fixed quote tag

You can check out the paintings in this exhibit via this link.
    http://nasher.duke.edu/elgreco/gallery.php