Congrats to Shav Randolph - Trail Blazers

Portland Trailblazers cut Luke Jackson and Steven Hill and kept Shav.

Good on ya man, and stay healthy this year.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Congrats, an amazing story there. I was worried for him due to he had two DNP's in a row..I guess they were just keeping him rested and injury free for the regular season.

Keep on playing Shavlik,43 minutes last night guarded Carlos Boozer.

Congrats...And What If

First, congrats to Shav. He has proven the entire basketball world wrong, and he deserves every kudos and paycheck he gets. We are all proud of him.

But, doesn't it make you all a little wistful? I think we now know that Shav was never healthy at Duke. Heck, it is starting to appear as if he were never really even close to healthy at Duke. What could a healthy Shav have accomplished alongside JJ and Shel? It is a little heartbreaking, both for us fans, for Shav himself, and for two of our greatest warriors in Shel and JJ.

I am happy for Shav, but a little sad for what could have been.

Shav and "connections"

I'm delighted for Shav that he has signed with Portland.

I find it interesting that his two teams have involved management with local connections, Billy King (then with the Sixers and a former Duke player), and now Nate McMillan, from Raleigh, who played at Enloe, Chowan, and NC State.

Is this a common thing in the NBA? Can anyone think of a player with a similar history? The Duke connection with Billy King is obvious. The Nate McMillan thing is kind of a surprise. Of course McMillan was long gone from Raleigh when Shav played at Broughton, but Shav was heavily recruited by NC State, and has that family connection.

Any ideas? I'm not looking for anything sinister, it just intrigues me.
    "Goddess of wisdom"

Olympics

Wasn't Nate McMillian one of K's assistants on the Olympics team as well? I didn't realize all the connections, but by looking at the players/stat lines, I think it was at least a rational choice.

Congratulations also to Jawad Williams from UNC who earned a roster spot with the Cavs.

Shav and McRoberts

Kind of ironic how after many speculated that Shav left for the NBA because he feared he would lose a battle for PT with McRoberts coming in, Shav sticks with the team that cast McRoberts aside. Hard to argue that Shav has not had a much better pro career to date. Who would have thought that 4 years ago?

Quote Originally Posted by Jaymf7 View Post
    Kind of ironic how after many speculated that Shav left for the NBA because he feared he would lose a battle for PT with McRoberts coming in, Shav sticks with the team that cast McRoberts aside. Hard to argue that Shav has not had a much better pro career to date. Who would have thought that 4 years ago?
    Actually, who would have thought that Shav would have had *any* pro career... If I remember correctly, Shav was in a picture in this year's coach's clinic (if correct) where there were a bunch of Duke alumni basketball players... I'm real happy that Shav can still call Duke a part of his past, and continues to return. I hope this means that his leaving and his acceptance into the Duke basketball family was not affected.

I knew Shavlik was a skilled player.He never really had a breakout game at Duke. He had a great performance against UCONN in the Final 4 but not the entire game and he was screwed by the touch foul calls that got him fouled out in a ridiculous amount of time.

It is sad that he was never a go to guy when he was at Duke.That ankle injury he had while in Philadelphia was almost as nasty looking as Shaun Livingston's devastating leg injury with The Clippers. Fortunately for Shavlik it seems he is back 100 %.If he stays healthy there is no reason he should not have access to the new K Center for Excellence.He should also participate in the Legacy Camp. I hope there will be some high rollers left. This Trillion Dollar meltdown of capital may make the list of campers very limited for summer of 2009.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by heyman25 View Post
    I knew Shavlik was a skilled player.He never really had a breakout game at Duke.
    Didn't he score something like 20pts in his first blue-white game or am I remembering incorrectly?

Congrats to Shav. I'm really excited for him.

Quote Originally Posted by NYC Dukie View Post
    Didn't he score something like 20pts in his first blue-white game or am I remembering incorrectly?

Congrats to Shav. I'm really excited for him.
    actually he scored over 20 in his first regular season game, if i recall correctly

Quote Originally Posted by kinghoops View Post
    actually he scored over 20 in his first regular season game, if i recall correctly
    after a little investigation, in his first regular season game against army his line was 23 pts, 7 rebs, 18 mins

You really only needed to ask Jason "his jersey will be hanging from the rafters" Evans about Shav's initial games at Duke.