Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Lute Olson steps down

Story is developing. Just an official statement so far.

Holy Cow!

ESPN, Vitale reporting that asst coach Mike Dunlap to take the helm until a replacement is chosen. Vitale hinted at health problems?

Vitale on Lute

In an ESPN phone interview, Dick Vitale says that "health issues" are the reason for Lute stepping down, and that he can not do on "a day-to-day basis" what he used to do. Vitale says that he thinks Kevin O'Neil would have been the "perfect hire" to take over the head coaching position.

ESPN says that assistant Mike Dunlap will take over as the interim head coach and that Arizona will conduct a nation-wide coaching search.

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    In an ESPN phone interview, Dick Vitale says that "health issues" are the reason for Lute stepping down, and that he can not do on "a day-to-day basis" what he used to do. Vitale says that he thinks Kevin O'Neil would have been the "perfect hire" to take over the head coaching position.
    If Vitale thinks that O'Neil would have been the "perfect hire," I can't trust Vitale to be right about anything, including whether or not Lute is actually stepping down.

Quote Originally Posted by bdh21 View Post
    If Vitale thinks that O'Neil would have been the "perfect hire," I can't trust Vitale to be right about anything, including whether or not Lute is actually stepping down.
    Well, you could be right, as Arizona is quoted on Sportscenter as saying: "We're not announcing anything to that effect. At, this moment, there is nothing going on." (paraphrased, I may be off a word or two)

Lute Olson Stepping Down?

http://arizona.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=867074

The above link is to the Rivals site. Not confirmed yet, and I hope he is OK, but this would be the story of the basketball season so far. Their recruits would be up for grabs, etc.

Nuttiness.

Sounds like Lute has finally stepped over the edge. Missing practice and then having this report out will draw a media firestorm. This is a "multiple sources" report, and it sounds like Dickie V is reporting the same.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3659611

Wonder how Chase Budinger feels since Lute "recruited" him to stay?

Who was Abdul Gaddy's second choice?

Not a good time to be an Arizona old guy right now.

Power shift

Without Lute, I just don't see AZ staying as a western power. This basically cedes the Pac-10 to UCLA for the forseeable future. That will make it a lot easier to recruit kids in the west. Cause no one will devote a lot of TV time to UCLA and the 9 nothings.

As for Gaddy, I have no idea where he ends up. He should wait until the end of the year and make a choice then. But for some odd reason, this is the sort of thing that screams Memphis.

Post of the Campaign

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    not a good time to be an arizona old guy right now.
    money

Goodman at Fox confirming it through a "source close to the program"

http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/8...ins-shy-of-800

Parrish too:

http://www.sportsline.com/collegebas...story/11056449

Quote Originally Posted by Diddy View Post
    Without Lute, I just don't see AZ staying as a western power. This basically cedes the Pac-10 to UCLA for the forseeable future. That will make it a lot easier to recruit kids in the west. Cause no one will devote a lot of TV time to UCLA and the 9 nothings.
    Depends on who takes over at the helm. If they get a big time coach, say Majerus or Knight, then they'll be fine. I don't actually think they will get one of those guys, but if they do get a serious coach, Tim Floyd or Sendek can get a respectable squad together somewhat regularly, and Dawkins makes a splash at Stanford, the Pac-10 will be more than a one team show.

At this point, I'm also not sure that the Pac-10 hasn't already been ceded to UCLA already after the past 3 seasons, but I don't think that it's an unwinnable battle for another team or two to get into the mix.

I am a long time Pac-10 basher, but I wouldn't say it's doomsday yet. Lute won an NC, but he held the title of biggest March choker for many years. Replacing him is not as big a deal as replacing Coach K, Roy Williams, or Rick Pitino.

Replacing him is not as big a deal as replacing Coach K, Roy Williams, or Rick Pitino.

Totally agree with you (except for Roy .) And, if the powers-that-be at AZ haven't already considered replacements after last year's debacle, I would be very surprised. I'll bet they've already had their quiet feelers out for quite some time.

Quote Originally Posted by Diddy View Post
    This gives Herb and Johnny and Floyd big opportunities. I don't see the 4 Oregon or Washington schools nor Cal making a consistent impact. Arizona falling would leave just 4 in consistent contention.

Depends on who takes over at the helm. If they get a big time coach, say Majerus or Knight, then they'll be fine. I don't actually think they will get one of those guys, but if they do get a serious coach, Tim Floyd or Sendek can get a respectable squad together somewhat regularly, and Dawkins makes a splash at Stanford, the Pac-10 will be more than a one team show.

At this point, I'm also not sure that the Pac-10 hasn't already been ceded to UCLA already after the past 3 seasons, but I don't think that it's an unwinnable battle for another team or two to get into the mix.
    Majerus or Knight would be a disaster for recruiting, although they would each be a great fill-in for this season.

Initial speculation centers around Mark Few and Jamie Dixon. Although Dixon is from LA and coached at Northern Arizona, I don't think he'd want to square off so directly with his mentor Ben Howland.

Ready for some wild speculation for the next Zona coach?

How about Rick Barnes?

Steve Kerr has a big-time front office job with the Suns. He ain't gonna get into college coaching. What about Sean Elliot? He is a commentator on Spurs broadcasts but I think Arizona will want someone with some sideline experience.

I suspect Arizona will move slowly. This could not come at a worse time. If Lute had done this a few months ago they might have been able to get a big name in soon. But, I would bet that the real job search won't happen until the end of the season now.

--Jason "I am a fan of what Lute did on the court, but off of it he had lost it in recent years" Evans

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    --Jason "I am a fan of what Lute did on the court, but off of it he had lost it in recent years" Evans
    How about this for class, right up until the end:

A source familiar with Olson said he would not be surprised if the coach tries to embarrass Vitale--never a favorite of Olson's--by dragging out the announcement ...
    http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn...c.php?t=477153

After Lute's erratic behavior with the team this last year, I wonder how many good coaches would take over the program unless Lute were somehow barred from practices and interfering with the team. I am uncertain how this could be done, however. Maybe as part of his settlement with the school.

Those poor players (I'm not being sarcastic)....Juniors and Seniors on this team must wonder what they did to deserve the past few years...

IMO, Lute was a jerk at Iowa and that hasn't changed.