WaPo on Recruiting Compliance

I saw an interesting article on the Washington Post this morning regarding social sites and recruiting violations. (Coincidentally, I posted a link just yesterday to Duke's compliance guidelines. It's in the FAQ Sticky at the top of this forum.)

[W]hen it comes to football recruiting, [undergrad Scott] Meyer believes Penn State is everything any top high school prospect could want, too. That's why Meyer reaches out to some of those recruits via online social networks such as Facebook and MySpace. Maybe, he reasons, if a recruit sees that students from a certain school who aren't associated with the athletic department take the time to initiate a relationship, it might influence that recruit's decision on where to attend.

"When you follow recruiting, you wish you were the coaches going into the houses and telling kids about the tradition," Meyer said. If coaches can't recruit through social networks, he added, "students can do it."

Innocent as Meyer's intentions may be, his actions constitute an NCAA recruiting violation, one schools cannot protect against and one the NCAA cannot closely monitor. Meyer is not the lone culprit by any means. Many top football recruits in the class of 2009 contacted for this story said their Facebook or MySpace accounts have been bombarded in the past year by friend requests and messages from fans across the country. Numerous top men's basketball recruits in the class of 2009 have a following on social networks, as well.
    I know many of you follow recruiting much more closely than I do. Have you seen this sort of thing out there? Is it that prevalent?

Is it so very impossible to police Facebook, et al, as to be a meaningless rule? Can someone pose as or be mistaken for a rival school's booster and get that school in trouble? Just think of the possibilities to express Duke Hatred!

As far as I know, our only probation was from David Thompson's recruitment: A Duke alum and (as Thompson says) a friend of the family gave Thompson a jacket at his graduation party - which would have been after he'd signed with State. (Grr.) State also landed on probation for DT's recruitment, reportedly thanks to Deano. Times were interesting then, with no love lost between programs. I'll let our member historians correct me as needed.

I trust Chris Kennedy is making a good faith effort to keep our boosters in line, so let's not make his job any harder!

-jk

Bump