Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    How could you survive for 12 hours without a phone?
    12 hours without a phone sounds like heaven, especially on a Monday.

I have TWC for television. No landline, and I use an internet connect card from AT&T for my internet, I had too many issues with my internet staying connected for longer than 10 minute intervals. To sum it up, I'm not really pleased with Time Warner. They don't carry Sportssouth (I'm a huge braves fan, and the residents that live behind my apartment complex who have the alternate cable service for the area <b>have</b> Sportssouth. I can't even watch Braves games if I purchase the MLB package, they're blacked out.)

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    How could you survive for 12 hours without a phone?
    I think you're being sarcastic, I66; but frankly, I hate the phone. Probably only make 3 calls a week, on average. IM, texts and e-mail for me. And face to face, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilAlumna View Post
    I think you're being sarcastic, I66; but frankly, I hate the phone. Probably only make 3 calls a week, on average. IM, texts and e-mail for me. And face to face, of course.
    Part of the curse of working from home is that I spend at least three hours a day on the phone, voice chatting or video conferencing.

Durham, within a couple of miles of Cameron
    Quote Originally Posted by HaveFunExpectToWin View Post
    I've mentioned it before, but if there are any current or potential FiOS customers that need some assistance, feel free to PM me. I work as a marketing analyst for Verizon, but I can answer questions or get you in touch with the right folks here.
    I'll take you up on the offer, but it may be too mundane, and I may come across as Clint Eastwood in Gran Torino!
    The missus wants a new iPhone for her birthday, and I believe she's due for an upgrade under our existing Verizon contract. I haven't gone through the gantlet/gauntlet of the Verizon store experience (about the only negative that Verizon does, IMHO), but it seems I have to cough up $6-700 bucks one way or another.
    I've had nothing but good service with Verizon, and would welcome any advice you can give - or any other person's advice, experience, etc.
    Appreciate your otherwise good comments on the boards, in general.
    JStuart,
    Durham

JStuart,

Although cell service is my wife's department, she just went through a similar upgrade thing for our son yesterday. From what I can tell at a distance, the key is to do your own homework and know in advance what the plan should cost you, what your trade-in is worth, etc. She got a different answer from one Verizon employee versus another. Not to mention a run-around about where to buy the new hardware ... she was told to get it at Mac Authority at our mall, but then she went there and they said that they were wed to AT&T, and could not help her. What's more, she was also told at Verizon that her trade-in (iPhone 5) would only get $40 of credit.

Double-checking her figures, she called Verizon and spoke to someone else, someone who seemed to know what was going on. I believe she got her hardware there and got $100 for trade-in credit. On top of that, she was able to spread the cost of the phone over 24 mos. with no interest. I think. So if something doesn't sound right, find a way to deal with another person.

One other tip - if you are considering insurance for the phone, check out what your homeowners policy may have for a scheduled rider on electronics. We found that similar (but not even as good) coverage through Verizon was several times more expensive.

Good luck,
    cspan

Quote Originally Posted by JStuart View Post
    I'll take you up on the offer, but it may be too mundane, and I may come across as Clint Eastwood in Gran Torino!
    The missus wants a new iPhone for her birthday, and I believe she's due for an upgrade under our existing Verizon contract. I haven't gone through the gantlet/gauntlet of the Verizon store experience (about the only negative that Verizon does, IMHO), but it seems I have to cough up $6-700 bucks one way or another.
    I've had nothing but good service with Verizon, and would welcome any advice you can give - or any other person's advice, experience, etc.
    Appreciate your otherwise good comments on the boards, in general.
    JStuart,
    Durham
    I haven't been on the board in awhile, sorry for the delayed reply. Also, I don't know as much about the VZW side as I do the FiOS side of VZ, but I'll try to help.

First of all, you only have to a month or so until the new iPhone is announced. So if you want the latest and greatest, I'd wait.

If you are looking to score a cheaper iPhone, you may be in luck now or very soon. I don't think there's any need to go an actual VZW store, you should be able to get an upgrade at a Target or Best Buy too. You might check there, b/c I believe Best Buy has $100 iPhones currently. Also, you might save yourself a trip and see what you can do online at verizon.com. I upgraded my wife to to a 6 recently and did it all there. It was very easy.

Are you looking to change your contract? Or just get a new phone?
    "Something in my vicinity is Carolina blue and this offends me." - HPR

Quote Originally Posted by HaveFunExpectToWin View Post
    I haven't been on the board in awhile, sorry for the delayed reply. Also, I don't know as much about the VZW side as I do the FiOS side of VZ, but I'll try to help.

First of all, you only have to a month or so until the new iPhone is announced. So if you want the latest and greatest, I'd wait.

If you are looking to score a cheaper iPhone, you may be in luck now or very soon. I don't think there's any need to go an actual VZW store, you should be able to get an upgrade at a Target or Best Buy too. You might check there, b/c I believe Best Buy has $100 iPhones currently. Also, you might save yourself a trip and see what you can do online at verizon.com. I upgraded my wife to to a 6 recently and did it all there. It was very easy.

Are you looking to change your contract? Or just get a new phone?
    Thanks (you too, CSpan)
    I'm just looking to keep the missus happy with the iPhone 6 (not the humongous one, just the bigger-than-a-iPhone 5 one).
    Excellent suggestions, and we'll attempt things this weekend. Online, did you buy the 6 outright, or did you arrange the 24-month $27 addition?
    Thx,
    JStuart

Costco is an excellent place to buy an iPhone 6. The 16K version is $179, $279 for the 64k. And you get a. $50 Costco card with the trade in.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Thanks, HaveFun, CSpan, and Ozzie (9F! Forever!)
    Turns out Verizon allows an existing customer with an allowable upgrade, to do either of two options, upgrade to a iPhone6 the old way (199 down, and renew a 2 year contract) or the new way, buy the phone at 25 or so per month extra, for 2 years, and keep the current contract.
    My math skills aren't as sharp as they might have been, but after comparing the options, the Verizon guy (much easier to deal with than the Apple Store Genius last week) showed me that there was about a $7 difference per month either way, and I didn't have to plunk down 199 for the phone at once, which I would have had to 2-3 months ago.
    Thanks for all your fine advice; I depend on the DBR! (maybe that should be a new slogan, eh?)
    Back to the usual off topic and walking dead iconic stuff.
    JStuart