Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New jerseys

New jerseys

Just checked out the player profiles on GoDuke, and everyone is pictured wearing what looks like a new jersey for this year. It's in the vein of all the other new Nike-sponsored teams' jerseys (UNC, for example) that don't have the side stripe coming up to the shoulders. Personally I think this looks terrible--I'm old school, I would love to see us go back to the plain blue and white jerseys we wore in the 90's--but maybe Nike pushed hard for it.

Thoughts?

It's a pretty terrible look. The shoulders need to be thinner. I don't know why Nike insists on making college jerseys uglier and uglier each season. And I like Nike for my own athletic gear.

Quote Originally Posted by freedevil View Post
    It's a pretty terrible look. The shoulders need to be thinner. I don't know why Nike insists on making college jerseys uglier and uglier each season. And I like Nike for my own athletic gear.
    The armhole trim has been narrowed and is a different material than last year, otherwise the jersey is the same. As for the pants, Duke got rid of the thick waistbands it has been using since 1980 and now the side paneling and stripes go all the way up to the top of the pants. Otherwise no changes.

As frequently pointed out, we need our traditional uniforms back.
    Trinity '97, Tent #1 '97
    Tampa

Quote Originally Posted by msdukie View Post
    As frequently pointed out, we need our traditional uniforms back.
    I like "traditional" but it's usually defined by when any given poster was in school, of course.

Short-shorts, anyone?

-jk

Pics

More pics of the players and jersey's.

http://www.blueplanetshots.com/galle...3_EZQRn#P-1-12

I don't care what the design is anytime DUKE goes across the front of a jersey it looks good.

I personally think the jerseys look great. It's a very clean look. I really hated that weird horizontal stripe we had at the top of the jerseys a few years ago...

http://soundandthefury.files.wordpre...47511303_z.jpg

Honestly, they're not as bad as I was expecting. I'll live with them, and as FireOgilvie said, they're nowhere near as bad as those ones with the weird stripes from a few years back.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    I like "traditional" but it's usually defined by when any given poster was in school, of course.

Short-shorts, anyone?

-jk
    GREEN Shorts? :-)

Design and quality

After a casual look at them online, a couple of thoughts come to mind. The first is that the proportions are changed in a way that is not particularly pleasing to the eye nor is it flattering to the player wearing the uniform. The second is based in my knowledge of sewing. The seams along the stripes, particularly the shorts, have lots of little puckers and do not lie down flat, a sign of poor quality construction and possibly poor design (mismatched fabrics in terms of stretchability).

In the end, I know that whatever the fans think of the uniforms matters little to Nike or those who order the uniforms. Once the games begin, we'll see if the new streamlining and whatever fabric is used make a difference to the payers.

The most important question is, "Are they comfortable and do they allow plenty of freedom for movement?".

Don't like the new jerseys

I know they are just trying to keep up with the college hoops fashion trends, but I just don't like that wide-style jersey on Duke. I don't know the correct fashion term, but they are just too wide from the base of the neck to where the shoulder starts. It just does not fit my eye on what is otherwise a very classic looking basketball uniform. Wish they would bring back the "skinny-topped" jersey.

Folks, all this talk about a new jersey just serves to reinforce people's stereotypes of Duke.

That said, I wish we could play some more regional finals there.

Excellent post. My sentiments exactly.

ricks

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    Folks, all this talk about a new jersey just serves to reinforce people's stereotypes of Duke.

That said, I wish we could play some more regional finals there.
    ??????? What stereotype?

btw, how are the new football jerseys going over on the UNC boards?

Quote Originally Posted by willywoody View Post
    ??????? What stereotype?
    The stereotype that all Duke students are from New Jersey.

Quote Originally Posted by El_Diablo View Post
    The stereotype that all Duke students are from New Jersey.
    I still have trouble convincing folks that the largest # of Duke students are from NC and NJ is merely a top 10 contributor.

Does Throaty have a quick reference code for this thread? As it comes up every year regardless of what the uniforms look like

Quote Originally Posted by camcraz25 View Post
    Does Throaty have a quick reference code for this thread? As it comes up every year regardless of what the uniforms look like
    Well, they've looked like [poop] for a decade-plus now (GET RID OF THE FRICKIN' BLACK ALREADY!!!), so I'm of the opinion that the annual discussion is totally reasonable.

This is what a Duke uniform should look like (the bike shorts perhaps excepted).

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    Short-shorts, anyone?

-jk

What? Did somebody say Daniel Craig is painting a wall somewhere?