Baseball Press Credentials

Hello everyone, most of you know I have a basketball website, but I also have a Cubs' minor league blog, Road To Wrigley for MVN.com.

So, because of this I have the opportunity of getting some press credentials to some local minor league teams. I've never had press credentials before, but I'm assuming that I will get into the games free, but what other privileges will I have?

I'm just curious, because I've never been down this road before.

Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by riverside6 View Post
    Hello everyone, most of you know I have a basketball website, but I also have a Cubs' minor league blog, Road To Wrigley for MVN.com.

So, because of this I have the opportunity of getting some press credentials to some local minor league teams. I've never had press credentials before, but I'm assuming that I will get into the games free, but what other privileges will I have?

I'm just curious, because I've never been down this road before.

Thanks in advance!
    Not much in the minors. You'll get to sit in the press box during the game and interview wet naked men in the locker room after the game.

Have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by feldspar View Post
    Not much in the minors. You'll get to sit in the press box during the game and interview wet naked men in the locker room after the game.

Have fun.
    That's pretty much what I expected. This may vary from team to team, do you know if family members must pay to come in with you?

Quote Originally Posted by riverside6 View Post
    That's pretty much what I expected. This may vary from team to team, do you know if family members must pay to come in with you?
    Like you said, really depends on the ball club. The team I covered had a really nice owner who was cool with me bringing my wife and sitting in the stands from time to time. Never hurts to ask.

As a general rule, I found from my experience that people treat small-time sports writers pretty well. Whether that's because they want good coverage or something else, I dunno. But I never had any problems.

Getting to know the radio guys also pays great dividends. They're usually employed by the ball club and can get you access to what you need and give you tips for stories and such. Sitting in the press box with them and gabbing in between innings is a great way to do this.

thanks

nice, thanks for the tips!