DBR ACC Preview - Miami

The DBR preview on Miami was full of interesting tidbits on current and new players. While the write-up played up McClinton and the freshman, Jones, it failed to take note of the outstanding, overall perimeter play of the Canes. Earlier this summer, I started a thread on the strong perimeter play expected in the ACC this coming season and concluded that the Miami perimeter play was comparable to that at Duke and UNC. My comment re Miami was as follows:

“Miami – None of the Canes perimeter players, McClinton, Dews, Asbury, Hurdle and Rios have the high school pedigree of the Duke and UNC players. All they do is play. Statistically, they are better long range and foul shooters than either Duke or UNC, and based on what I saw late last season they are better defensively as a unit. In addition, all the players have a positive a/to ratio. To this experienced group they add a good freshman wing, Jones. If Miami gets some rebounding and defensive play up front, then they will be a legitimate top 25 team.”

I haven’t looked at their schedule, but I expect Miami to be a top 25 team and battle for 3rd place.

gw67

W/r/t their schedule, it's decently tough. They have good OOC games - Paradise Jam in a field that includes UCONN (the Canes' likely second round draw) and Wisconsin, against OSU in the ACC/Big Televen, and a road trip to Rupp Arena. If they can win 2 of those 4 games, they'll be good resume boosters, and a good barometer for how good the Canes might be. In conference, their schedule is, I think, about middle of the road - UNC, FSC, Maryland, BC, and NCSU twice, at Duke, UVA, and Georgia Tech, and home against Clemson, Virginia Tech, and Wake.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

My main reservation about Miami relates to their game management, which reflects on uncertain PG play and also Haith's game coaching. They blew a game against NC State in the last minute, and somehow almost lost a huge lead (20 pts IIRC) against Duke at home. Miami failed to use the clock effectively, employed bad shot selection, and turned the ball over late in those games.

That said, they are very athletic, difficult to defend, and very dangerous.