Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Not only am I a raging TVaholic, I compound the severity of this ailment with an affinity for utterly inane (but fun as hell) reality shows.

My DVR series recordings are:

Reality shows:
    Amazing Race
    Survivor
    American Idol
    Grease: You're the One That I Want
    Project Runway
    Top Design
    Top Chef

Traditional programming:
    Lost
    Grey's Anatomy
    Brothers & Sisters
    How I Met Your Mother
    Friday Night Lights (waving to mr. synellinden -- LOVE this show)
    Boston Legal
    My Name is Earl
    Studio 60
    ER (yes, I'm the one viewer who still watches it)
    The Daily Show (this has to come off though - it's aired a hundred times a day and my DVR can't discern which ones are new)

Mind you, this is not all I watch. It's just all that's programmed in to the DVR as Series Recordings.

I love my DVR

The regular weekly recordings are:

House
    Studio 60
    Heros
    Lost
    NCIS
    Grey's Anatomy
    CSI
    CSI:NY
    Survivor (this one is my husband's...I don't 'do' reality tv)

Set to record whenever they show up
    NOVA
    any Duke sports

and parked on the DVR for repeated viewings
    AKC Agility National Championships '06
    AKC Agility Invitational '07
    MTV Comp'd: Green Day

Its a rare event when a watch a non sports program live these days...so much nicer to zip through the commercials...

Windsor

I forgot to mention Rome on mine. I don't have any problem with it, but I guess I'm a sucker for pseudo-historical ultra-violent drama.

Also, I want to throw down a challenge for the geek-lust crown: how many Tivos/DVRs do you have, per capita? We have 3 Tivos (a total of 4 tuners because the S3 has two) for 2 people. I'm hoping that's a record because any more than 2x per capita seems insane. Hell, 2x is insane.

Oh wow, I can't believe I forgot Colbert, the Daily Show, and NOVA.

I should have waited till I got home and could check the Tivo before posting

Quote Originally Posted by billybreen View Post
    I forgot to mention Rome on mine. I don't have any problem with it, but I guess I'm a sucker for pseudo-historical ultra-violent drama.

Also, I want to throw down a challenge for the geek-lust crown: how many Tivos/DVRs do you have, per capita? We have 3 Tivos (a total of 4 tuners because the S3 has two) for 2 people. I'm hoping that's a record because any more than 2x per capita seems insane. Hell, 2x is insane.
    Here's my entry:

1 PC DVRm winXP with Beyond TV software
    750 GB of storage (~120 hours)
    1 tuner, second on in the mail
    Networked to my other computers (4 of them) so I can watch the recorded shows from other computers
    Connected to the stereo, so I can play my music (on my home office computer) through the home stereo
    DVD burner so I can put shows (The Office) in long-term storage.
    I can also surf the internet on my 50 inch TV

The coolest (and most geeky) thing about it for me is that I made it myself. From scratch. I received components for Christmas and built the computer over the course of a week. It was a lot of fun, and gave me a lot of cred with the IT guys.

Exiled
    Last edited by Exiled_Devil; 03-02-2007 at 10:01 PM. Reason: signed it twice

Self-built system

Quote Originally Posted by Exiled_Devil View Post
    Here's my entry:

1 PC DVRm winXP with Beyond TV software
    750 GB of storage (~120 hours)
    1 tuner, second on in the mail
    Networked to my other computers (4 of them) so I can watch the recorded shows from other computers
    Connected to the stereo, so I can play my music (on my home office computer) through the home stereo
    DVD burner so I can put shows (The Office) in long-term storage.
    I can also surf the internet on my 50 inch TV

The coolest (and most geeky) thing about it for me is that I made it myself. From scratch. I received components for Christmas and built the computer over the course of a week. It was a lot of fun, and gave me a lot of cred with the IT guys.

Exiled

Very cool indeed, especially when you get the second tuner installed. With Heroes and 24 on at the same time, 2 tuners is a MUST.

Just curious - about how much were the system's components?
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

I have way too much on my DVR and no where near enough time to watch so it really backs up:

Crossing Jordan
    CSI Miami
    How I Met Your Mother
    Heroes
    Law and Order SVU
    Veronica Mars
    Gilmore Girls
    House
    Lost
    Criminal Minds *Current Fav
    CSI
    Grey's Anatomy
    Psych
    The Soup
    South Park
    Family Guy
    Ghost Hunters
    Stargate Atlantis
    Nip/Tuck
    Arrested Development (reruns of course - even though I have the DVDs)

Here is my list in order of favorites- most favorite at the top (all set to record the series).

ALL Duke Mens games
    Grey's Anatomy
    Heroes
    CSI - the original
    Friday Night Lights
    NCIS
    Lost
    The Office
    The Unit
    ER
    Las Vegas
    Without a Trace
    The Class
    Brothers and Sisters
    Jericho
    One Tree Hill (did I just admit that)
    Studio 60 on the... (canceled now I guess)
    The Black Donnellys (first episopde ok, not sure yet)
    What About Brian (yep, I watch is, has it been canceled yet?)

*Also record CBS News Sunday Morning

We Tivo all live Duke games individually. We also Tivo the occasional ESPN Classic broadcast and the weekly Inside Duke Basketball show. Other than that the main regulars are:
    The Daily Show
    The Colbert Report
    The Simpsons (for the kid)

There are others but they are off and on - old Man from U.N.C.L.E. and A-Team stuff that my husband gets into from time to time.

I don't know when you guys have time to watch all those shows. I don't even keep up with all the Daily Show/Colbert shows.

Robert Vaughn

Quote Originally Posted by merry View Post
    There are others but they are off and on - old Man from U.N.C.L.E.
    I'll bet you look for James Scott Farrin's TV ads, too, just so you can see Robert Vaughn...
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

What's on your TIVO?

Quote Originally Posted by merry View Post

I don't know when you guys have time to watch all those shows. I don't even keep up with all the Daily Show/Colbert shows.
    Believe me sometimes they sit there for a while, particulary during dog show season. Yesterday afternoon (after the women's game) I watched 4 Lost episodes in a row to clear them off.

Since I'm not home most nights (or during the day) I tend to catch up between the time I get home from work (about 4:30) and when I head off to the dog club (around 7). My watching priority is sporting events followed by the episodic series. The other shows I can always catch during the summer when there isn't much else on. It has gotten easier now that my daughter is off at college and it's just my husband and me! All bets are off this week as my daughter and two of her friends are headed here for spirng break (10 minutes from Clearwater Beach + free room + free food = invasion force).

The running joke is that our TV schedule is full...if we add any new shows something else is going to have to go (I don't remember what we dumped to make room for Heroes...I think it was ER)

I would say that I watch much more TV since we got the DVRs. The old video tape method was just such a pain in the butt - on the other hand I only watch things that I really want to see now...the 257 channels and nothing on lament is thing of the past.

Windsor

Way more than a TlVO . Which was an issue with my wife for a couple of months.

Total ~ $800, but I could have cut that by recycling computers I already have.
    The big costs were the tuner and the HDD . At the time, it was about $1/ GB and I got a 250 GB drive. My new 500 GB drive cost me $150 last month.

The benefits, to me, are that I pay no ongoing fee (line cable DVR or TIVO) And none changes the functionality except me. No "upgrades" that make it hands to skip commercials or that limit the time I can keep a recording.

Exiled

"How it's made" Total geek show but it's amazing to see all the steps it takes to make toothpicks! It's on at random times on Science Channel but usually new episodes come on Friday eve... so if I HAD a life, I would TiVO it!
    (unfortunately I don't)

About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.
    Quote Originally Posted by terrih View Post
    Here is my list in order of favorites- most favorite at the top (all set to record the series).

One Tree Hill (did I just admit that)

Just to make you feel a little better, I have it on good authority that this is one of JJ Redick's favorites. (He has a thing for Sophia Bush...) Apparently, he may be making an appearance on the show in an upcoming episode, but I haven't confirmed that.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

What's on my TiVo? The TV.

TiVo vs DVR?

This might have been discussed in the old boards but which is better? TiVo vs. DVR?

I won't even try to compare the two to Exiled's monster.

Finally found where the weather suits my clothes – and settled down in Brentwood, CA

Tivo is far superior to any cable DVR

I bought a Tivo in 2000 -- just in time for the Championship season of 2000-01. (Still have that game on it, too! When things are tough I just pull up Dunleavy's three 3s in 90 seconds and all is right with the world!)

Tivo is great because you can fine tune your searches to not only get what you want but also not get what you don't want.

Programs that are recorded regularly include:
    Basketball and "Duke" (which gets me every show with anything to do with men's and women's b-ball, current or classic)
    The Daily Show
    The Colbert Report
    Lost

And lots of cooking shows like:
    Diary of a Foodie
    Barefoot Contessa
    Negella Feasts
    Lydia's Kitchen
    America's Test Kitchen
    Anything with Juliia Child and/or Jacque Pepin
    Absolutely NO Emeril or Rachel Ray! (Showboating frauds...)

Plus movies that star:
    Steve McQueen
    Cary Grant
    Humpbrey Bogart
    Spencer Tracy and Katherine Hepburn
    or others that come along of interest like Thank You for Smoking, The Big Chill, and Walk the Line (which happen to be on my Tivo right now)

Grey Devil

Smile

[QUOTE=ghost;2950]This might have been discussed in the old boards but which is better? TiVo vs. DVR?

QUOTE]

I got DVR because the local cable company (Brighthouse) had a serious deal going. If you had HD/Digital/broad band/phone as I did they rolled everything into one of their packages and it cost me an extra $2 a month...no additional charge for the hardware or the DVR boxes.

My understanding is that TiVo has more features and flexibility, but since I've never had it I don't miss it. Last summer one of the DVRs had a snit and kept freezing - I dropped it off at the service center picked up a new one and haven't had any trouble with either since then.

I've been really happy with the DVR and haven't heard a compelling reason to switch to TiVO

Windsor

I've been a Tivo lover since 2001 or so, and I can't imagine switching to a local DVR, regardless of price. The feature and usability gap is huge.

Comcast will shortly be rolling out DVRs that use Tivo software, so that may well be the best of both worlds. Hopefully they don't screw it up because it would be nice to see other cable outfits go that route.