Burn After Reading

Has anyone else seen this flick? Thoughts?

It felt like a more comedic version of Fargo. The story certainly took some dark turns, which the Coen's do better than anyone else around, IMO. The characters felt real. I know the Coen's say Fargo was based on real events but these characters and events often felt true and honest too. I found some of the stuff with the Russians implausible, but the rest was really great. The Coen's do such an amazing job of crafting characters you care about...

Clooney, Malkovich, and McDormand are all great. Brad Pitt's character was a bit too over the top silly for my taste, though I really enjoyed the way they resolved his story. The side cast is amazing -- Tilda Swinton and Richard Jenkins are Oscar caliber actors. The scenes with JK Simmons and David Rasche at CIA headquarters trying to figure out what is going on are hysterical.

In case you cannot guess-- I recommend this film. There are some dark moments and a few slow spots, but it is mostly a good time. It is certainly memorable. George Clooney's chair will become a Hollywood icon, I predict

--Jason "it is not better than Fargo, but it is close" Evans

Savoring the Burn After Reading movie.

My wife only knew that it was a comedy, and it had Clooney and Pitt in it. She dragged me with her to see it yesterday. I was a bit confused in at first, but it held my interest. My wife was put off by the F bombs that ricocheted off the walls, but she grew accustomed.

Brad Pitt deserves at least an Oscar nomination. I didn't know he was such a good actor. Kudos to the entire cast and the Coens. I haven't laughed so hard since Mad Mad World on its first run. People were laughing so hard at that movie that they added an intermission, so people could catch their breath.

Jason (or others), how does it compare to The Big Lebowski, my preferred Coen Bros film. A score of F bombs sounds similar.

Jason, can we make requests for reviews? I'd be interested in your thoughts on Lakeview Terrace.

2535 "Saves a bunch of money by avoiding movies and reading JasonEvans' reviews" Miles

Quote Originally Posted by 2535Miles View Post
    Jason, can we make requests for reviews? I'd be interested in your thoughts on Lakeview Terrace.

2535 "Saves a bunch of money by avoiding movies and reading JasonEvans' reviews" Miles
    You are kind to ask, but it may be a while before I see that flick. Gonna be hard to convince the wife she would like it so it is tough for me to see it.

-Jason "I saw Igor, a new animated flick, this past weekend-- will put up a review soon" Evans

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Has anyone else seen this flick? Thoughts?

It felt like a more comedic version of Fargo.
    I was getting the impression that was how the movie was going to be. When in turn makes me wanna go see it despite Brat Pitt and George Clooney being in it (although I like Brad the actor better than 'ol GC the actor).

I'll admit, I'm a huge fan of the unique genre created by these brothers, but I LOVED this movie. If you're judging this by the traditional comedy criteria, the movie is a 7.0-7.5 with 10.0 acting. Every actor is perfectly cast in this film. Pitt, Clooney, Simmons, etc are the only ones who could have pulled off these parts.

If you evaluate comedies as I do, and so many immature teens to 20 yo's do, based on quotable lines, this movie is an 11. My entire vocabulay could change based on this movie.

This is a must must see movie.

About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.
    Wow. Not sure I saw the same film as y'all. I found that it lacked any real emotional connection with me. I had a hard time sympathizing with any of the characters, perhaps with the exception of Brad Pitt's gym instructor. There were some very funny moments, but all four of the people that I went with to a matinee last Sunday felt that it was a waste of their $8.

And I normally love the Coen brothers. "Fargo" and "Raising Arizona" are two of my favorites, and I enjoyed "The Big Lebowski", "Blood Simple", "Intolerable Cruelty", "Barton Fink", and "Miller's Crossing".
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

Quote Originally Posted by JBDuke View Post
    Wow. Not sure I saw the same film as y'all. I found that it lacked any real emotional connection with me. I had a hard time sympathizing with any of the characters, perhaps with the exception of Brad Pitt's gym instructor. There were some very funny moments, but all four of the people that I went with to a matinee last Sunday felt that it was a waste of their $8.

And I normally love the Coen brothers. "Fargo" and "Raising Arizona" are two of my favorites, and I enjoyed "The Big Lebowski", "Blood Simple", "Intolerable Cruelty", "Barton Fink", and "Miller's Crossing".
    Did any of the Coen Bros films give you a character to sympethize with? Thats pretty much their MO.

I can't wait to see the Igor review. My 3 and 5 year old sons LOVED "Happily Never After" and "Nightmare Before Christmas" (okay, I loved Nightmare too!). The previews look like something they'd like too.

Saw it yesterday with the wife. We thought it was okay, a solid B, and certainly didn't feel like we got ripped off. But nothing special. For the one of the few times recently I felt like the movie could have been longer.

And yes, the device Clooney was building in his workshop was something else.

FWIW, Oh, Brother, Where art Thou is my favorite Coen Bros, if that tells you anything.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Clooney, Malkovich, and McDormand are all great. Brad Pitt's character was a bit too over the top silly for my taste, though I really enjoyed the way they resolved his story. The side cast is amazing -- Tilda Swinton and Richard Jenkins are Oscar caliber actors. The scenes with JK Simmons and David Rasche at CIA headquarters trying to figure out what is going on are hysterical.
    <snip>
    George Clooney's chair will become a Hollywood icon, I predict

--Jason "it is not better than Fargo, but it is close" Evans

Just got back from seeing it, and I think Jason's comments are pretty spot-on (though I felt Malkovich was a little less great, and Pitt a little more tolerable, but maybe that's swayed by looks. )

Definitely a solid flick, and one I'll watch several more times, much like O Brother, Raising AZ, and Intolerable Cruelty.

Quote Originally Posted by JBDuke View Post

I think that was kind of the admittedly dark point. I found the film to be quite dark yet very real and entertaining - One of the best movies I'll never see again.

The clear message to me: No one cares about anyone but themselves. It's all about me, me, me; largely because of insecurities on a mass scale. What better setting than Washington D.C.?

Some of the divorce-related scenes were painstakingly real.

Sometimes people in the theatre would laugh I scenes I found horrifyingly sad. Won't give anything away here.

I think that's why Pitt's character was made to be overly silly, fun. To bring some needed goofiness and light humor to a cast of characters so sadly dark, lonely and horribly, if believably flawed that if Pitt wasn't there, you may have to walk out.

Again, one of the best movies I'll never see again.

-EJ

You think it's a Schwinn!

Quote Originally Posted by EarlJam View Post
    What better setting than Washington D.C.?
    Los Angeles?