ACC football this week

Cheer up, DBR! I know you guys want to see ACC football fail miserably, but it may not be as bad as it seems.

Miami is actually playing Texas A&M, which is a different school than Texas Tech, and which fields a much worse football team. In fact, Miami is favored by 3 this year.

Also, Georgia Tech is currently favored by 8 over Mississippi State. It is also very difficult to prepare for GT's offense, so that could help.

Plus, BC is favored by 10 over Central Florida! Unbelieveable!

Of course, Maryland beating EMU might not be as sure a thing as it looks, since the Terps did lose to MTSU.

Of course, the ACC teams could easily choke away these opportunities-- and send the DBR staff dancing in the streets-- but let's take some encouragement from a good week last week and the potential for another one coming up.

Wherever the wind blows and the leaves dance.
    Quote Originally Posted by fan345678 View Post
    Cheer up, DBR! I know you guys want to see ACC football fail miserably, but it may not be as bad as it seems.

Miami is actually playing Texas A&M, which is a different school than Texas Tech, and which fields a much worse football team. In fact, Miami is favored by 3 this year.

Also, Georgia Tech is currently favored by 8 over Mississippi State. It is also very difficult to prepare for GT's offense, so that could help.

Plus, BC is favored by 10 over Central Florida! Unbelieveable!

Of course, Maryland beating EMU might not be as sure a thing as it looks, since the Terps did lose to MTSU.

Of course, the ACC teams could easily choke away these opportunities-- and send the DBR staff dancing in the streets-- but let's take some encouragement from a good week last week and the potential for another one coming up.
    I like Miami to beat A&M to the tune of around 30-10. Their defense should create alot of opportunities for their offense.

I like what GT did with the Johnson hire. Once he gets that rolling, the rest of the ACC is going to dread playing them. I wonder a little about his personality though. He seems a little full of himself to the point where its obnoxious. I think they steal one away from the SEC.

I'm not really sold on Coach Jags and think that BC is going to struggle this year. Their D should keep them in most games but life without Ryan is going to be tough. Doesn't O'leary coach UCF. I wouldn't be suprised to see them beat BC.

The DBR staff has, from my point of view, always supported ACC football when they play outside the conference. Oh, yeah, of course, except for Carolina.

acc football

I agree with jarhead's point that the DBR has supported ACC football out of conference over the years ... but I also think that the front-page preview of this weekend's games is w-a-a-a-y too negative.

I'm not an apologist for ACC football, but after a disastrous first two weeks for the league -- the nationally televised whippings of NC State at the hands of a a mediocre South Carolina team; by Clemson at the hands of a very, very young Alabama team; by Virginia at the hands of a great Southern Cal team; and by Miami at the hands of Florida certainly tarnished the league's image.

Throw in VPI's loss to East Carolina, Maryland's loss to Middle Tennessee and the struggles of UNC to beat McNeese State and Virginia to beat Richmond ... ugh. Even Wake Forest's narrow victory over an SEC also-ran on a last second field goal was pretty unimpressive.

But starting last Thursday night, a funny thing happened -- the ACC appeared to be waking up. Now, I don't think Rutgers is very good this year -- I'm willing to bet they finish sub-.500 -- but to go to Piscataway and blow them away -- with the ESPN guys spending most of the night praising Schiano and the Rutgers program -- was a useful antidote to the ACC's earlier national TV exposures.

Two days later, you get Maryland's revival against Cal -- expected to be a first-division team in the Pac 10. You get Duke's win over Navy to offset Virginia's meltdown against UConn.

I'm not saying the ACC re-established itself as a power conference, but it stopped the bleeding.

This week will be pivotal to re-establish the league's bonafides.

As I see it, the ACC has one pretty sure loss (ECU at NC State) and two pretty sure wins (Eastern Michigan at Maryland and SC State at Clemson).

The weekend will turn on:

(1) Miami at Texas A&M (the Aggies are down, but Kyle Field is a tough place to play and a win over a Big 12 team would be sweet).

(2) Miss State at Georgia Tech (the Bulldogs have a great defense, but absolutely no offense ... Tech is at home and gets a couple of key players, including its top WR, back from injury ... a win over an SEC team would be very nice).

(3) UCF at BCollege (UCF took ranked USF to the wire ... a solid team, coached by George O'Leary ... a big test for Coach Jags now that some of the stars Tom O'Brien left him are gone).

I'm not ready to make any big claims for the ACC, but with the Pac Ten (four losses to the Mountain West last weekend, plus the Cal loss to Maryland), the Big Ten and the Big East all struggling, the ACC still has a chance to climb in the BCS rankings. We won't catch the SEC or the Big 12 this year, but with a sweep of all three tossup games this week, we could begin to make the case that as a league, we're on a level with the other three BCS leagues.

I found this "A Look At This Weekend’s ACC Football Games" to be embarrassing. DBR: stick to basketball.

ACC having a good week

Well, maybe the ACC will get more respect after this week's solid showing. Miami is leading A&M 24-10 in the third quarter, and if they hold out, the ACC will have won all the out-of-conference games. Ga Tech destroyed Miss St 38-7. BC destroyed UCF 34-7. NC St pulled a big upset agst #15 East Carolina. Maryland destroyed E Mich 51-24. And Clemson obliterated SC St 54-0. Can't ask for much more.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Well, maybe the ACC will get more respect after this week's solid showing. Miami is leading A&M 24-10 in the third quarter, and if they hold out, the ACC will have won all the out-of-conference games. Ga Tech destroyed Miss St 38-7. BC destroyed UCF 34-7. NC St pulled a big upset agst #15 East Carolina. Maryland destroyed E Mich 51-24. And Clemson obliterated SC St 54-0. Can't ask for much more.
    Well Miami ended up laying a beat down on Texas A&M. I'm starting to think this ACC league isn't as bad as advertised. Maybe only SEC and Big-12 are better.

Multiple choice question.

Who has the worst offensive performance in tonights games:

a. Auburn
    b. Florida State
    c. LSU
    d. Wake Forest
    e. All of the above.

Quote Originally Posted by RelativeWays View Post

a. Auburn
    b. Florida State
    c. LSU
    d. Wake Forest
    e. All of the above.
    FSU by far. They look terrible. I'm surprised Wake's not up by more.

Quote Originally Posted by RelativeWays View Post

a. Auburn
    b. Florida State
    c. LSU
    d. Wake Forest
    e. All of the above.
    On this note, we should all take a moment to recognize that Georgia Tech put 38 on a team that big bad SEC contending, top 10 team Auburn could only score 3 points against. And yet I'm sure there will still be people arguing that the SEC could compete as an NFL conference...

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    On this note, we should all take a moment to recognize that Georgia Tech put 38 on a team that big bad SEC contending, top 10 team Auburn could only score 3 points against. And yet I'm sure there will still be people arguing that the SEC could compete as an NFL conference...

I like the SEC's chances against the AFC East or NFC West, especially the NFC West.

acc football

A lot of this is mentioned above and in other threads, but just to sum up:

-- The ACC went 6-0 outside the league Saturday. That record includes:
    NC State's upset of No. 15 East Carolina
    Georgia Tech's thrashing of the SEC's Mississippi State (scoring 38 points -- with a backup QB! -- on a defense that held Auburn to three points).
    Miami's thrashing of Texas A&M in Kyle Field
    Boston College's easy win over a Central Florida team that had taken ranked South Florida into OT
    Maryland's rout of Eastern Michigan
    Clemson's rout of SC State

Okay, the last two are pretty meaningless, except that the ACC is now beating weaker teams badly (after opening the season with some embarrassingly close wins over patsies).

The good week improved the ACC's OOC record to 23-8. It's not really that good, since the ACC is 12-0 against the FCS (that's the old Division 1-AA). Overall, the ACC is just 11-8 against the FBS (Division 1-A) and 6-6 against teams from the other BCS conferences.

That's not great, but with the Big East in total meltdown, the Pac 10 piling up the embarrassing losses and the Big Ten struggling outside the league (although Ohio State did pull away from Troy in the fourth quarter and Purdue did rally to beat Central Michigan), the ACC can make a case against any of those leagues.

The SEC and Big 12 remain head and shoulders above the rest of the BCS world at this moment ... the ACC is now 2-3 against the SEC (both wins over the two Mississippi schools; losses to South Carolina, Alabama, Florida). Still five more matchups with the SEC to go (Duke at Vandy being one).

Surprisingly, the ACC is 2-0 against the Big 12 -- both wins coming on the road (Wake at Baylor; Miami at A&M). The last two ACC/Big 12 matchups are coming up this weekend, Virginia Tech at Nebraska and Colorado-FSU in Jacksonville.

Again, my point is not that the ACC is a great football conference, but only that it has made a remarkable turnaround after the first two weeks. The way the conference is playing now, it's not impossible that the ACC will be regarded as the third best BCS conference at the end of the season (although the lack of a single great team will hurt ... USC might be the best team in the country, but the rest of the Pac 10 looks terrible ... is the Pac 10 better than the ACC???).

Next week offers another great OOC test for the league as a whole.

-- NC State gets a chance to knock off a second ranked non-ACC opponent in a row as No. 12 (in last week's poll) South Florida comes to Raleigh. If the revived Pack can upset what looks like the best team in the Big East, it would solidify the ACC's status above the collapsing league.

-- Virginia Tech at Nebraska and Colorado-FSU -- a chance to finish 4-0 against the nation's second-best conference. Colorado coming off an OT win over West Virginia, while FSU was shut down by Wake Forest -- that's the kind of game that offers a chance to win some prestige.

-- Navy at Wake Forest -- the ACC's top-ranked team needs to take care of business.

-- Rhode Island at BC -- the one patsy for the ACC this week.

The other three games are all in the league -- Virginia at Duke, UNC at Miami, Maryland against Clemson.
    Last edited by -jk; 09-21-2008 at 02:05 PM. Reason: fixed State's upset

"-- The ACC went 6-0 outside the league Saturday. That record includes:
    NC State's upset of No. 15 Georgia Tech"

Do you ever hit that Enter button and then go "I can't believe I said that?"

Acc

I think some of the negative feelings towards the ACC as a conference in football (at least for me) stem from Duke being so down and having to hear Duke needed to be dropped from the ACC. (Or volunteer to drop to a lower level on their own.) The attitude by football fans from opposing ACC schools like they had tremendous football programs had me rolling my eyes so much I was getting dizzy.

For whatever reason even with yesterdays wins, I think pretty much everyone would agree it's a down ACC year and no team is seriously in the hunt for a national title.

Acc

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    "-- The ACC went 6-0 outside the league Saturday. That record includes:
    NC State's upset of No. 15 Georgia Tech"

Do you ever hit that Enter button and then go "I can't believe I said that?"
    All is forgiven, Jim. We knew what you meant to type.