Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Return of the Jedi

is on Spike right now. That gives me pleasure. I know, I know...ROTJ is the worst of the original Star Wars films, but the way I see it, it's much like Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom...there's not much shame in being the worst of those three. I will watch this film until its conclusion.

Anyway, apparently a small rebel force has penetrated the shield and landed on Endor. Just thought y'all might want to know.

Luke just cut Darth Vader's hand off, and now the emperor is chuckling diabolically and encouraging further expression of hatred. I'm afraid.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Luke just cut Darth Vader's hand off, and now the emperor is chuckling diabolically and encouraging further expression of hatred. I'm afraid.
    You should be,.. you should be.

Can I just say that I think Lando Calrissian is awesome? Lando was not far behind Walter on the Names short list.

Red face While we're on the subject ...

is on Spike right now.
    Castaway was on TBS Sunday night ... TWICE.

That Wilson dude was vapid. Hanks was nuts.

Sure hope Fight Club is better than Castaway.
    Cheers,
    Lavabe

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    Cheers,
    Lavabe
    You STILL haven't seen Fight Club?

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    Castaway was on TBS Sunday night ... TWICE.

That Wilson dude was vapid. Hanks was nuts.

Cheers,
    Lavabe
    In all seriousness, I love 'Cast Away' (FTR, a two-word title, Lav), entirely independent of the "Wilson" thing (which has no bearing on my opinion of the film). I stayed up way too late watching it Sunday night/Monday morning, because I think it's [freak]in' brilliant.

Wink I just bought The Queen; Man Freddie Mercury can sure sing!

Quote Originally Posted by sue71 View Post
    You STILL haven't seen Fight Club?
    At least I've seen Cast Away ... twice.

And I finally saw the Simpsons movie, on Blue Ray.

It'll be hard to beat the Simpsons, on Blue Ray.

Cheers,
    Lavabe
    Last edited by Lavabe; 09-17-2008 at 12:10 AM. Reason: Wilson caught a spelling gaffe

Is it safe for me to say that I love Temple of Doom? It's actually my favorite of the Indiana Jones series. I think it has more to do with the childhood memory of watching the guy get his heart ripped out than the quality of the movie itself.

Quote Originally Posted by rockymtn devil View Post
    Is it safe for me to say that I love Temple of Doom? It's actually my favorite of the Indiana Jones series. I think it has more to do with the childhood memory of watching the guy get his heart ripped out than the quality of the movie itself.
    Fair enough. As I said earlier, I don't think it's a bad film (better than that 'Crystal Skull' nonsense, at least), just not as good as the other two.

I don't think I've ever seen the un-remastered version. That whole sequence with weird CG aliens singing and dancing in Jabba's lair - is that mostly from the remastering? That was some awful sequence. Watching it now on the west coast...

In all seriousness, I love 'Cast Away' (FTR, a two-word title, Lav), entirely independent of the "Wilson" thing (which has no bearing on my opinion of the film). I stayed up way too late watching it Sunday night/Monday morning, because I think it's [freak]in' brilliant.
    I haven't seen this movie in full, but I have seen the actual island on which it was filmed. (GREAT diving next to it!)

You can *swim* to the next island, which has a helipad. You can stand on the shore and wave to villagers on two other islands. They have fast boats.

I just don't think I can actually watch it now, knowing these things. Disbelief can not be suspended here.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    You should be,.. you should be.
    ummm.... "you WILL be, you WILL be"...

I've been pretty happy that Spike has been showing the Star Wars films recently. We recently switched from Time Warner to DirecTV so we now get Spike in HD.

Star Wars in HD is... indescribable.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    ummm.... "you WILL be, you WILL be"...
    Had to adjust the quote, since Wilson said he was already afraid. I knew I'd get jumped on for that...

Jedi gets way more hate than it deserves, ask anyone why and they'll say "EWOKS...DURRRRRRRRRRR" completely ignoring the reckoning and redemption of Vader through Luke, which is THE HEART OF THE ENTIRE SAGA!!!!! Anyway, the ewoks are a cuddly version of the viet cong, nobody ever thinks about that. Its funny how the empire was modeled after Nazi germany but could easily resemble the US and its foreign policy, particularly now.

Quote Originally Posted by RelativeWays View Post
    Jedi gets way more hate than it deserves, ask anyone why and they'll say "EWOKS...DURRRRRRRRRRR" completely ignoring the reckoning and redemption of Vader through Luke, which is THE HEART OF THE ENTIRE SAGA!!!!! Anyway, the ewoks are a cuddly version of the viet cong, nobody ever thinks about that. Its funny how the empire was modeled after Nazi germany but could easily resemble the US and its foreign policy, particularly now.
    I don't want to get into the Germany/US/Galactic Empire thing, lest we get booted to the PPB, but I totally agree with your assessment of ROTJ. It's really not a bad film, and I don't see what's so annoying about the Ewoks. If I could travel to any cinematic location ever, the Ewoks' village in the trees would be very close to the top of the list (though Rivendell would doubtless be my first choice).

Rivendell is certainly scenic, but there is little merriment to be had at the elves sacred bastion. On the other hand, nyub nyub = win. Simple formula, but always true.

Quote Originally Posted by RelativeWays View Post
    The Ewoks killed the Jedi. Not even the slave girl outfit could save the movie. The thought of midgets in bear outfits routing Imperial Storm Troopers is ludicrous even by Star Wars standards. Even Jar-Jar was better than the Ewoks.

I still can't forgive Lucas for having Obi-Wan tell Luke that Vader killed his father, and then later say that he had told the truth, from a certain point of view. Jedi are to have the honor of the Samurai. Jedi don't dissemble.

BTW do you also compare the Ewoks to Al-Qaeda?

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Even Jar-Jar was better than the Ewoks.
    FALSE.