Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Duke degree

After having spent my "decade at Duke" and then more training at various other parts of the country. It is my feeling that the PG degree and/or training is far far more respected, overall, than the undergraduate degree. Also it always amused me how provencial the country is. On the west coast they have their favorites that are "far better" than any east coast schools; the same in the mid- west - local academically oriented schools are "far better" than east coast or west coast schools. Funny but if I heard it once I've heard it a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Atlanta Duke View Post
    Reinforces what I have heard about the coaching staff saying that McRoberts hated the going to class part of college and was gone after this season - I doubt he is catching up now for finals

If that and the story that Roy benched Lawson because he quit going to class is true, then with regard to our respective commitment to academic standards for athletes I suppose we should not be tossing any rocks down 15-501 at the moment (unless someone may be able to enlighten me that McRoberts was benched for an off-court issue for the first UNC game).
    Just remember that the rumors of Josh not going to class were all over the place last year at this time as well as 'proof' that he was turning pro. What leads people to believe that those rumors are true this year? Kids drop classes all the time, and there are a lot of classes I didn't go to lecture very often. Class notes are often online, and I got a lot more out of an hour studying than an hour of listening to the lecturer. But hey, if speculating floats your boat, do so by all means. Just don't take on faith everything you read on a message board, even when someone says they have 'inside knowledge.' A few people really do, but the vast majority of people who claim to... just don't.

Quote Originally Posted by bhd28 View Post
    Just remember that the rumors of Josh not going to class were all over the place last year at this time as well as 'proof' that he was turning pro. What leads people to believe that those rumors are true this year? Kids drop classes all the time, and there are a lot of classes I didn't go to lecture very often. Class notes are often online, and I got a lot more out of an hour studying than an hour of listening to the lecturer. But hey, if speculating floats your boat, do so by all means. Just don't take on faith everything you read on a message board, even when someone says they have 'inside knowledge.' A few people really do, but the vast majority of people who claim to... just don't.
    If you want to assume I am basing my post exclusively on what I read here then your point is well taken.

Quote Originally Posted by bhd28 View Post
    kids don't just "drop classes all the time" at duke -- particularly basketball players who have to keep their eligibility and have plenty of people watching over them. i don't know what it is like now, but i dropped social dance after 3 weeks and learning that i have 2 left feet when it comes to dancing. even though it was a pass/fail class, it still is on my transcript as a "WP" or "withdrawn passing."

i agree that a lot of what is posted anonymously on an internet message board is false. however, if this is true, and it should be easy to verify, then it casts a pretty dark shadow on k and his whole mantra about athletics. moreover, i particularly remember him this year complaining about the new rule that forces nba ready high school studs to college for a year because he felt that they would take a few classes in the fall and then bail on any attempt at academics in the spring knowing that they were going in the draft. it would be extremely disappointing if it is in fact true that mcroberts did effectively drop out of duke and k did nothing about it because he knew he needed him to win games.

regarding McBob and skipping class, the same rumor was going around about William Avery... BEFORE he announced. And a couple other people I can't remember right now.

Or maybe McBob just figured out which classes he could skip. I skipped lectures all the time and rang up a 3.6. Hey, part of the college experience is learning when you can slack off.

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    regarding McBob and skipping class, the same rumor was going around about William Avery... BEFORE he announced. And a couple other people I can't remember right now.

Or maybe McBob just figured out which classes he could skip. I skipped lectures all the time and rang up a 3.6. Hey, part of the college experience is learning when you can slack off.
    grant hill skipped spanish, failed it 2nd semester senior and didn't graduate with his class. basketball players, who largely are in over their heads at duke academically, and skipping class usually is not a good combination.

Quote Originally Posted by tux View Post
    As a North Carolinian, I find UNC fans much more vocal about their alma mater. I always get the feeling that they think that I think that Duke is far superior to UNC; so, they're responding to some imaginary conversation.
    Yes, but to be honest, I think Dukies tend to do the same about the Ivies, particularly Yale for some reason. (Maybe it's just because of Brodhead, but why Duke wants to imitate a school with a 300 year old inferiority complex is beyond me )
    It's just natural to compare your school to the (fair or unfair) "standard". I have found this at Vanderbilt as well - they seem to want to compare themselves to guess who? Duke.

as some others have said, just because you have class with someone and don't see them doesn't mean anything. If they aren't there on TEST days or days when assignments are due, it means something. I had a friend of mine in mechanical engineering with who was an econ major as well (like me). In one econ class, we didn't even find out we were in the same class until the day of the second test (he took the first test early, so I didn't see him there either). I was like "you're in this class to, crazy!" when I saw him.

Now, I saw him everyday in our engineering classes, but easier classes like that one (labor economics, the teacher actually wrote "slope=rise/run" on the board, HA) are easy to skip and still get an A. Dukie8 said it best, when you are so overburdened, you need to find areas where you can steal time, and often times, that means skipping your easy classes.

Quote Originally Posted by crimsondevil View Post
    Yes, but to be honest, I think Dukies tend to do the same about the Ivies,.
    I don't know about that. I met a lot of people at Duke who got into Ivy league schools but still chose Duke (I'm one of them). And not that it's the norm, but I also met people who transferred to Duke from Ivy League schools, so I can't really agree with that.