Tell you what I dislike most about this NCAA men's tournament...

Hi,

I am rooting for teams I don't like just based on how I think they will match up with Carolina. In other words, I am trying to figure out who can beat Carolina and that becomes my team. I am so much more about rooting for Duke and not against some other team. ugh

GO DUKE!

The good thing is that there are 3 teams left that can legitimately beat UNC: OSU, G'Town, and UF. So we may still enjoy seeing UNC come up short.

That said, with regard to your main point about cheering against UNC: I see nothing wrong with this. The vast majority of sports fans (including I suspect most of those on this board who supposedly cheer for Carolina "as long as they don't play Duke") cheer for whomever their rival is playing. I unabashedly cheer for anyone against Carolina. So right now, I'm cheering for UF to hang on, and for G'Town this evening. And should UNC beat G'Town, I'll be a huge OSU fan for a week or so.

I am enjoying the tournament despite the fact we lost in the 1st Round. There have been many great games and the top seeds are winning tough games, which justifies them being top seeds.

I have an advantage in that I do not hate Carolina with a passion like the vast majority of Duke fans. I only hate Carolina with a passion when they are playing Duke. I hate losing to Carolina more than any other school, but when Carolina is playing other teams I do not hate them. That doesn't make me less of a Duke fan. I don't hate Roy Williams or Dean Smith or the Carolina players, past or present (except Ivory Latta - I hate her), etc...I do hate the typical obnoxious misinformed Carolina fan, but I have several friends who are both very knowledgeable about basketball and Carolina fans. I enjoy discussing hoops with them.

So, my advice to you is to relax, enjoy the games, and if Carolina wins the tournament, so what?

Bob Green
    Yokosuka, Japan

curious why you leave ucla off that list after they just beat kansas team that's probably even more talented that unc. not to mention that if they if they manage to beat florida, they'll have proven they can handle carolina's frontcourt.

Quote Originally Posted by phaedrus View Post
    curious why you leave ucla off that list after they just beat kansas team that's probably even more talented that unc. not to mention that if they if they manage to beat florida, they'll have proven they can handle carolina's frontcourt.
    I left them off because (1) I don't think UCLA will beat UF, and (2) I don't think UCLA can beat Carolina. They beat Kansas largely because Kansas beat themselves. Kansas didn't force the ball inside (UNC would), and they didn't finish well when they got into the lane (UNC would), and committed too many lazy turnovers (UNC wouldn't). While I agree Kansas has tons of talent, but they don't play incredibly cohesively. I think UNC does a much better job of focusing on doing what they want to do.

Of course, I could be wrong. UCLA is clearly a top-6 team, and on the right night can win against anyone. I just think that things really have to fall in place for them to beat great teams, whereas the others can win either with great talent (OSU and UF) or by playing a frustrating style (G'Town).

And remember: this UCLA team is much smaller and less prepared to handle a talented group of big men than last year's team, and the team last year was DESTROYED by UF.

I want to see UNC-UF. And my money is on UF -- not just because I live in Florida, but because I want to see UNC humiliated, and I believe UF can do it. Go gators!

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    I left them off because (1) I don't think UCLA will beat UF, and (2) I don't think UCLA can beat Carolina. They beat Kansas largely because Kansas beat themselves. Kansas didn't force the ball inside (UNC would), and they didn't finish well when they got into the lane (UNC would), and committed too many lazy turnovers (UNC wouldn't). While I agree Kansas has tons of talent, but they don't play incredibly cohesively. I think UNC does a much better job of focusing on doing what they want to do.

Of course, I could be wrong. UCLA is clearly a top-6 team, and on the right night can win against anyone. I just think that things really have to fall in place for them to beat great teams, whereas the others can win either with great talent (OSU and UF) or by playing a frustrating style (G'Town).

And remember: this UCLA team is much smaller and less prepared to handle a talented group of big men than last year's team, and the team last year was DESTROYED by UF.

I saw the KU-UCLA very differently. I saw Kansas attempt to go inside plenty, but UCLA was so active defensively that just getting the ball within 30 ft of the hoop was tough, and there were many, many Kansas touches in the lane that were disrupted by UCLA.

UCLA is playing at a completely different level defensively from where they were last year at this time, and I think that they are eminently capable of beating any team left. I expect Florida to be no more than a 3.5-pt favorite against them (I haven't looked yet).

Considering Carolina and Ohio State are the two things I despise with all my heart--and I mean with cold blooded killing-like hatred. I want to see them get embarrassed every single game, sending their fans into the bathroom sobbing crying, puking all over the place in despair and lonliness--I will probably have to leave my television screen blank during that game, if it does in fact happen, hoping both teams spontaneously combust.

And I absolutely hate Noah, but I would love to see him win it all again this season if he was the last option. However, with that said, let's hope UCLA or Georgetown (if somehow the basketball heavens shine down on them during the next hour or so) can bring it home.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    I don't hate Roy Williams or Dean Smith or the Carolina players, past or present (except Ivory Latta - I hate her)
    *snort*

Quote Originally Posted by calltheobvious View Post
    I saw the KU-UCLA very differently. I saw Kansas attempt to go inside plenty, but UCLA was so active defensively that just getting the ball within 30 ft of the hoop was tough, and there were many, many Kansas touches in the lane that were disrupted by UCLA.

UCLA is playing at a completely different level defensively from where they were last year at this time, and I think that they are eminently capable of beating any team left. I expect Florida to be no more than a 3.5-pt favorite against them (I haven't looked yet).
    Well, the spread is pretty meaningless. I don't think UF was more than a small favorite last year (if a favorite at all - they were a #3 seed to UCLA's #2), and we see what happened then. UCLA can play great defense all they want (they did so last year, too), but UF is so much bigger, and UCLA is a lot smaller than last year.

UF can be had, that's for sure. If they don't play with intensity, they're very beatable. But they can turn it on, and I guarantee you they have their focus in the Final Four. But, I guess that's why they play the games. We'll see what happens.

It's all moot now...

Hi,

Now I really don't care who wins. I would prefer it wasn't Florida though.

GO DUKE!

Well, this tournament just turned into a pure joy Now it's time for OSU to go down on my checklist, followed by Florida. Then my tournament will be fully complete.