DirecTV & Tivo getting back together

I have to say that I didn't see these two getting back together again. After DirecTV thought it could go it alone and Tivo started hanging out with the cable co's, I figured they were through.

They really make a good couple.

"DIRECTV and TiVo to Launch New HD DIRECTV DVR with TiVo Service
    Wednesday September 3, 7:00 am ET

EL SEGUNDO and ALVISO, Calif., Sept. 3 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- DIRECTV, Inc. (Nasdaq: DTV - News), the nation's leading satellite television service provider, and TiVo Inc. (Nasdaq: TIVO - News), the creator of and a leader in television services for digital video recorders (DVR), announced today that they have extended their current agreement, which includes the development, marketing and distribution of a new HD DIRECTV DVR featuring the TiVoŽ service, as well as the extension of mutual intellectual property arrangements.

Under the terms of the non-exclusive arrangement, DIRECTV and TiVo will work together to develop a version of the TiVoŽ service for DIRECTV's broadband-enabled HD DVR platform. The product will support the latest TiVo and DIRECTV features and services, including TiVo's Universal Swivel Search and TiVo KidZone. TiVo will develop the new HD DVR for an expected launch in the second half of 2009.

DIRECTV will continue to develop and offer its own portfolio of industry leading set top boxes as primary offerings to both new and existing customers. This new TiVo box will be offered as an alternative choice to those DIRECTV customers who would like to add TiVo to a full line up of DIRECTV services.

"We have had a very successful history with DIRECTV. Together we brought the TiVo experience to millions of DIRECTV customers and now we look forward to launching a next generation product that uses TiVo's latest features to truly showcase DIRECTV's broad selection of high-definition programming -- all stitched together with the elegance of TiVo's renowned user experience," said Tom Rogers, TiVo's CEO and president. "This agreement demonstrates our continued embrace of mass distribution opportunities in cooperation with major multichannel operators who recognize the value of giving their customers a choice of compelling user experiences."

Like prior products developed by TiVo and DIRECTV, the new HD offering will be marketed and sold by DIRECTV nationally to its entire customer base as part of its growing portfolio of brand name video offerings. Specific consumer pricing and packaging will be announced in conjunction with DIRECTV's launch of the product.

"As the industry's content and technology leader, DIRECTV has a long-standing reputation for developing innovative, advanced products and services, including our highly successful series of DVRs and HD DVRs," said Chase Carey, president and CEO, DIRECTV, Inc. "We will continue to work with TiVo and make this new product available to all new and existing DIRECTV customers who may want to add TiVo on top of our industry leading experience."

DIRECTV and TiVo began their relationship in 2000 with the launch of the first DIRECTV DVR with TiVo service. In April 2006, the companies announced an extension of their commercial and advertising relationship and those commercial and advertising capabilities are further extended, and now include the new HD platform. DIRECTV and TiVo also recently deployed a software update to existing DIRECTV with TiVo boxes, which enables new features like DIRECTV's Remote Booking."

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=138443

Quote Originally Posted by HaveFunExpectToWin View Post
    Under the terms of the non-exclusive arrangement, DIRECTV and TiVo will work together to develop a version of the TiVoŽ service for DIRECTV's broadband-enabled HD DVR platform.
    http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=138443
    What do they mean when they say "broadband-enabled HD DVR platform"?
    "The future ain't what it used to be."

Quote Originally Posted by DUKIECB View Post
    What do they mean when they say "broadband-enabled HD DVR platform"?
    DirecTV's current HD DVR can be hooked up to one's home network and the Internet. You can do media sharing (pics, mp3s, etc) from a PC and also download movies/shows from their DirecTV On Demand.

If you did not want to use the broadband capabilities, I'm assuming you could still purchase the new Tivo/Directv unit and use it without connecting it to broadband. Is this an accurate assumption in your opinion?
    "The future ain't what it used to be."

Thank the good TiVo spirits! My wife and I love our Directv/TiVo boxes, and my wife can't imagine life without TiVo, but our old ones have started to give out and only have 35 hours. We wanted to upgrade, but they're impossible to find now. We've tried DTV's other DVRs, but they, to be frank, suck. My wife also HATES changing technology once she's learned one way. Stubborn mechanical engineer, afraid of new things. It took me weeks to get her to try the TiVO, and now she can't watch TV without it. She's always yelling at live TV when she can't fast-forward through the commercials. Thank goodness we'll soon have an alternative option. Sounds awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by DUKIECB View Post
    If you did not want to use the broadband capabilities, I'm assuming you could still purchase the new Tivo/Directv unit and use it without connecting it to broadband. Is this an accurate assumption in your opinion?
    Correct, broadband isn't necessary for DirecTV.

Quote Originally Posted by bjornolf View Post
    Thank the good TiVo spirits! My wife and I love our Directv/TiVo boxes, and my wife can't imagine life without TiVo, but our old ones have started to give out and only have 35 hours. We wanted to upgrade, but they're impossible to find now. We've tried DTV's other DVRs, but they, to be frank, suck. My wife also HATES changing technology once she's learned one way. Stubborn mechanical engineer, afraid of new things. It took me weeks to get her to try the TiVO, and now she can't watch TV without it. She's always yelling at live TV when she can't fast-forward through the commercials. Thank goodness we'll soon have an alternative option. Sounds awesome.
    Maybe its because she's a mechanical engineer, but I would think engineers (being half engineer myself) would be all about the newest technologies.

exactly...

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Maybe its because she's a mechanical engineer, but I would think engineers (being half engineer myself) would be all about the newest technologies.
    I'm a BME/EE and she's an ME. We joke that we're in a mixed marriage. I talk amps and ablation while she speaks ft-lbs and torque, and neither of us has ANY idea what the other's talking about. Hey, they say opposites attract, and I guess it's worked for us!

And to answer your question, no, she has nothing against new technologies. But she's a little nervous about them until I learn them and teach them to her. Then she comes to love them. But once she falls in love with something, it's hard to pry her grubby little fists off it. Hence, the love affair with TiVo.
    Last edited by bjornolf; 09-03-2008 at 02:38 PM. Reason: accuracy...

Thumbs up Yahoo!!

If this is true, I'm thrilled!!!!!!! LOVE my TIVO. Hated DirecTV when they broke off with TIVO -- almost cancelled. TIVO rules!! If these two renew their relationship, I'm a fan for life.