View Poll Results: Where do you keep your butter?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • In the fridge

34 66.67%
  • Not in the fridge

11 21.57%
  • Butter? I use those terrible spreads

1 1.96%
  • Other. Please explain.

5 9.80%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Where do you keep your butter?

I keep my butter in a dish, on the counter. I hate cold butter, especially when you try to spread it across toast or bread.

On a sidenote: I was disappointed I could not find a sniglet to describe what happens when you spread cold butter on bread and the butter clumps up or the bread you poke a hole in the bread.

Quote Originally Posted by 2535Miles View Post
    I keep my butter in a dish, on the counter. I hate cold butter, especially when you try to spread it across toast or bread.

On a sidenote: I was disappointed I could not find a sniglet to describe what happens when you spread cold butter on bread and the butter clumps up or the bread you poke a hole in the bread.
    My sister-in-law always keeps the butter out. To me, it seems very unhygienic.

While living in Luxembourg, it took me a while to get used to buying eggs, as grocery stores tended to not keep them in refrigerated sections.

In the fridge. It's the 21st century, people.

I always have one box in the freezer ready to go, one box in the fridge for cooking and one stick covered in a tupperware container on the counter for spreading on bread.

I live alone so I keep my butter in the freezor 'cause it has to last, except for the stick in the butter bin in the fridg.

How about meats? I used to keep meats out overnight (then it goes in the fridge), because that's what we did at home. One day my roommate at the time threw out my chicken jambalaya because I had left it out overnight, I got mad at him. Then I find out apparently here you're not supposed to do that. I just think leaving meat out overnight made my stomach stronger

This poll needs to be multiple choice - I both keep my butter in the fridge (I use it for cooking/baking), and use a 'spread' for my toast. (Which I also keep in the fridge.)

Kudos for using that 80's term, sniglet.

I should clarify that I'm talking about the stick of butter you're keeping around for daily use. I keep the reserve sticks in the fridge and one on the counter in a butter dish.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilAlumna View Post
    Kudos for using that 80's term, sniglet.
    http://bertc.com/subfour/truth/sniglets.htm Enjoy!

I keep our tub of "I can't believe it's not butter" in the butter section of the fridge. The extra tubs are in the freezer waiting their turn to thaw!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

There's an awesome little butter dish. It's made by Cook Street, Inc. and it's called the Butter Boat by them. It's an attractive little ceramic piece that comes in a couple sizes and several colors and patterns. You put cold water in the outer dish, then you put an inner dish in it with the butter in it and put the lid on it. It keeps your butter fine on the counter for a couple weeks, and it's nice and soft for spreading. They're awesome, and they even come in a smaller size for those that don't use a lot. We love it, as do my parents and several others.

Gross! You all would keep your butter out of the fridge? It's a dairy product. Won't it go bad without refrigeration?

Keep it in the fridge, and if you need to soften it up, put it in the mircowave for a few seconds.

I've heard of those butter dishes for the counter. I'm not sure I'm responsible enough to change the water regularly though.

Has anyone else tried the butter that has canola oil mixed in? The taste is fine (much better than margarine or those spreads) and it's always just the right consistency!

I remember as a kid the butter we were using stayed on the kitchen table in a glass butter dish. As long as it was covered it was OK. The rest was kept in the fridge until the dish needed a refill.

Restaurants used to keep butter in single servings out on the table all the time

Butter is a dairy product, but by the time it becomes butter there's not much dairy left in it.

Quote Originally Posted by CathyCA View Post
    Gross! You all would keep your butter out of the fridge? It's a dairy product. Won't it go bad without refrigeration?

Keep it in the fridge, and if you need to soften it up, put it in the mircowave for a few seconds.
    I suppose it depends on the environmental factors but my butter has never gone bad outside of the fridge.

I am also proud to say that I do not own a microwave. Microwaves are evil.

I am also proud to say that I do not own a microwave. Microwaves are evil.
    and how are things there in the 1950s?

Quote Originally Posted by hc5duke View Post
    and how are things there in the 1950s?
    Tasting much better than Hot Pockets and your over-salted fried chicken.

Tasting much better than Hot Pockets and your over-salted fried chicken.
    I'm seriously wondering how do you reheat leftovers... oven?

A fire. A fire which he makes himself by rubbing sticks together rapidly. Old school.

I vacuum seal leftovers which lends itself to boiling leftovers in the bag (soups, stews, etc.), or I'll pan fry the food. I rarely reheat food in the oven. It all depends on what I'm cooking.

Quote Originally Posted by billybreen View Post
    A fire. A fire which he makes himself by rubbing sticks together rapidly. Old school.
    I prefer chimney starters.

Chimney starter = awesome. I have one too, and I get all snobby when people use lighter fluid