Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Olympic Basketball - Argentina Thread

Argentina got by Greece, so that's who we'll see in the semis. Let's see, Ginobli, Scola, Nocioni? That's a murderers row. I say Argentina by 7.

Never heard of Ginboli.

Nocioni vs. Kobe/D-Wade/Melo? I'll take the U.S. of A by a lot.

good game

This should be a good game for the right to go to the Gold Medal game.

Ginobli will have a good game so will the rest of the Argentina players, but once again there is no way the US will lose.

It will be the most competitive game so far but the USA will win 87-78

Olympic Basketball- Argentina Thread (Semifinal)

Argentina just pulled off a nail-biter against Greece (Spanoulis missed an open three to win at the end).

I am in the camp that believes that if Greece was America's biggest threat, Argentina is the second biggest (sorry, I have just never believed in the Spain hype).

Here are a couple of my thoughts.

1) Nocioni- I believe it was who Nocioni went down in the middle of the Greece game with an ankle issue. In Ginobili's words, "Without him we have no chance." If Noc heals and comes back Argentina has a punchers chance, but if not...

2) More Big Leaugers- The Argentinean starting lineup will be Ginobili, Nocioni, Oberto, Scola, and the weak link, point guard Prigioni. Carlos Delfino comes off the bench and just had a great game against Greece. This team has quite a few players who either start or see significant minutes off the bench in the NBA.

3) Depth- Though Argentina has a decent starting lineup, they have zero depth. Only one player averages more than ten minutes off the bench. Furthermore, the bench averages less than 15 points/game. The US should really wear this team down.

4) Coming on Strong- Deron Williams told Sager that he can feel the Gold medal within his reach after this game. I do not see the US team reverting back to old habits and less intensity. Plus, Kobe is coming on now and has found his range. This game really shouldn't be close.

Please add your thoughts and comments...

Quote Originally Posted by billybreen View Post
    Argentina got by Greece, so that's who we'll see in the semis. Let's see, Ginobli, Scola, Nocioni? That's a murderers row. I say Argentina by 7.
    Imminently reasonable as always.

Quote Originally Posted by calltheobvious View Post
    Imminently reasonable as always.
    In the spirit of Grammar Day, I believe you mean 'eminently reasonable.'

What is the date/time of the game? Doc

Quote Originally Posted by doctorhook View Post
    I don't think it has been published yet. Women are tomorrow at 8:00 a.m. EDT on MSNBC.

Quote Originally Posted by doctorhook View Post
    This Friday 8/22. The semifinal games are at 8:00 PM and 10:15 PM Beijing time (8:00 AM and 10:15 AM EDT). Don't know for sure if US is in first game or second, though usabasketball.com says 10:15.

Wow, so Argentina nips Greece by two, would have loved to have seen that.

This game should be interesting as Argentina has similar size at guard as we do. We'll see if they can handle the ball well against our pressure. The Argentines also like to jack up some threes (32 attempts vs. Greece, 13 by Gnobli!) but we won't be employing zone like Greece did.

Scola is a guy who could give us some fits. He's powerful, does not shy away from physical contact and he can score. That should be an interesting matchup underneath with either LeBron or Carmelo.

Argentina doesn't appear to be a very deep team. Nocioni is banged up with a knee injury that bothered him against Greece and Manu said after the game that his legs were gone down the stretch. Argentina was fortunate to have Carlos Delfino act like J.J in an ACC Championship game down the stretch.

I found this schedule, which provides a bit more information on times, etc.:
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/oly...html#20080820

Here are a couple of my thoughts.

1) Nocioni- I believe it was Nocioni who went down in the middle of the Greece game with an ankle issue. In Ginobili's words, "Without him we have no chance." If Noc heals and comes back Argentina has a punchers chance, but if not...

2) More Big Leaugers- The Argentinean starting lineup will be Ginobili, Nocioni, Oberto, Scola, and the weak link, point guard Prigioni. Carlos Delfino comes off the bench and just had a great game against Greece. This team has quite a few players who either start or see significant minutes off the bench in the NBA.

3) Depth- Though Argentina has a decent starting lineup, they have zero depth. Only one player averages more than ten minutes off the bench. Furthermore, the bench averages less than 15 points/game. The US should really wear this team down.

4) Coming on Strong- Deron Williams told Sager that he can feel the Gold medal within his reach after this game. I do not see the US team reverting back to old habits and less intensity. Plus, Kobe is coming on now and has found his range. This game really shouldn't be close.

http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/...goryId=2378529

Bill Walton with a pretty good take on the USA team so far.

Has anyone asked Chris Sheridan what he thinks? LOL

I say USA by 14 in this one!

Quote Originally Posted by billybreen View Post
    thanks billy, i was actually feeling ok today after the australian game...now, i've got a little cough . (cough - hack Wheeze)

Quote Originally Posted by quickgtp View Post
    Has anyone asked Chris Sheridan what he thinks? LOL

I say USA by 14 in this one!
    Whatever Sheridan says, I will out-pessimist him. That is my solemn promise to you.

USA over Argentina 103-81

NBC has game online

Quote Originally Posted by jipops View Post
    Wow, so Argentina nips Greece by two, would have loved to have seen that.

This game should be interesting as Argentina has similar size at guard as we do. We'll see if they can handle the ball well against our pressure. The Argentines also like to jack up some threes (32 attempts vs. Greece, 13 by Gnobli!) but we won't be employing zone like Greece did.

Scola is a guy who could give us some fits. He's powerful, does not shy away from physical contact and he can score. That should be an interesting matchup underneath with either LeBron or Carmelo.
    You can see the Argentina Greece game on the nbcolympics.com- they have rewinds on all the games.

Quote Originally Posted by freedevil View Post
    Never heard of Ginboli.
    It is sort of a liquid version of stromboli. Quite potent.