Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Red face olympic opening ceremony scandals...

Apparently, the amazing opening ceremony wasn't 100% real. Pre-taped (possibly CGI?) fireworks, lip-synching? What's next? Half the drummers were added in with CGI like the armies in movies? What really happened there?

Here's the story:

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/new...v=ap&type=lgns

One thing was certainly real, perhaps the largest Windows bluescreen of death ever. Fortunately, it didn't get any TV time.

The "foot-print" fireworks was actually set off during the ceremony. However, it was potentially dangerous for the helicopters to try to film the fireworks from above the sky, and also technically it may not work well especially when you are having a live broadcast to the whole world. Therefore, what was shown on TV was a tape of the that fireworks done previously. But that's only limited to the very first set of "foot-print" fireworks.

So, people who were in Beijing at that time actually saw the fireworks in real-time. People who watched TV, well, watched images of the fireworks.

As a matter of fact, during the broadcast, it was told to the audience. Not many were paying attention though. And now, it's a "scandal".

And it's not like we could even hear the little girl singing b/c Bob Costas wouldn't shut up.

while having 2008 performers in almost every set of performance may sound a litter crazy here, it is not that big of a deal in China. After all, we do have more than 1 billion of people. Large scale performances are quite common in big ceremonies. So, , don't worry about CGI.

Hmmm...

You could liken it to Milli Vanilli, call it a marketing ploy and dismiss it. However, the first thought that hit me was of a certain society many years ago that preferred people with a particular look. I think it's disgusting. They obviously had the little girl with the beautiful voice prepared but they were unwilling to put her on stage.

Quote Originally Posted by wisteria View Post
    The "foot-print" fireworks was actually set off during the ceremony. However, it was potentially dangerous for the helicopters to try to film the fireworks from above the sky, and also technically it may not work well especially when you are having a live broadcast to the whole world. Therefore, what was shown on TV was a tape of the that fireworks done previously. But that's only limited to the very first set of "foot-print" fireworks.

So, people who were in Beijing at that time actually saw the fireworks in real-time. People who watched TV, well, watched images of the fireworks.

As a matter of fact, during the broadcast, it was told to the audience. Not many were paying attention though. And now, it's a "scandal".
    I heard it was also due to the nasty pollution which would've obscured the view from the sky. Sue?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    You could liken it to Milli Vanilli, call it a marketing ploy and dismiss it. However, the first thought that hit me was of a certain society many years ago that preferred people with a particular look. I think it's disgusting. They obviously had the little girl with the beautiful voice prepared but they were unwilling to put her on stage.
    I have no idea what Milli Vanilli is. But I think they f**ked up on this lip-singing issue. I have a faint idea what that certain society you are referring to is. But I don't think we should go that far. Beijing is just doing too much, trying to get this whole olympics thing too perfect, to a point that I think it's unnecessary.

At least this time Beijing came out with the truth first to give the real singer credit. I personally think the criticism over this issue is justified. We should learn from these stupid mistakes. I can tell you that a lot of people in China are also criticizing this issue. But do I think it deserves the great attention it's getting ( or it will get ) from international media? No.

Quote Originally Posted by 2535Miles View Post
    I heard it was also due to the nasty pollution which would've obscured the view from the sky. Sue?
    sure, it could be too.

EarlJam to China:

We have this explosive experience together for hours! Oh the noises you were making! The fireworks! The passion! The emotion! The sweat!

Now I’m learning you faked it?

So much for happy endings.

-EarlJam

while having 2008 performers in almost every set of performance may sound a litter crazy here, it is not that big of a deal in China. After all, we do have more than 1 billion of people. Large scale performances are quite common in big ceremonies. So, , don't worry about CGI.
    I am more worried about how they "cut down" to 2008 performers.

I have no idea what Milli Vanilli is.
    Jeesh, you're making me feel a little old. They're only the most (in)famous lip-synchers of all time! Late 80's.

At least this time Beijing came out with the truth first to give the real singer credit.
    I got a sense from reading the article that the music director brought it up in his interview but that others involved probably did not intend for it to be known. Notice he would not comment on it any further.

Jeesh, you're making me feel a little old. They're only the most (in)famous lip-synchers of all time! Late 80's.

I got a sense from reading the article that the music director brought it up in his interview but that others involved probably did not intend for it to be known. Notice he would not comment on it any further.
    No Sir, you are not old. I'm a foreigner after all, and I don't know about a lot of things that have happened here before 2003.

I was under different impression and thought they intended to disclose it. Well, I could very well be wrong, which won't be the first time. Still, as I said, they messed up and deserve to be criticized over this issue. The fireworks, though, IMO, is a non-issue.

No Sir, you are not old. I'm a foreigner after all, and I don't know about a lot of things that have happened here before 2003.
    Didn't realize that. Not sure what country you hail from but interestingly Milli Vanilli came from Europe if I remember correctly. Don't worry, either way, you didn't miss anything!

Didn't realize that. Not sure what country you hail from but interestingly Milli Vanilli came from Europe if I remember correctly. Don't worry, either way, you didn't miss anything!
    According to Wiki, they were formed in Germany. Also, thanks to Wiki, my eyes are bleeding. Enjoy!

Thumbs up Up, up with people ...

Alex, I'll take Ashlee Simpson Trivia for $100. Wikipedia has a good discussion of lip synch'ing in pop culture.

Frankly, I like the lip synching done in the original film version of Westside Story." Did you REALLY want to listen to Natalie Wood sing (vs. Marni Nixon)?

Regardless of what happens with this, it was still an awesome opening ceremony.
    Cheers,
    Lavabe

I heard them explain the CGI during the broadcast, but I didn't really understand what aspect of it was, so I agree the fireworks were a non-issue. The little girl was so clearly lip-sinking, I knew right away, but I would expect it based on the situation, so I think it is a non issue as well. I was blown away by the whole performance.

Quote Originally Posted by 2535Miles View Post
    You rang?

Quote Originally Posted by sue71 View Post
    You rang?
    Is that the name of the girl who sang?

Quote Originally Posted by hc5duke View Post
    Is that the name of the girl who sang?
    ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!