Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    one of the haters on espn today was saying that the europeans were "known for playing possum" when they know they are going to be in the medal round..

so, i guess the greeks wanted to lose...
    Since we're already talking about Futurama in the OTB...
    : It was always our plan to lose the qualifying round game, thus deepening America's eventual humiliation. Also, what game were the refs watching?

Great article on the U.S.-Greece game over at Basketball Prospectus. My favorite part - the author tracked Greece's success on the screen-and-roll after the 2006 shred job that play caused. The results:

It all started with the defense on the pick-and-roll, which Greece famously ran 42 times in the 2006 victory. Because of that, I started charting how the USA defended pick-and-rolls early in the game, ultimately stopping midway through the fourth quarter when the game was well in hand. Overall, I counted 23 pick-and-rolls in that span that led directly to offensive action. On those 23 opportunities, Greece scored four times for a total of nine points.
    That's just ridiculously good defense.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Some pretty funny quotes from Yahoo's Ball Don't Lie

• 92-69? That's it? What is that, eight, nine points? We should be beating teams like Greece by 80 or 90 points. We should be winning games 150-6! And those six points should only happen because we're shooting on our own net in the first half to get used to the rims.

• (Following a 14-foot USA jump shot): Is this is a joke? We're supposed to be the GREATEST TEAM IN THE WORLD and we can't dunk the ball from 14 feet? Pathetic. Brent Barry would have dunked that. Where is Brent Barry? Why will no one answer me?

But wait,

Quote Originally Posted by hc5duke View Post
    Since we're already talking about Futurama in the OTB...
    : It was always our plan to lose the qualifying round game, thus deepening America's eventual humiliation. Also, what game were the refs watching?
    The only problem with that phlosophy is that if Greece were to lose their next game it is possible for them to not make the medal rounds. There was no doubt about it this was just a clinic on how to play the game.

Go
    USA

It all started with the defense on the pick-and-roll, which Greece famously ran 42 times in the 2006 victory. Because of that, I started charting how the USA defended pick-and-rolls early in the game, ultimately stopping midway through the fourth quarter when the game was well in hand. Overall, I counted 23 pick-and-rolls in that span that led directly to offensive action. On those 23 opportunities, Greece scored four times for a total of nine points.
    That is amazing. Somebody should tell ESPN so they can give K a little credit over there.

Great game, but free-throw shooting was atrocious. Come on guys.

K will get tons of credit if the team keeps playing like this. No worries. He already is, thought it's a bit indirect and tentative, as frankly it should be after only 3 games.

I kept thinking that I was seeing what Duke defense might look like if Duke players could actually play Duke defense. Someone mentioned Shane upthread and that's probably how long it's been since we've seen anything like this in blue and white.

Yeah, they should make their FTs - the rest of the world seems much better at that than we are - and make more 3s. Kobe is the only one I feel good about taking 3s right now. Redd obviously can do it - several of them can - but Redd doesn't see much playing time. But they are SO quick to the ball and to the hoop. It can be breathtaking to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by mapei View Post
    But they are SO quick to the ball and to the hoop. It can be breathtaking to watch.
    Word. I've been a somewhat reluctant fan up until now. I love the way K has screwed their heads on straight and brought them together as a team, but I prefer watching the intricate pattern offense some of the other countries play to the NBA/K style of trying to find mismatches for superior athletes. So I was mustering up only two cheers for the team, and I still think they can lose if someone can get them into a half court game.

But to this point that doesn't seem at all probable, so I'm just going to sit back and enjoy the show. They just come over you like a tidal wave every couple of minutes, and it's awesome to behold. The physicality James and Wade are bringing to the table is stunning. The Dream Team would be overmatched athletically against this bunch.

Quote Originally Posted by dkbaseball View Post
    The Dream Team would be overmatched athletically against this bunch.
    Interesting you should make this point, as I have been thinking if (when) we win the gold, there will definitely be some Dream Team comparisons, and some "Which team was better" articles.

There's no real point in discussing it now, before medals are won.

Sidenote: why does Bosh insist on that horrible Kid 'n' Play hairstyle?

Just saw some brief comments by USA players after the win over Greece. Apparently, prior to the contest, Coach K played highlights of the Greek team celebrating the win over the US in the 2006 World Championships. When asked by a reporter what kind of motivator Coach K was, Chris Bosh answered, "A +++". K himself complimented the team on a great defensive effort and gave a sly smile.