Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by hc5duke View Post
    Just because a lot of people are using the term doesn't make it correct. See: irregardless, than/then, alot/a lot, awhile/a while, etc..
    Better watch out, or throaty is gonna swoop in and rain down some descriptive vs. proscriptive linguistics arguments on you.

Irregardless of the "untracked" discussion, I'd like to see everyone on the team play well. Including Melo.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueintheFace View Post
    They look like a really small team, so I guess we will see an awful lot of zone.
    I propose more minutes for Michael Redd.
    Bob Green

Wow, this is the only place I know that actually combines a comprehensive lesson on the english language and phrases, then throw in a stimulated discussion on basketball all in the same thread. Very cool.. I have to also admit that it would have been nice to see J.J on the USA team thowing in some sweat 3 pointers. I think the game against Angola will be a no brainer for us, but it is still nice to see the reception our team is getting.

i'm can't find the game on the west coast! (SF) it says its supposed to be on USA, but its not!

The game doesn't start until 8:00 am EDT or 8 pm Beijing time.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    The game doesn't start until 8:00 am EDT or 8 pm Beijing time.
    Ah yes, our man on the ground (almost) Thank you sir.

FYI for anyone on the west coast, or at least in SF, its on USA (channel 42 regular, 738 HD) live at 5am, I think:

http://www.nbcolympics.com/tv_and_on...me=240/tv.html

SOMEBODY, had me a lil confused and I was kinda freaking out.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    What's game time (EST)?
    Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Tuesday, Aug 12

US v Angola

2:30 a.m. Live (NBC)

8:00 a.m. Replay (USA)

I was also confused by a combination of Indoor66's post and the AFN sports schedule that both reflected a 3:30 pm Tokyo time start. I checked the Official Beijing Olympics site for the right start time:

http://en.beijing2008.cn/
    Bob Green

Just awoke to a surprising game---China vs Spain going into overtime!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    I was also confused by a combination of Indoor66's post and the AFN sports schedule that both reflected a 3:30 pm Tokyo time start. I checked the Official Beijing Olympics site for the right start time:

http://en.beijing2008.cn/
    Sorry for the wrong info re tv times. I got my info from the NBC site schedule I printed out before the games began.

Sloppy Sloppy Sloppy... This is just ugly so far. Are there any teams that shoot poorly from three on us... and the turnovers, UGH. I hope the second half is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Sorry for the wrong info re tv times. I got my info from the NBC site schedule I printed out before the games began.
    No problem.
    Bob Green

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by BlueintheFace View Post
    Sloppy Sloppy Sloppy... This is just ugly so far. Are there any teams that shoot poorly from three on us... and the turnovers, UGH. I hope the second half is better.
    2nd half beginning is on & off good play from the US. The off part is the US leaving the Angolans wide open for threes. The US free throw percentage in the 2nd half is very spotty.

I like the small US lineup: Wade, Paul, Williams, Bosh, James. Some nice spurts.

Cheers,
    Lavabe

This game is way too sloppy. We should be playing way better.

I'm really scared that Spain is going to hurt us if we're playing like this against them.

Score?

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar Kaufman View Post
    Score?
    93-65, US leads. 3 minutes left in the game.

ETA: 97-76, Final Score.

i realize that we don't have are A team out there right now, but even still we are playing way to sloppy. 76-97 FINAL...I would have expected to us to be doing better. one other observation we seemed to foul a lot more than angola did...oh well...we got the W. Good Job Coach K and the US!

Outside shooting

US did not shoot well from outside. 5-21 as a team on 3-pt FG and Kobe was 0-8 (ESPN preliminary boxscore). That needs to improve.

Off performance by our team. They lacked energy, crispness. No need to over analyze, they'll play up to the competition when they play Greece and Spain.

Why is everybody so afraid of Spain? They BARELY beat China, who is not a good team. We need to be very afraid of Greece. They play the style of basketball we struggle with and are very hot right now.

I think there are a few stories developing now that two games are done--

1) First and Foremost, why can't we hit a three pointer? I mean, come on!! I never thought I'd say this, but I miss Mike Miller right now. After 2 games we have hit 12 of 45 three pointers.

2) Melo and Kobe. Kobe is 10/27 after two games while Melo is... well is he even on the team? He's been invisible when he has been in the game which might be why he isn't in a whole lot. Though Kobe has ben going cold of late, at least he is taking the exact shots K wants him to take. His shots have primarily been taken around the rim and from three. Collins made a great point about how he is used to the ball in his hands and almost never catches and shoots. It sounds like a silly distinction, but those of us who have played know how different the two are. Still, he has been a significant presence on the defensive end, unlike Melo. Here's hoping Melo picks it up and Kobe finds his touch.

3) Defending the three... We don't. Rotation has been slow after pick-n-rolls and passing lane gambles. Both teams have had many many open three opportunities. I shudder when I think about Greece or Argentina getting that many perfect looks.

4) It is clear that D-wade and Lebron are keyed in this summer. The great thing about this loaded team is that when you have the best player in the world and your best FIBA player struggling, you still have two players of this caliber. Imagine if Pau Gasol and Jose Calderon started to stink up the place. Spain would really struggle.

5) Going small- It is becoming increasingly obvious that the US is much more effective without two of the starters- Dwight Howard and Jason Kidd. Both will play very important roles against several teams in this tourney (Howard against Germany/ Spain, Kidd in knockout play), but we play much better Defense and Offense with a lineup that includes Williams or Paul and Bosh. Bosh has really stood out so far this summer with his energy and smart play. Williams and Paul simply add another dimension to the point position. Kidd will not drive the lane or shoot the three and is not that much of a better passer. Plus, the two young guns are better on pressuring the ball. Kidd's leadership and experience will be key in knockout play when the US needs a good start, but the team is simply less effective on both ends of the floor with him in.

So far I think the most effective lineup for both Defense and Offense has actually been Williams/Paul, Kobe, D-Wade, Lebron, and Bosh.

Why is everybody so afraid of Spain? They BARELY beat China, who is not a good team. We need to be very afraid of Greece. They play the style of basketball we struggle with and are very hot right now.
    I completely agree here!

Quote Originally Posted by studdlee10 View Post
    Except that Spain beat Greece by 15.

The USA team definitely let up against Angola. When they turned up the intensity, they just dominated defensively. But when they got up by 30 they backed off again. It's like they do just enough to keep a good lead. I guess that's understandable, but can lead to bad habits. Shooting has to get better, and I believe it will. They'll come out on fire one of these games and win by 50.