Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

good fried chicken recipes needed

This thread has actually made me hungry for some good southern style fried chicken (with apologies to tecumseh)... I have a deep fryer (haven't used it in a while, I swear!) but I've never fried chicken before. Anyone have a good recipe?

Hey hc5,

I've been meaning to get to this recipe, but I don't have access to a deep fryer and my iron skillet is out of commission. So I've never prepared it, but it calls for lard (great for frying) and brining the chicken. Have fun and send vacuum-sealed frozen samples to:
    2535Miles, CA (the post office will know where to find me)

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2...cipe_ever.html

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I'll let the others provide your recipes. ( I usually go with seasoned batter and eggs) I'll give you a good tip though. Boil the chicken before frying. You don't have to completely cook it, but your fried chicken will be much tastier and jucier as a result.

Buttermilk may be the key

To make the chicken juicy underneath the crust created in frying, some cooks soak the chicken in buttermilk overnight. I learned this from someone who owns a local " down home style" restaurant.

As for recipes, try the Food Network's web site. You can access the recipes and tips from several icons in southern cooking. If you decide you want to purchase a cookbook to keep on hand, try Momma Dip's!

Follow the advice hc5, that's three of us in a row that suggest some form of brining and/or soaking before frying. Tis the secret to nice juicy meat, and it tends to be a bit more forgiving if you over fry.

Be careful though and make sure you dry your pieces before dredging and coating, any latent water may cause nasty clumps that don't fry up well or taste very good.

Mmmmmm chicken

I love homemade fried chicken, but cannot stand Kentucky Fried Chicken.
    ~rthomas

My mama and both my grandmas used a cast iron skillet, and so do I. Oh, God, I think I'll make me some tonight!

I'll defer to all of the other experts on the board concerning the chicken prep, but I love using ritz crackers mixed in the blender with seasonings as my coating.

Quote Originally Posted by hc5duke View Post
    This thread has actually made me hungry for some good southern style fried chicken (with apologies to tecumseh)... I have a deep fryer (haven't used it in a while, I swear!) but I've never fried chicken before. Anyone have a good recipe?
    Dude. Did you fry the chicken?

Quote Originally Posted by 2535Miles View Post
    Dude. Did you fry the chicken?
    not yet... I'm thinking tomorrow night actually.

Quote Originally Posted by hc5duke View Post
    not yet... I'm thinking tomorrow night actually.
    Rad! Can't wait to hear all about it.

One of my specialties. I prefer seasoning my flour, dipping the chicken in it, and then right to the hot grease. Fried hard. Really no need for all the extra soaking if you know what you're doing.

1) Grill the chicken, don't fry it.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    1) Grill the chicken, don't fry it.
    Well then we'd have to call it grilled chicken! LOL!

Fuggget that! We are looking for that stroke, high blood pressure, heart attack goodness!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SupaDave View Post
    Well then we'd have to call it grilled chicken! LOL!

Fuggget that! We are looking for that stroke, high blood pressure, heart attack goodness!!!
    As on the other board, I hesitate to bring this up, but Nas has an amazing track (#11) on his new album about this prepared bird. (Feat. Busta Rhymes). It's a meditation on the food and ethnicity--but I think we've got enough evidence from this thread that the appeal is trans-ethnic. Anyway, the song is awesome.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    As on the other board, I hesitate to bring this up, but Nas has an amazing track (#11) on his new album about this prepared bird. (Feat. Busta Rhymes). It's a meditation on the food and ethnicity--but I think we've got enough evidence from this thread that the appeal is trans-ethnic. Anyway, the song is awesome.
    The whole album is awesome!
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

Actually Nas is my favorite rapper b/c I'm somewhat of an intelligent hoodlum myself (at least that's what my mom thought but life has mellowed me out majorly).

Nas' album is wonderfully introspective and that song along with Busta's verse is pretty much the first time a rapper from the mainstream has touched on such topics.

LOTS of rappers, i.e. Dead Prez, Andre 3000, Kanye, Lauren Hill have changed their eating habits and many are vegetarian.

This song is important b/c not only does it give the history but also the bad side of eating some of this food on a regular basis.

After tearing two ligaments in my ankle, I went to the doctor. They do my blood pressure and the nurse (who's black) looks at me like "When was the last time you had your blood pressue taken?"

Uh oh!! So I thought of everything I had eaten in the last week and to my horror - my diet was freaking UNBELIEVABLE. To top it off I had just recently one of the best burgers of my life - a half pound bacon cheeseburger from one of those mom and pop shops. Geez! Even eating it I thought it could kill me but the nurse confirmed it.

Since that day - my entire diet has changed and yes - I will do grilled over fried.

But like Nas' song said - I've still got to have some fried chicken every once in a while.

I just want you all to know that since I have been unable to procure any fried chicken in this past week, Southern or otherwise, you've made me eat french fries day after day with my meals! Thanks a lot, DBR.

Oh, and surprisingly, Publix has some great fried chicken. They were voted second best in Birmingham some years back which I thought was crazy at the time, but their recipe actually is pretty darned good.

Quote Originally Posted by blublood View Post
    I just want you all to know that since I have been unable to procure any fried chicken in this past week, Southern or otherwise, you've made me eat french fries day after day with my meals! Thanks a lot, DBR.
    Do I need to remind you of the Workout thread?

That's ok. I ate pizza last night. Lots of it. But dang, it was goooooooooooooood.

Quote Originally Posted by sue71 View Post
    Do I need to remind you of the Workout thread?

That's ok. I ate pizza last night. Lots of it. But dang, it was goooooooooooooood.
    Oh, the fries aren't even the worst of it. I'm nervously waiting to hear back about a job I interviewed for either Friday or Monday and somehow ended up devouring 6 cookies in, like, ten minutes.

But on the upside, I am going to Suki's class today and she will no doubt do her best to get rid of the excess calories!