Thread: K's Double Duty

K's Double Duty

This was in a very complimentary article on K and the Olympic team the other day in the LA Times. It's the only thing in the largely Q&A piece that I didn't love:

Q: As important a period as this is for the Olympic team, it is also an important time for Duke in terms of recruiting. Are you trying to straddle your two obligations?

A: No, I took myself off the road NCAA-wise three days into the period. I went out the 6th, 7th and 8th of July and then notified [the NCAA] compliance [office] and our conference to take me off the road. . . . I just can't recruit now. Are you kidding me? We are trying to win a gold medal. If any recruit doesn't understand, that's too bad.

My question is: too bad for who? Seems to me we're right in the middle of some pretty important recruiting battles and while of course K has responsibilities to the Olympic team that he must and should fulfill, even he seems to be saying that it really could impact recruiting. I know this has been discussed elsewhere, but to hear it come from K himself was, for me, unsettling.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    My question is: too bad for who?
    Too bad for that recruit that they're selfish and lack perspective outside of their tiny world.

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    Too bad for that recruit that they're selfish and lack perspective outside of their tiny world.
    Amen!

+1 (which is too short, so here.)