Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    App State would have beat Duke about 55-20 or somewhere in that neighborhood. Duke would not stop them last year or this year for that matter. When Appalachian State goes down to Baton Rouge in about 4 weeks and hangs close with the Tigers that will be impressive. LSU's QB situation will make that game A LOT closer than it should be.

We would have lost by approx five million points last year to ASU. Actually, 55-20 sounds fairly reasonable as a final score guess.

This year though... get on the national championship train!

Smile Bulletin! Bulletin!

(Sorry to hijack the thread, but this is a late-breaking development.)

Ex-Blue Devil football players involved in monumental voting miscalculation for Board seats at Yahoo:

"More than 200 million votes were incorrectly tallied to support incumbents."

Chairman of the Board Roy Bostock received 200 million votes that were not awarded to him and fellow Dukie Gary Wilson received 100 million. Both were class of 1962 and members of the victorious Cotton Bowl team of the previous year. Bostock was Dean of the Fuqua School IIRC and Wilson was the former Chairman at Northwest Airlines (where Bostock was also on the Board).

While others swear that Bostock was a player who saw a lot of action, I remember him in jersey and no shoulder pads, keeping track of the substitutions under the arcane and bizarre substitution rules of the era. Bostock clearly had the most brainpower of anyone on the sidelines, in uniform or not. (Sorry, Coach Murray; sorry, Coach Parker.)

sagegrouse

Smile Bulletin! Bulletin!

Ex-Blue Devil football players involved in monumental voting miscalculation for Board seats at Yahoo:

Chairman of the Board Roy Bostock received 200 million votes that were not awarded to him and fellow Dukie Gary Wilson received 100 million. Both were class of 1962 and members of the victorious Cotton Bowl team of the previous year. Bostock was Dean of the Fuqua School IIRC and Wilson was the former Chairman at Northwest Airlines (where Bostock was also on the Board).

While others swear that Bostock was a player who saw a lot of action, I remember him in jersey and no shoulder pads, keeping track of the substitutions under the arcane and bizarre substitution rules of the era. Bostock clearly had the most brainpower of anyone on the sidelines, in uniform or not. (Sorry, Coach Murray; sorry, Coach Parker.)

sagegrouse

Ahhh Football

I guess in a way, just seeing a thread on football on the DBR boards signifies hope. And I will be the first to say since being hired Coach Cut has said all the right things and done things that will improve the program if not immediately then over time. That being said I have to caution fans to have a wait and see yet positive attitude.

I remember Coach A taking over and getting Coach B's senior players then winning more games the next year and even making a bowl apperance. People jumped on the Coach B bandwagon only to have their hopes dashed over the next few seasons. Those were years when the previous coach had done a really good job in recruiting, particularly in a single year. While I don't think Duke is devoid of talent by any means, by position they are behind most teams in Division 1.

I love seeing us getting recruits in key positions, but as stated in one of the previews you can have great quarterbacks and running backs. But if you have a less than stellar offensive line giving the QB time to throw and making holes for the backs to run progress will be extremely slow. Quick slants and even trick plays designed by Cut should make a difference and keep oposing defenses on their toes. But by God, if the Duke offense can't move the ball, the defense will be playing 75% of the game like they did last year. We have a good defense, one of the most underappreciated in quite a while, but they wore down in games all year having to play so much of he game.

Special teams MUST be addressed and I don't care if they have to get the chick who sued Duke for cutting her from the football team to kick, if she can boot it, suit her up. Hopefully recuiting will play a major role in that department. I don't mean to sound sarcastic, but where other than Duke is a kicker traditionally going to get more opportunities to play?

Millionaire Butch Davis didn't turn the heels around in one season. We may have his equal or and even superior coach in Coach Cut, but I'm not expecting him to turn water to wine his first season. I am hoping for at least two non conference wins and one win against an ACC foe. That will be an improvement and the mark to many fans not only is there really hope, but a sign the program is on the right track. Sure I'd love to see 5 or even 6 wins, but I'll be satisfied with afew wins and a noticable improvement in all areas. Duke has been in close games over the last two seasons and couldn't get it done most of the time, I hope a winning mentality is rewarded with actual wins on the field.

To Coach Cut I say thanks for taking the job and instilling Cut Throat Ball. To the players I say keep busting your butts, grow as a team and good things will happen. There are still pleanty of Duke Football fans out there, and we're anxious to get behind you will all our support.

^ Very well said. Especially for 1 am.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post

sagegrouse
    Yes, the numbers were incorrectly tallied; however, both former Dukies still received a majority of the votes needed to stay on the board at Yahoo.

As an overall coach, there is no comparison: Butch >>>> Cut
    As a Quarterbacks coach: Cut >>>> Butch
    As a recruiter Cut is just a little notch below Butch because of those insane classes of Portis, McGahee, Gore, Johnson, Winslow, Shockey, McKinnie, Dorsey, Taylor, Buchanon, Reed, Rumph, Vilma, etc.
    Many people in the know belive if Coach Cut was still at Tennessee, Terrelle Pryor would have been a Vol instead of a buckeye.
    Even though many Duke fans may not want to hear this, North Carolina is a sleeping giant, their only variable is time. I am hopeful Duke and North Carolina can get a good rivalry going in football, which would be good for both schools obviously.

Smile You are correct!

Quote Originally Posted by Inonehand View Post
    Yes, the numbers were incorrectly tallied; however, both former Dukies still received a majority of the votes needed to stay on the board at Yahoo.
    I neglected to mention the outcome in my rush to indulge in nostalgia about a winning football team (the ACC football champion three years in a row).

sagegrouse

Quote Originally Posted by Latta6970 View Post
    I guess in a way, just seeing a thread on football on the DBR boards signifies hope. And I will be the first to say since being hired Coach Cut has said all the right things and done things that will improve the program if not immediately then over time. That being said I have to caution fans to have a wait and see yet positive attitude.

I remember Coach A taking over and getting Coach B's senior players then winning more games the next year and even making a bowl apperance. People jumped on the Coach B bandwagon only to have their hopes dashed over the next few seasons. Those were years when the previous coach had done a really good job in recruiting, particularly in a single year. While I don't think Duke is devoid of talent by any means, by position they are behind most teams in Division 1.

I love seeing us getting recruits in key positions, but as stated in one of the previews you can have great quarterbacks and running backs. But if you have a less than stellar offensive line giving the QB time to throw and making holes for the backs to run progress will be extremely slow. Quick slants and even trick plays designed by Cut should make a difference and keep oposing defenses on their toes. But by God, if the Duke offense can't move the ball, the defense will be playing 75% of the game like they did last year. We have a good defense, one of the most underappreciated in quite a while, but they wore down in games all year having to play so much of he game.

Special teams MUST be addressed and I don't care if they have to get the chick who sued Duke for cutting her from the football team to kick, if she can boot it, suit her up. Hopefully recuiting will play a major role in that department. I don't mean to sound sarcastic, but where other than Duke is a kicker traditionally going to get more opportunities to play?

Millionaire Butch Davis didn't turn the heels around in one season. We may have his equal or and even superior coach in Coach Cut, but I'm not expecting him to turn water to wine his first season. I am hoping for at least two non conference wins and one win against an ACC foe. That will be an improvement and the mark to many fans not only is there really hope, but a sign the program is on the right track. Sure I'd love to see 5 or even 6 wins, but I'll be satisfied with afew wins and a noticable improvement in all areas. Duke has been in close games over the last two seasons and couldn't get it done most of the time, I hope a winning mentality is rewarded with actual wins on the field.

To Coach Cut I say thanks for taking the job and instilling Cut Throat Ball. To the players I say keep busting your butts, grow as a team and good things will happen. There are still pleanty of Duke Football fans out there, and we're anxious to get behind you will all our support.
    Latta, I respect your cautious optimism, but hope the players aren't as cautious!

Certainly all you describe about the past is accurate regarding disappointing, and yes, embarrassing seasons despite coaching changes and modest improvements in recruiting. I see this season as different than any in memory. We have a coach and staff who know what success requires of them and the players. What really distinguishes this season from past attempts to succeed is that suitable resources are finally becoming available at the same time that we have a solid coaching staff. I believe that the quality of coaching staff and improved resources will get better results than our attempts in the past. I'm not holding back on my support or enthusiasm for the coaches and the team!

Does anyone know of any upgrades like seating/locker rooms/etc. It would be nice to see Duke build a colliseum of sorts. That would help recruiting a lot. And maybe get Nike to design some awesome uni's like Oregon has, because a recruit who chose Oregon over Florida State said the reason he picked Oregon was because of the unis.

Count Me In

Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post
    Latta, I respect your cautious optimism, but hope the players aren't as cautious!

Certainly all you describe about the past is accurate regarding disappointing, and yes, embarrassing seasons despite coaching changes and modest improvements in recruiting. I see this season as different than any in memory. We have a coach and staff who know what success requires of them and the players. What really distinguishes this season from past attempts to succeed is that suitable resources are finally becoming available at the same time that we have a solid coaching staff. I believe that the quality of coaching staff and improved resources will get better results than our attempts in the past. I'm not holding back on my support or enthusiasm for the coaches and the team!
    DIBD, count me in as excited and optimistic. Believe me I haven't been this pumped about Duke football in a LONG time. The thing is I'm not so much optimistic about this upcoming season even though I am looking for improvement and expect as much. I think Cut's new prospective, training and schemes will show benefits on the field even as early as this coming season. Like I said this team is certainly not devoid of tallent and experience. As stated in my last post I think our defense in particular is VERY under rated. Combine that with inovations and development by Cut and the team should be much improved this season.

But DIBD, I have to say I am even more hopeful and optimstic beyond this upcoming season. I'm sure you remember Wilson and Goldsmith having success their first years. I don't see Cut as a one hit wonder and I think he is doing all the right things to rebuild a foundation that hasn't truly existed in my lifetime. Since Cut was hired I've almost gotten the feeling like Duke was awarded a new franchise, kind of like when the Carolina Panthers were announced. My dad was at THE Rose Bowl, I know Duke has a football history I LOVE seeing someone come in that wants to build the program up in all areas. I see good (if not great) players wanting to play for the guy, I see him standing up for the program not just around the conference but on the Duke campus. I see him making hires under him that will help each player become the best football player they can become. You and I are TOTALLY on the same page DIBD. I usually make it a point to see at least one Duke football game a year. This year I plan to see every home game and even an away game or two. I hope others reading DBR feel the same excitement and plan to do the same.

This is about how I estimate Duke's fans will react to football success next year:

0 wins - somewhat disappointed
    1 win - eh, ok
    2 wins - pretty solid
    3 wins - great season!
    4 wins - Amazing! Coach Cut is a genius!
    5 wins - This is better than I ever would have dreamed!
    6 wins - 20 ft solid gold statue of Coach Cutcliffe erected on the main quad

at any rate I think more students will actually go to the football game after tailgate, rather than just going back home.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee&DukeFan414 View Post
    Does anyone know of any upgrades like seating/locker rooms/etc. It would be nice to see Duke build a colliseum of sorts. That would help recruiting a lot. And maybe get Nike to design some awesome uni's like Oregon has, because a recruit who chose Oregon over Florida State said the reason he picked Oregon was because of the unis.
    I'd like to see several improvements over the next decade to Wallace Wade, for the fans, Duke team and even the visting locker room. One thing I would like to see at the risk of being televised even less is a few night games. Most everyone remembers how high school night games seemed to add to the electricity in the air. And the few night games I have been to at Duke had that spark as well. Especially in August and early September a night game is a welcome change from heat stroke and sun burn. (Well I don't actually burn since I'm part Cherokee, but you get the point.) I don't know how it would affect turn out possitive or negative, especially people bringing their families. But I for one would like to see a couple games after dark in the next few years.

PS1: Someone needs to go around and make sure half the bulbs still work since they haven't been used in so long.

PS2: If a recruit actually picked one school over another due to liking their uniforms, thathas to be one of the craziest reasons for choosing a school I have ever heard of.

Wherever the wind blows and the leaves dance.
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronCrazy'11 View Post
    This is about how I estimate Duke's fans will react to football success next year:

0 wins - somewhat disappointed
    1 win - eh, ok
    2 wins - pretty solid
    3 wins - great season!
    4 wins - Amazing! Coach Cut is a genius!
    5 wins - This is better than I ever would have dreamed!
    6 wins - 20 ft solid gold statue of Coach Cutcliffe erected on the main quad
    Remember that last year Roof was talking bowl game for this season. Duke has 17 players back (tied with UNC for most in the ACC). So I would bump your expectations up 2 spots (3 wins = eh, ok). Or you could use your estimates straight up for the ACC.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/acc

Heather Dinnich is the ACC blogger at ESPN.com and has been giving some great daily coverage of the league over the past few weeks. She has several entries on Duke today that are good, quick reads. The kicking and ground games are certainly question marks, but, attitude and dedication appear to be on track.

Quote Originally Posted by rockymtn devil View Post
    http://myespn.go.com/blogs/acc

Heather Dinnich is the ACC blogger at ESPN.com and has been giving some great daily coverage of the league over the past few weeks. She has several entries on Duke today that are good, quick reads. The kicking and ground games are certainly question marks, but, attitude and dedication appear to be on track.
    Heather Dinich is, IMO, one of the best writers at ESPN. She covers Duke quite favorably, both football and basketball. She writes with facts and not hate. I enjoy her blog and coverage about all of the ACC. I suggest going to her blog and sending her a complimentary note. She is the type of columnist and reporter we at DBR should support.

Quote Originally Posted by PumpkinFunk View Post
    Add those to first 3 games, and honestly, we could start off on a 5-0 run (4-0 is my best guess, but if we somehow pull of the GT upset and then a Miami upset... Vandy is certainly weaker than Miami, and Wake, well... they're Wake)
    Everyone else is up in arms about ASU being disrespected, but this is absurd, c'mon PumpkinFunk. Wake Forest has gone 11-3 and 9-4 the last two years. The won the freaking conference in 2006. We haven't beaten them since 1999.

Phil Steele, whose opinion I value very much, has us 5th in the division over UVA. He's got Wake T3 in the Atlantic with a recovering Maryland and above State and BC. AND the game is in Winston.

Could we win? Possibly. But we're in no position to condescend towards Wake Forest football.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I'm so looking forward to Wade being filled with blue. Even though this year is the first year I've bought season tickets for, I've been to every home game in the past that I could make it to, even if I had to drive the 3 or 4 hours from where I was living.
    It's depressing to see the stadium filled with more opposing fans than our own, but I think those days are a thing of the past now. The players have always seemed to give the best of efforts, unfortunately we had some inane coaching. (Good people, but lousy decision makers). It's tough to go down to the tunnel and offer your thanks to a dejected team, especially after so many close games coming up empty. (The Miami loss stands out as a fine example).
    This year will be a good year, and exciting to see unfold. Can you imagine how packed Wade will be for UNC if we have some wins under our belt!?

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    Everyone else is up in arms about ASU being disrespected, but this is absurd, c'mon PumpkinFunk. Wake Forest has gone 11-3 and 9-4 the last two years. The won the freaking conference in 2006. We haven't beaten them since 1999.

Phil Steele, whose opinion I value very much, has us 5th in the division over UVA. He's got Wake T3 in the Atlantic with a recovering Maryland and above State and BC. AND the game is in Winston.

Could we win? Possibly. But we're in no position to condescend towards Wake Forest football.
    Sorry for not making it clear. We have played Wake close, despite them being 11-3 and 9-4 the past two years. So it's a toss-up game. Based on the past few years, we'll be closer than people expect, yet again. I was not trying to condescend, but Wake and Miami are both teams which are supposed to be far better than us, who we play far closer than anyone can expect.