Home remedies for anemia?

I'm pretty sure my 94-year-old father has had anemia for several weeks, though we won't be able to get a doctor to read the blood test results until sometime next week. I can't get him to take a multivitamin with iron. Anybody know of any home remedies that can alleviate the condition somewhat?

Okay, I admit, this might be disgusting to some.... But I grew up eating "raw meat' sandwiches with my Dad. Ground chuck or sirloin, on a bun. With (sometimes) sliced onions. Seasoned with salt & pepper. Yum. (sorry...to vegans out there).

I still steal some raw hamburger meat when fixing burgers, spaghetti suace, etc. -- Can't help myself. Obviously those of us who scarf down a handful of raw meat on occasion have never experienced anemia. Prayers for your Grandpa.

Quote Originally Posted by dukemomLA View Post
    Okay, I admit, this might be disgusting to some.... But I grew up eating "raw meat' sandwiches with my Dad. Ground chuck or sirloin, on a bun. With (sometimes) sliced onions. Seasoned with salt & pepper. Yum. (sorry...to vegans out there).

I still steal some raw hamburger meat when fixing burgers, spaghetti suace, etc. -- Can't help myself. Obviously those of us who scarf down a handful of raw meat on occasion have never experienced anemia. Prayers for your Grandpa.
    My respect for you sky rockets with every post. You know everyone, you have multiple axes, and you eat raw meat. I have this great picture of you in my head, cooking spaghetti for a big dinner party and sneaking away every once in a while to scarf some raw meat: "hey everyone, I need to go check the sauce" meanwhile you sneak into the kitchen and cram a handful of raw burger into you mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by dkbaseball View Post
    I'm pretty sure my 94-year-old father has had anemia for several weeks, though we won't be able to get a doctor to read the blood test results until sometime next week. I can't get him to take a multivitamin with iron. Anybody know of any home remedies that can alleviate the condition somewhat?
    Okay, back on topic. dk, have you considered diet changes? Here's a list of iron rich foods: http://www.bloodbook.com/iron-foods...ch%20in%20Iron

I'm no expert, just googled around. Good luck dk.

There's no need to eat the meat raw in order to get the benefits of the iron. I have to laugh.

Eating meat (even COOKED) provides iron.

If you have an iron skillet, use it. That actually adds iron to the food cooked in it.

I agree with DukePA

Iron skillets & pans rock! (...also great for camping). Skillets can be used to sear & cook meat, seafood, poultry. Also, with a little water can steam or saute veges such as broccoli, green beans, spinach.

Also clams & oysters are a great source of iron. (...my favorite foods, so I couldn't exclude them). Steamed mussels (also in an iron pot) fits the bill.

Baked potatoes have iron, but some elderly folk avoid the skins. A no-no. So for my elderly Dad I would make twice-baked. The added cheese, butter, sour cream added some zest, and when done I would cut/mash them (with the skins) for a yummy treat that he could chew -- and provide lots of iron.

Liver (...ugh) is a great source of iron, but a lot of older folk can't chew it. BUT liver pate is an alternative to consider.

Blessings and prayers to you. I've been there/done that just a couple of years ago.

Spinach is very high in iron too. A have a great recipe from my Russian pal which is as follows:

Cut up 3 strips of bacon into little bite-sized pieces. Fry lightly. Add cut-up white onions. Fry some more. Add a bag of fresh spinach leaves, salt and pepper. Cook them just enough to wilt the leaves and voila!

The bacon grease obviates any low-fat benefit, but since you don't care about that in this particular situation, it's a fabulous dish. Good luck!