View Poll Results: Do you abide by the 5 second rule?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes...If i can grab it fast enough its mine!

23 76.67%
  • No...If it hits the floor for 1 second it done for!

3 10.00%
  • I don't care how long its been on the floor!

4 13.33%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Do you abide by the 5 second rule?

You know, the rule that says that if food hits the floor and you pick it up before 5 seconds then it is still safe to eat.

...the true pioneer of five-second research was Jillian Clarke, a high-school intern at the University of Illinois in 2003. Ms. Clarke conducted a survey and found that slightly more than half of the men and 70 percent of the women knew of the five-second rule, and many said they followed it.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/09/dining/09curi.html
    So I wondered how many DBF posters actually do.

For those who answer yes this many make you feel good.

Good news for sloppy chowhounds - that food you dropped on the floor is still safe to eat 30 seconds later.

Working under the supervision of assistant professor Anne Bernhard, the two cell-and-molecular biology students experimented with samples of wet food (apple slices) and dry food (Skittles candy); food samples were left on the floor for various intervals, then analyzed for contamination, the college said.

According to Goettsche and Moin, the results of their research showed that people can wait as long as 30 seconds to pick up wet foods and even longer for dry foods.
    http://www.boston.com/business/ticke...d_dropped.html

Oh, good, I feel vindicated as a parent for allowing my baby to consume "floor snacks", otherwise known as Cheerios that have sat on the kitchen floor for God knows how long. My theory is that the germs make him tougher.

To me, it all depends on how wet / moist it is. For instance, drop a pretzel on the floor? A Jawbreaker? A cracker? I’ll eat it ten seconds later or more. But if I drop a cut of wet meat on the floor, or say the peanut butter side of my peanut butter toast, or perhaps a ravioli, I probably won’t eat any of it even if it’s only been on my hairy, dust-filled floor for .000000000000000001 seconds.

But overall I would have to say I adhere to the Five Seconds rule.

-EarlJam

Smile Food Network & Mythbusters

Food Network has a new show about the science of food. It's called Food Detectives, and is hosted by Ted Allen (formerly of Bravo's Queer Eye). The adverts for the show have him investigating the 5-second rule. They're also investigating double-dipping.

Hmm... do you remember the episode of Mythbusters that dealt with the 5-second rule? Myth busted!

Cheers,
    Lavabe

Quote Originally Posted by EarlJam View Post
    ...But if I drop a cut of wet meat on the floor,...
    -EarlJam
    Something is not quite right about this statement...

I'm with EarlJam on this one, it all depends on what you've dropped on the floor. I can apply the five second rule to dry goods, and sometimes it applies to uncooked foods that can be rinsed and "cleaned up" without ruining the flavor. If I were eating a nice, juicy steak that found it's way to the floor, I'm afraid I wouldn't eat it.

I'm with the majority here. It has to do with the moisture level. If it's dry food on a dry floor - I'd definitely pick it up, brush it off, and eat. The more moisture on the food or floor - the less likely I'll be.

I'm glad most folks here feel the same. Because I have to admit that yesterday while we were running late for church (boy can it be difficult to be on time with a 12 week old) I was making my wife an english muffin. You can see this coming... I dropped it. Looked up to see if she saw what happened. She didn't. I picked it up, wiped it off a bit, put some PB on it and brought it over to her.

Exclamation Scary Mythbusters results

Quote Originally Posted by 2535Miles View Post
    I'm with EarlJam on this one, it all depends on what you've dropped on the floor. I can apply the five second rule to dry goods, and sometimes it applies to uncooked foods that can be rinsed and "cleaned up" without ruining the flavor. If I were eating a nice, juicy steak that found it's way to the floor, I'm afraid I wouldn't eat it.
    In that same episode of Mythbusters:
    1) The five-second rule was busted.
    2) The toilet seat is the cleanest surface in the house.
    3) A dog's mouth may be cleaner than a human's.

They did NOT, however, test EarlJam's wet meat on the floor.

Cheers,
    Lavabe

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    ...They did NOT, however, test EarlJam's wet meat on the floor.
    Cheers,
    Lavabe
    Definitely something wrong with the quote above!

Earljam's "wet" meat... I think I'm gonna' hurl!

For me the issue is not "what was dropped" but rather "where was it dropped." I voted no, but I confess there have been some kitchen floors that were so clean I felt the rule was ok (definately not my kitchen floor, however).

Wait, is this the one where if you don't inbound the ball or call timeout in time, it goes to the other team?

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    Wait, is this the one where if you don't inbound the ball or call timeout in time, it goes to the other team?
    No..that post would be on the Main Board.

Gotta go with it depends on what was dropped and who's floor it was dropped on, and to some degree, if I know who has been walking on it recently and where have their shoes been?

Above several folks state the the 5 second rule was "myth busted". What's that mean? That it is safe to eat food dropped, or not safe to eat dropped food?

My daughter, a pre-kindergarten teacher, has a zero tolerance for dropped food on the floor. I think that is state mandated or something.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

My addendum to the 5-second rule is that the drier the food item is the better your chances and more likely I'd adhere to the rule.
    Toast (without butter) 5 second rule applies.
    A plate of spaghetti, the rule does not.
    A french fry, minue ketchup, the five second rule applies.
    A fry with ketchup, the rule is overruled.

I saw the episode of Mythbusters regarding this, I thought it was great despite the fact they totally busted it. lol

Quote Originally Posted by knights68 View Post
    My addendum to the 5-second rule is that the drier the food item is the better your chances and more likely I'd adhere to the rule.
    Toast (without butter) 5 second rule applies.
    A plate of spaghetti, the rule does not.
    A french fry, minue ketchup, the five second rule applies.
    A fry with ketchup, the rule is overruled.

I saw the episode of Mythbusters regarding this, I thought it was great despite the fact they totally busted it. lol
    "A plate of spaghetti..."

That's funny as Hell!

Can you imagine dropping a full plate of spaghetti on the floor then scooping it all back up on the plate in five seconds or less.....in front of your in-laws?

"Hey! Five second rule!"

-EJ

Quote Originally Posted by EarlJam View Post
    "A plate of spaghetti..."

That's funny as Hell!

Can you imagine dropping a full plate of spaghetti on the floor then scooping it all back up on the plate in five seconds or less.....in front of your in-laws?

"Hey! Five second rule!"

-EJ
    It seems like spaghetti would attract rug hairs, lint, and dust... Especially because you would have to 'roll' it back on the plate - picking up even more hair. I can eat anything off the ground if it doesn't gather hairs of any kind. Thats my rule...

As far as dropping a wet cut of meat? If your talking about deli meat, I understand that... but if your talking about dropping an uncooked filet... you can just rinse and cook... killing germs...

I suppose this might be the only thread where I can relate one of my beloved grandmother's favorite stories: She was at a dinner party where they were about to serve a roast duck.

Somehow, not resigned to its fate, the duck got away from the host and landed in the lap of a guest. The host asked, without missing a beat, "Madame, might I trouble you for that duck?" A merry (duck) dinner ensued.

She never suggested the duck suffered (beyond being dinner, of course) for its travels, five second rule or no.

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverBlowingBubbles View Post
    It seems like spaghetti would attract rug hairs, lint, and dust... Especially because you would have to 'roll' it back on the plate - picking up even more hair. I can eat anything off the ground if it doesn't gather hairs of any kind. Thats my rule...

As far as dropping a wet cut of meat? If your talking about deli meat, I understand that... but if your talking about dropping an uncooked filet... you can just rinse and cook... killing germs...
    This brings up an interesting thought to me, EarlJam.

At what heating point do ALL harmful germs, bacteria, froongles "die?" In short, no matter what your meat falls in, if you cook it to a certain degree, or in a certain way, are you safe????

-EJ

I lived in a frat house for nigh on four years, so I live by the 5-minute (minimum) rule. I laugh in the face of your silly germs.

I abide by the five second rule selectively. I apply it primarily to chocolate, cookies and other sweets.

I don't believe it, but I use it.