Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 33

Thread: Taylor King

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    California

    Taylor King

    geez, I forgot king transfered to villanova.

    How much is duke going to miss his outside shooting?

    Duke's best 3 point shooters are paulus, scheyer, kyle "shane battier" singler, and smith, in that order.
    henderson and pocious are inconsistant and not their strenghts
    williams, plumlee, and czyz are unproven.
    mcclure, thomas, and zoubek better not take a 3 point shot.
    Last edited by speedevil; 07-17-2008 at 11:13 PM. Reason: how can i forget about singler

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by speedevil View Post
    geez, I forgot king transfered to villanova.

    How much is duke going to miss is outside shooting?

    Duke's best 3 point shooters are paulus, scheyer, and smith in that order.
    henderson and pocious are inconsistant and not their strenghts
    williams, plumlee, and czyz are unproven.
    mcclure, thomas, and zoubek better not take a 3 point shot.
    Paulus was and still is their best outside shooter and don't forget a guy by the name of Kyle Singler.

  3. #3
    King played little to no minutes at the end of the season and when he did he missed most or all of his shots. With Singler not guarding the 5 all season long he should be more effective later in the season. unlike last year when he was beat up and went into a shooting slump.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Cabbagetown, Atlanta, GA
    Quote Originally Posted by speedevil View Post
    How much is duke going to miss his outside shooting?
    About as much as we missed it this past season.

    We did this thread two months ago, pretty much.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Texas/NC
    Quote Originally Posted by speedevil View Post
    geez, I forgot king transfered to villanova.

    How much is duke going to miss his outside shooting?

    Duke's best 3 point shooters are paulus, scheyer, kyle "shane battier" singler, and smith, in that order.
    henderson and pocious are inconsistant and not their strenghts
    williams, plumlee, and czyz are unproven.
    mcclure, thomas, and zoubek better not take a 3 point shot.
    Dude, Greg Paulus has his flaws, but he has been the best three point shooter in the ACC over the course of the last two years. Scheyer and Smith's percentages are pretty good and Singler hit quite a few clutch ones throughout last year... this is not something to be too worried about. Most teams wish they could have our outside shooting...

  6. #6
    This is an easy one: NADA.

    I watched TK at Mater Dei HS out here in California. Unfortunately, he never appeared to grasp the necessity of developing a full court set of skills. As a prep player, he would shoot from 18 feet, until they defensed him. Then he shot from 20 feet, until they came out and guarded him. Then he shot from 22 feet, over shorter defenders. I talked a lot to my "agents in SoCal" and we agreed in the opinion that NCAA hoops at D1 level might be a quantum leap for him.

    It'll be interesting to see what he does with the rest of his career at Villanova. His minutes this year at Duke might have been pretty negligible. Too bad things didn't work out here, best of luck to TK !

  7. #7
    King had potential and might have been a great player for us someday. Unfortunately his offense consisted entirely of hoisting up the ball as soon as he touched it. And his defense was sloooooooooooooooooooooow.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Norfolk, VA
    I have a less critical view of the situation with Taylor King: he was a mismatch at Duke. He needs to play the "3" but every time he was on the court last season it was at the "4" or "5." TK's skills and Duke's needs were not aligned. As evidence I offer up Jumbo's excellent game charting statistics:

    http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/...ead.php?t=4862

    I wish Taylor King the best of luck at Villanova.
    Bob Green
    DBR Survivor Football Champion
    2010 & 2016

  9. #9

    Bad body

    King will be a great corporate rec league player some day unless he works on that body of his. If he wakes up and sees that he can be a player if he gets into shape, Villanova will be happy to have him. Duke will not miss him.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    If Tyler is going to be successful he needs to work on his speed and defense. From some of the pictures and videos I say of him in high school he was slimmer, which allowed him to move better. At Duke, he was too slow to play defense on other 3's and he didn't have the strength to play the 4. He had to shot quick so the defense couldn't get to him and he was too slow to get into the right spot, thus he got to the spot late which forced him to shot a quick, poor shot.

    Just like Josh. He was not made for the 4 or 5. Even though he was tall and fit the height for a PF he showed early on he really didn't like body contact. That hasn't changed for him and he will struggle in the Pros because of that. I put Shav in the same group as Josh.

    Gotta want to play defense and speed really helps.

  11. #11
    who is taylor king?

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    We did this thread two months ago, pretty much.
    And we'll do it again 2 months from now. It's a message board; repetition is a given.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Winston Salem, NC

    Taylor who

    In Taylor's mind he was a great player and even better shooter. Stats don't come close to backing him up.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Cabbagetown, Atlanta, GA

    Wink

    Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    And we'll do it again 2 months from now. It's a message board; repetition is a given.
    It's one thing to repeat threads like "Favorite Duke Moment", "Most Underrated Player", "Dream Lineup", etc... those will always be repeated. The Taylor King thread really only needs to be done once. Maybe if a real impact player, like Singler, had transfered, it would be worth mulling over, but I am suprised to see Taylor King brought up again, especially given how the last thread on King was like a Duke Hoops watershed for most of the board. If we repeat this thread again two months from now in September, I hope that a mod quickly closes it.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    If we repeat this thread again two months from now in September, I hope that a mod quickly closes it.
    Hi,

    A new season will bring many new members. Why shouldn't they get the opportunity to discuss this, and other repeated subjects, if they choose? After all, nobody here is being forced to discuss any of these matters more times than they desire.

    Best regards,
    Jeffrey

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Atlanta, GA (Buckhead)
    Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    It's one thing to repeat threads like "Favorite Duke Moment", "Most Underrated Player", "Dream Lineup", etc... those will always be repeated. The Taylor King thread really only needs to be done once. Maybe if a real impact player, like Singler, had transfered, it would be worth mulling over, but I am suprised to see Taylor King brought up again, especially given how the last thread on King was like a Duke Hoops watershed for most of the board. If we repeat this thread again two months from now in September, I hope that a mod quickly closes it.
    My question is: Will this be the season we FINALLY get over Osh Kosh Josh McRoberts leaving Duke?

    Please. No more threads about.............him.

    -EarlJam

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Atlanta, GA (Buckhead)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    Hi,

    A new season will bring many new members. Why shouldn't they get the opportunity to discuss this, and other repeated subjects, if they choose? After all, nobody here is being forced to discuss any of these matters more times than they desire.

    Best regards,
    Jeffrey
    I agree with 99.9 percent of this thought. The barely visible, micro .1 percent of disagreement involves threads discussing the benefits/downsides of some tall guy that played at Duke and donned the jersey number that best described his leadership and team-embracement abilities.

    -EarlJam

  18. #18
    Honest opinion/analysis needed...

    When JJ came in as a freshman, what was really the difference between him & King that garnered JJ having more playing time? He played closed to 30 minutes and his defense was a work in progress, but Coach K trusted him to be on the floor in crunch time.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Durham
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueintheFace View Post
    Dude, Greg Paulus has his flaws, but he has been the best three point shooter in the ACC over the course of the last two years. Scheyer and Smith's percentages are pretty good and Singler hit quite a few clutch ones throughout last year... this is not something to be too worried about. Most teams wish they could have our outside shooting...
    I agree with this. While I have some points of contention with Paulus, his 3 point shooting isn't one of them; he's a superb shooter. Scheyer and Singler are good 3-point shooters, Smith is servicable and Henderson is streaky but only going to get better.

    Duke has no need to be worried about its outside shooting.

  20. #20
    In addition to this, Williams is supposed to be a good shooter, and Olek can hit the three as well. Pretty sure Miles has some outside game as well. Really, the only people who can't shoot the three are Lance, Zoubek, and McClure.

Similar Threads

  1. Taylor King to transfer
    By roywhite in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 457
    Last Post: 04-17-2008, 04:58 PM
  2. Taylor King
    By Bluedawg in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 168
    Last Post: 03-02-2008, 10:06 PM
  3. Taylor King shrinking?
    By Lord Ash in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 10-15-2007, 06:53 AM
  4. taylor king question
    By Channing in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 03-20-2007, 11:11 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •