Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Digital Cameras

Digital Cameras

Up until now my family's been using a fairly old 3MP Fuji model digital camera. It recently broke and I was looking into buying a new one. I've heard and read that Canon is among the most reliable and I prefer a camera with a little heft rather than the really compact models that are out now, but I'd also like to be able to carry it in my pocket or in my wife's pocketbook. I really just want an easy to use, reliable camera that I can use to take quality photos of my family and some limited sightseeing.

I was looking at the Canon PowerShot A720 IS with 8 megapixels, 6X optical zoom, and 4X digital zoom. I think I found a good price ($160) since I was planning to keep this purchase under $225. I'm pretty sure the MP is sufficient, but was curious what others thought about the zoom. Any need to spend more money to get more zoom? Any other thoughts are appreciated regarding this and other digital cameras.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Here's some good reading from earlier this year to get you started: http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/...ead.php?t=6513

I still really like my blue Panasonic TZ1, which is a 5MP, 10x optical zoom (with the 4x digital zoom, it gets you a total of 40x). It's old enough now (I've had about a year and a half) that the TZ3 is a 7MP, 10x optical zoom, and a quick Google search shows it can be had easily for under $200.

It fits nicely in my pocket or purse, it takes great pictures with good image stabilization, and has enough settings to do some nice manual overrides of settings (if I only knew what to do with them!). With standard settings, it takes great action pictures in Cameron, and also takes great pictures of high school marching bands at night under the lights on the football field. I've got more comments on the other thread, too.

If you want zoom, discount the digital zoom (you can sometimes get a better picture if you crop a high res picture down than use the digital zoom to zoom in to the same picture). If you take lots of zoom pictures, I'd really recommend looking at the Panasonic Lumix TZ series.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Up until now my family's been using a fairly old 3MP Fuji model digital camera. It recently broke and I was looking into buying a new one. I've heard and read that Canon is among the most reliable and I prefer a camera with a little heft rather than the really compact models that are out now, but I'd also like to be able to carry it in my pocket or in my wife's pocketbook. I really just want an easy to use, reliable camera that I can use to take quality photos of my family and some limited sightseeing.

I was looking at the Canon PowerShot A720 IS with 8 megapixels, 6X optical zoom, and 4X digital zoom. I think I found a good price ($160) since I was planning to keep this purchase under $225. I'm pretty sure the MP is sufficient, but was curious what others thought about the zoom. Any need to spend more money to get more zoom? Any other thoughts are appreciated regarding this and other digital cameras.
    Hi Rich, I'm a big fan of Canon for their user interface and ease of use. I think it's right up your alley for general, day-to-day use. I've got some shots taken with an older generation PowerShot A400 (I think). If you're interested in seeing some shots let me know.

P.S. I'd recommend ignoring digital zoom if you're going to compare models. You should be primarily interested in megapixels and optical zoom.

Waterloo, Ontario (unfortunately, no longer in London England).

Please keep in mind that I am far from an expert when it comes to photography but I recently bought a Canon digital camera so I've had to make the same decision as you.

When I walked into the camera store (I went to a camera store as opposed to an all-in-one electronics store like Best Buy) I planned to buy the very camera that you are thinking of getting (A720 IS). When I spoke to the guy behind the counter I explained that I needed the camera for two purposes A) research - I take photos of documents in the archives and B) to take photos while on holiday. I asked if the A720 was the best one for my purposes and he explained that no, actually, the Canon A590 IS was better for my purposes.

Now, I am not sure of the exact details (remember, I am far from an expert) but I remember him saying that the A590 had some sort of motion sensor type feature that, in addition to the image stabilizer, made it the perfect camera for my purposes. And it was $20 cheaper than the A720 (I really respected the guy being knowledgeable and not trying to make any extra cash, even $20, by selling me a camera that wasn't right for my purposes).

Now, while you won't need the camera for research purposes, you will need it for holiday photos, etc. I have to say that I am extremely happy with the performance of this camera right now. I am a fairly typical holiday photographer - I take photos of whatever I find interesting without playing around too much with the settings because, quite frankly, they are beyond me. Even on the most basic settings, however, this camera has performed very very well so I would highly recommend it - especially if you are knowledgeable enough to maximize its potential by playing around with the settings.

Here are the details on the camera:

Canon Powershot A 590 IS
    8.0 megapixels
    4X optical zoom (while this might not seem like much the guy in the store said that it is all I would ever need and he was right...it has worked great and there was no need to spend extra money just to get a 6X or 8X zoom).

Sorry for the rambling response but I just woke up. Hope this helps.

ETA: If you want to see some photos taken with this camera (especially some taken without the zoom and then of the same shot with the zoom) pm me and give me your email address and I'll email some shots to you.

Okay, quick question about all these cameras. I have an old HP Photosmart 850, HP's first foray into the prosumer market (between consumer and professional). I LOVE it. It's 4.1MP, which is more than enough for 90% of uses, has a STRONG Macro setting, and an 8x optical zoom (56x overall, but I agree that digital is useless). It uses an LCD screen in the viewfinder too, so you're seeing what the lens sees with no offset, which is nice for macro shots. It also has a weird red light it shoots out when it focuses and measures light which is actually really nice because it allows the camera to focus and make light settings down to 0 lux. Most importantly, it has a HUGE, high-quality Fujinon lens (most HPs use Pentax, but this one uses a special lens), half the camera is lens. When I print pictures of the kids with it on my HP photosmart printer, most people think I had prints made at a store. Some of my shots of the kids where I put them in front of a backdrop sheet people think I had done in a studio professionally, even up to 8x10. It uses AA, rechargeable batteries, so that's pretty easy. It takes really good video for when it was made, but it's a little outdated for video now (I use my Panasonic Hi-Def camcorder for movies).

You can see a picture of it here: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/hp850/

Anyway, none of that is the point. Stupid tangents. Always confusing me.

The point is, the one thing I DON'T like about the camera is that it has a very short (0.2 second), but very annoying when taking action shots of the kids, shutter delay. Have consumer digital cameras managed to get rid of that yet, or do I still have to go SLR to avoid that? If so, which ones avoid that? Thanks.
    Last edited by bjornolf; 07-15-2008 at 08:19 AM. Reason: accuracy

bought one

I did buy the 720 for my parents and took it to Europe to "test it out." I love the size. It's perfect for traveling. However, and I haven't really sat down and fiddled with it, I was not pleased with some of my pictures. If the subject is still, you can get some great shots. If there is any movement, not so good. Some of my problems may have been the fact that it was windy and I was moving. But after the pics of my nieces getting their high school diplomas came out blurs, I was wishing for my old 35mm. I understand this image stabilization is supposed to help eliminate this problem, but I think that unless you're going to sink a huge chunk of money into a professional digital camera, this will often be an issue. I also don't like the limitations with the flash. Sometimes, you get a better picture in darker conditions by turning the flash off and letting the camera work it out. My Olympus does a better job of this than the Canon 720. I took indoor pics at Graceland with my "old" Olympus (no flash allowed) and got great shots.

For my parents' needs, it's a perfect camera. My mom has actually gotten the hang of it pretty quickly. And I did get some great tulip shots.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Stay away from the Sony Cybershots. They are very fragile. I bought one for my daughter four years ago and it broke when jostled. She and her new husband bought another one recently, and it too broke within a couple of weeks. No, she isn't overly rough with the cameras. Fortunately, she bought it at Wal-Mart and took it back and got a Fuji for about $125. So far, they are very happy with it (and each other!)

As always, I highly recommend purchasing cameras (and other technology items) from Sam's Club or Costco, not only because of lower prices, but because of their liberal, long, no questions asked, no cost return policies.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Canon SD series, there's really not much of a choice in my opinion, if you're willing to spend the cash (and they're not even that expensive). They're the 800 lb gorilla of non-SLR digital cameras, and for good reason. I know people that are very happy with the "A" series, but having used both, there's little comparison. The fact that they're the size of a deck of cards is a huge bonus.

I also have a Nikon 10mp SLR, which is fantastic as well, but I grab the Canon 90% of the time.

Shutter-lag has decreased as technology has gotten better, but if you want none, you have to go SLR.

Blurry photos are either a result of unsteady hands or the wrong camera settings. All IS does is allow you to shoot at slightly slower shutter speeds, allowing more light in without a flash. In bright sunlight, it won't be needed.

Point being, if you're getting blurry pictures, it's probably a lighting issue. Small point-and-shoot cameras just don't have fast-enough lenses (read apertures) to get enough light in and still shoot at fast speed indoors when you're not within flash range of the subject. That's the area where SLR's and fast lenses reign supreme.

I would stay away from Panasonic cameras, if only because of their horrid warranties.

If you are really, really serious about getting a good camera, you need to talk to my husband who is a camera fiend. Seriously - he buy cameras from the 1950's and restores them and also talks about "boku" or something that he doesn't like with digitals. I can't keep up. Anyway, PM me and I will get you his 411. (he doesn't sell them, by the way, in case you're thinking this is shameless shilling)

If you want to go smaller with a little less zoom, 4X, Cosco has a real nice deal on a CanonSD850, which unlike most smaller cameras has an optical view finder which can be nice in the glare of the sun and stability in shooting stance.

For $249, it comes with a printer. Also, it has a rechargeable battery which will give you many more shots than the double battery A720, which is a great camera (got one for my wife). You will need to get a bigger memory card with either, but the prices on them have come way down.

Actually, I think that the 720 has been replaced with the 710, which, unlike the former, I think has image stabilization or red eye, in camera adjustment or both. It could be that the 720 has replaced the 710. Got my wife the newer one through Cosco.

I have two Cannon's and have found the picture quality to be excellent (almost pro with 8 mp or better) when in close proximity. I am not impressed with their optical or digital zooms which imo, have a serious blur factor and are not as good as some others. I think Cannon is the best, but overrated.

Fuji (some of you are laughing) offers a lot of bang for the buck and test runs I have had with them makes me wonder why this line goes unnoticed. Their zoom is much better (accurate and less blur) than either Cannon I own. The Fujis are larger which is their downfall.

Remember, many reviewers get serious kick backs from the companies and I have found many of them to be inaccurate on more than just camera's. As crazy as this might sound, stick with public opionions/reviews and be careful for company plants there too.

My latest fun has been getting into SLR's.

Quote Originally Posted by watzone View Post
    I I am not impressed with their optical or digital zooms which imo, have a serious blur factor and are not as good as some others.
    I think this was my problem with the 720. Pics taken with the zoom, where the subject moved even the slightest, were blurry. I was really disappointed in one particular shot I took in Netherlands/Belgium in which I used the zoom. I was thinking I had moved, but now I'm pretty much convinced otherwise. This also explains the blur in the graduation pics. I was at the opposite end of Cameron trying to get them close up as they crossed the stage. Total blur.

FYI, it is Canon as opposed to Cannon (minor quibble).

The SD850 is a fanastic camera; I own one. I also have a 700IS, and an older SD400.

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    I think this was my problem with the 720. Pics taken with the zoom, where the subject moved even the slightest, were blurry. I was really disappointed in one particular shot I took in Netherlands/Belgium in which I used the zoom. I was thinking I had moved, but now I'm pretty much convinced otherwise. This also explains the blur in the graduation pics. I was at the opposite end of Cameron trying to get them close up as they crossed the stage. Total blur.
    Canon has addressed this lately with the release of the A590IS (and a couple of other models). According to one website (liked below):
    Ultimate blur solution
    With new Motion Detection Technology and the optical Image Stabilizer lens, Canon provides a comprehensive and intelligent solution to blur. Activated in High ISO Auto mode, Motion Detection Technology takes information from multiple sources – Face Detection Technology, scene brightness, subject movement and the optical Image Stabilizer (where available) – to assess camera or subject movement. It then calculates the minimum boost in ISO levels (between ISO 80-800) necessary to compensate for that motion. The wide range of inputs and precision of the Motion Detection algorithms ensure that Canon’s system avoids trading reduced blur for an unnecessary increase in image noise.

The lens-shift type optical Image Stabilizer lens found in the Digital IXUS 80 IS and PowerShot A590 IS also contributes to low-noise images. It uses a moveable lens element – rather than a boost in ISO – to counteract the effects of camera-shake, with no accompanying increase in noise. This makes cameras with IS and Motion Detection Technology doubly effective against blur: Motion Detection Technology takes IS into account when calculating ISO levels, thus increasing image quality even further.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0801/08...a580a590is.asp

ETA: I'm not sure how impartial this site is but I found the review linked below to be pretty accurate (at least in my experience). Also, if you follow the drop-down menu on the left you can jump around to the parts of the review that most interest you.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2008_...on_a590is.html

Sounds like a trade-off between the 590's image stabilization and the 720's extra zoom (6X v. 4X optical). That makes my decision much more difficult.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Wink Well...

Sounds like a trade-off between the 590's image stabilization and the 720's extra zoom (6X v. 4X optical). That makes my decision much more difficult.
    I wouldn't think that would be much of a choice to me if you're really down to those two. What good is more zoom if most of your pix are going to come out blurry?
    Last edited by bjornolf; 07-15-2008 at 05:38 PM. Reason: grammar

The motion detection feature really helps with the image stabilization, and that is something not offered on the 720.

You should do what I did - go to a reputable camera store (preferably one at which the employees are not paid by commission) and ask one of their experts. They might say that, for your needs, the zoom is more important. Or they might suggest that the motion detection when combined with the image stabilization is better for your purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by bjornolf View Post
    I wouldn't think that would be much of a choice to me if you're really down to those two. What good is more zoom if most of your pix are going to come out blurry?
    This is a good point. I am not a great photographer and found that, with my old Powershot a lot of my images came out blurry. Some were ridiculously blurry. I lost a lot of great photos because of that. I also spent a lot more time doing (or re-doing) research because many of the images would come out too blurry to read. With the 590, that hasn't been a problem. When taking holiday-type photos I've had 5-6 of the 500-odd photos I've taken come out blurry. And most of them might have been my fault rather than the camera's. When doing research I have had about 10-12 blurry images out of the approximately 10,000 images I've taken over the last few weeks. If blurry photos are an issue for you then this is a no-brainer.

And would the extra zoom really make all that much difference anyway? I've taken some photos in London from quite a distance away and the zoom on the 590 has made the objects seem like they were right in front of me so the zoom on this camera is more than adequate for average users like us.

Also, I far prefer the controls on the back of the 590 to those on the 720 (those on the 590 are easier to manipulate).

And, in case you were wondering, the Canon software is very user friendly and is extremely easy to operate so downloading and manipulating images is a breeze.

I did mean Canon I was thinking of my friends last name. Anyhow, I hope Canon fixed the problem. I was very disappointed when I purchased one of their top rated cameres according to CNNet. On a ten scale, I'd rate the camera a 5. I would rate the zoom a 1. It's that bad. I honestly feel like canon is nothing more than a name, expecially with point and shoot models. Their SLR's are very nice and obviously, their cup of tea, but I would not buy a point and shoot canon again. FWIW, I take hundreds of photos weekly and I have tried every possible setting to eliminate the short comings. In all honesty, I have sehlved a 300.00 plus camera that is less tyhan a year old for nothing more than face shots and or the occasional convenience of it's size. Again, the picture taking without the zoom is of a very nice quality with the exception of a few color tint issues here and there. Had I not purchased the last Canon on line, I would have taken it back for an exchange. I was that disappointed in it's overall performance compared to other brands I had played around with and that surprised me in that they were "Canon."

Quote Originally Posted by watzone View Post
    I did mean Canon I was thinking of my friends last name. Anyhow, I hope Canon fixed the problem. I was very disappointed when I purchased one of their top rated cameres according to CNNet. On a ten scale, I'd rate the camera a 5. I would rate the zoom a 1. It's that bad. I honestly feel like canon is nothing more than a name, expecially with point and shoot models. Their SLR's are very nice and obviously, their cup of tea, but I would not buy a point and shoot canon again. FWIW, I take hundreds of photos weekly and I have tried every possible setting to eliminate the short comings. In all honesty, I have sehlved a 300.00 plus camera that is less tyhan a year old for nothing more than face shots and or the occasional convenience of it's size. Again, the picture taking without the zoom is of a very nice quality with the exception of a few color tint issues here and there. Had I not purchased the last Canon on line, I would have taken it back for an exchange. I was that disappointed in it's overall performance compared to other brands I had played around with and that surprised me in that they were "Canon."
    My experience has been the exact opposite. I tried a Kodak and a Sony and didn't like either of them. I then bought my old Powershot and was happy except for the blurry images (image stabilization was only available on higher end equipment when I bought that camera). The motion detection and image stabilization on this model have eliminated that problem. Also, my brother's fiance, who is a professional photographer, has a Canon model for her 'slip it into her purse and take it to bars, gatherings, etc. camera' so if she, being a pro, uses one they can't be all that bad.