Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    Bear in mind that I shaved this morning with a replaceable blade straight razor using a lather I generated from a shaving soap using a brush... so to me foam versus gel is kind of bad versus worse.
    There are other options, like non lathering gels such as the ones made by King of Shaves and shave oils like shave secret, that also work well.

~8-9 month update

Just a quick update

I've been able to adapt to the the safety razor so well that getting 2 weeks worth of shaves (10-14) out of a DE blade is quite doable. That was my old standard when I used disposable twins. The last shave is, of course, not the same quality as the first, but that was the case with the twin disposables as well. Bottom line is, I don't find that these safety razor blades have to be changed more frequently than twin blades razors or cartridges, despite what I've seen on some forums.

Best of all, I've only nicked myself once, and it was actually minor compared to nicks I'd get with a disposable twin. That is to say, I nick myself less, and less significantly, with the safety razor. I wasn't expecting that at all. Surprised and very happy.

Now, I still have to be really careful handling the blades! There's no getting around that. I am putting the old ones in an Altoids tin and someday will take it to metal recycling. It appears those things can hold a LOT of them.

For the holiday season I might ask for something beyond this "starter razor", though it's doing fine. The ones I had in mind were:

Merkur 34C
    Merkur 23C
    Edwin Jagger
    Parker 99R

Any feedback on those? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    Just a quick update

I've been able to adapt to the the safety razor so well that getting 2 weeks worth of shaves (10-14) out of a DE blade is quite doable. That was my old standard when I used disposable twins. The last shave is, of course, not the same quality as the first, but that was the case with the twin disposables as well. Bottom line is, I don't find that these safety razor blades have to be changed more frequently than twin blades razors or cartridges, despite what I've seen on some forums.

Best of all, I've only nicked myself once, and it was actually minor compared to nicks I'd get with a disposable twin. That is to say, I nick myself less, and less significantly, with the safety razor. I wasn't expecting that at all. Surprised and very happy.

Now, I still have to be really careful handling the blades! There's no getting around that. I am putting the old ones in an Altoids tin and someday will take it to metal recycling. It appears those things can hold a LOT of them.

For the holiday season I might ask for something beyond this "starter razor", though it's doing fine. The ones I had in mind were:

Merkur 34C
    Merkur 23C
    Edwin Jagger
    Parker 99R

I love the weight and feel of the Edwin Jagger DE89. Been using it since I started shaving with a safety razor. It's considered a "starter" razor but I never felt the need to move on from there.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    Just a quick update

Merkur 34C
    Merkur 23C
    Edwin Jagger
    Parker 99R

PM me. So many much better choices than these are available. For starters, I would recommend looked at italianbarber.com for the RazoRock-branded razors. Something like the Game Changer 0.68 would be so much better than any of the razors you have listed. Game Changer is CNC-milled from 100% stainless steel. All the razors on your list are chromed Zamac. If the chrome gets a little ding and water gets beneath it, the entire head can corrode. If you accidentally drop the razor the threads can snap right off.

I'd be happy to discuss other options via PM if you would like, because to a certain extent it depends on what it is you want from a razor, but I can't recommend the RazoRock razors highly enough. There is nothing anywhere near as good as these in CNC-milled stainless steel for anywhere near the prices they charge. Very, very good "bang-for-the-buck."
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust