Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by UVaAmbassador View Post
    From the look of your avatar, though, it appears you have considerably more hair than I do.
    Oh, that dude's face is nice and soft. But it smells like a fish.

Quote Originally Posted by mph View Post
    In a closely related point, blade proliferation is getting out of hand. Haven't we reached the point of significantly diminishing returns or are we going to have to watch commercials for the Gillette "Ocho"?
    Some heavily NSFW language here, but this Onion op-ed column by the CEO of Gillette is brilliant. When you consider that this was written significantly before the release of the Fusion, you have a delicious bit of art foreshadowing life.

Today's sign the Apocalypse is coming...

... I am posting my shaving habits on the web. "What a country!"

I am using somebody's multi-blade thingy with the little strip now. Every few years someone sends me a freebie and I'll switch to that one.

I can get away with M-W-F workday shaving, and I change the blade every two months. The switch to the new blade is nice, but the old one could still go longer if I felt like it. Disposables really and truly suck. Never ever used one that was good for more than two shaves.

Days skipped shaving on vacation more or less even out the the "get dressed up" Saturday night weekend cougar-hunting shaves...

I can rock a goatee (with more than a 'touch of grey' these days) and some grunge sideburns, but the stuff in between would take weeks if not months to fill in. Not sure whom to thank for the relatively hairless ancestry in my genetic soup, but I'm not complaining... And I go straight downgrain; going uphill doesn't make much difference and is not worth the effort...

What's the next topic of personal hygiene on which we can squander our First Amendment rights? Fingernail trimming? Navel lint? If you're an "outie", what kind of shirts give you the most problems? If you're an "innie", how often do you dig it out (if at all)? What tools (if any) are required?

Quote Originally Posted by billybreen View Post
    Some heavily NSFW language here, but this Onion op-ed column by the CEO of Gillette is brilliant. When you consider that this was written significantly before the release of the Fusion, you have a delicious bit of art foreshadowing life.
    Thanks for the good laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Turk View Post
    What's the next topic of personal hygiene on which we can squander our First Amendment rights? Fingernail trimming? Navel lint? If you're an "outie", what kind of shirts give you the most problems? If you're an "innie", how often do you dig it out (if at all)? What tools (if any) are required?
    All of the above. Bi-weekly to monthly. Rarely an issue. Innie, hair shirts. N/A. Obviated by bathing.

I'm astonished by how long some of you guys can use a razor blade. Those of you who don't change them very often, do you have razor burn? Ingrown hairs? Pain?

I know this topic was directed to the guys. But I do use a razor every day on my legs and I go through 2 razors a week. I use the pink Schick Quatro disposable (4 blades and an aloe strip). How can you guys stand to shave with dull blades? How can you even call it shaving?

I entered into a contrct once with Patrick Davidson. In exchange for my first three children he agreed to come over to my house and stare at my beard until it fell out. But it didn't work too well - my skin exploded in a giant Davidson-induced fireball.

Quote Originally Posted by CathyCA View Post
    I'm astonished by how long some of you guys can use a razor blade. Those of you who don't change them very often, do you have razor burn? Ingrown hairs? Pain?

I know this topic was directed to the guys. But I do use a razor every day on my legs and I go through 2 razors a week. I use the pink Schick Quatro disposable (4 blades and an aloe strip). How can you guys stand to shave with dull blades? How can you even call it shaving?
    A ex-girlfriend of mine found that shaving cream worked much better than soap, that should help a bit.

The decision to shave with a dull blade or change the blade is a simple matter of remembering and laziness. You don't remember that you need to change the blade until you start and by that time you just figure to finish and change the blade next time, ad infinitum.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    My kid game me this piece of crap for Father's Day (it's called "save a blade"). Don't waste your time or money. It made the razor DULLER and more likely to cut my face. I saw a video about it on the internet and they looked at the blades microscopically before and after using this thing; it created massive roughness at the edge of the blade.
    Even if the device worked on the one side of the blade, sharpening requires two flat surfaces which means they also need to sharpen the other side.

I use the Quattro razor. I use about a blade a week, so, seven shaves.

After all these years, I still cringe a little when I shave around my mouth.

-EarlJam

Quote Originally Posted by EarlJam View Post
    I use the Quattro razor. I use about a blade a week, so, seven shaves.

After all these years, I still cringe a little when I shave around my mouth.
    You shave everyday? My favorite part about the weekend is that I don't have to shave anymo... who am I kidding, I never have to shave anyway. BUT, if I did, that would be one of my favorite parts about the weekend.

There is nothing that bleeds quite like a chunk of your mouth missing. In my book, cutting your lip shaving is a good enough reason to call in sick.

I don't know if this is the case... but its amazing to me... I've talked to some educated men who complain about manual blades (feels like its "ripping" the hairs out of their face)... just make sure you get your face good and wet in the shower with warm water... make sure you wash it in the shower with mousturized soap... slap a towel on and shave AS SOON as you get out of the shower. much smoother, much closer shave.

I don't know if this is the case... but its amazing to me... I've talked to some educated men who complain about manual blades (feels like its "ripping" the hairs out of their face)... just make sure you get your face good and wet in the shower with warm water... make sure you wash it in the shower with mousturized soap... slap a towel on and shave AS SOON as you get out of the shower. much smoother, much closer shave. also rinse the blade after every stroke in warm water. I get 30 shaves out of my blades easy.

yes, no, yes

Quote Originally Posted by 2535Miles View Post
    You shave everyday?
    I don't really have much of a choice. My wife absolutely HATES facial hair. She wants her man clean shaven. Every once in a long while she'll give me a Saturday off (I call it my "facial day of rest"). I'd say in a 31-day month, I shave at least 30 days.

Occasionally, I'll get 14 shaves out of a blade, but usually about 10 is the max. I'm going to try Bluedawg's suggestion and dry the blade after I use it every day and see if I can stretch it out to 3 weeks.

I have one piece of advice for you all.

Buy a fogless mirror for the shower and shave in the shower.

I've found that it does wonders for the shave. My standard for "pulling" has changed. A brand new blade, used to shave at the sink, feels aweful to me. Shaving during a hot shower cuts down the shave time, plus rinsing off afterwards is a breeze.

Also, as someone else mentioned, drying the blade will greatly extend blade life. Razors last about 2-3 weeks for me, and I could probably go longer with the blade but I started buying the massive pack of blades from costco which seems to save.

Also, I shave with the grain. I get massive breakouts and ingrown hairs if I go against.
    Duke '03
    Tent 1 '99/'00

I get razor burn, ingrown hairs, and pain every time I shave, and I'm the guy who uses blades once and throws them away. I guess my face is cursed (have fun with that one).

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    I don't really have much of a choice. My wife absolutely HATES facial hair. She wants her man clean shaven. Every once in a long while she'll give me a Saturday off (I call it my "facial day of rest"). I'd say in a 31-day month, I shave at least 30 days.

Occasionally, I'll get 14 shaves out of a blade, but usually about 10 is the max. I'm going to try Bluedawg's suggestion and dry the blade after I use it every day and see if I can stretch it out to 3 weeks.
    Wow, I hope my the soon-to-be-if-I-ever-find-her Mrs. 235Miles likes facial hair because there is just no way I could shave that often. I wonder how much the average male DBR poster spends a year on razor blades.

I'll echo the "buy-a-fogless-mirror-and-shave-in-the-shower" suggestion. That alone makes a HUGE difference.

My wife actually likes my best either 1 or 2 days after I shave, the short-stubble look. I agree, but I can only get away with taking one day off shaving while working, so I usually shave Monday, Wednesday, Friday.

I would guess I get 6-10 shaves out of a razor, but I notice a definite difference in feel by the end of the blade life. I don't know how drying would help, as it's the moisturizing strip that usually tells me the blade is done.

While it sucks to spend all that money on blades (I tried the fusion and didn't like it, I still use the orange M3 blades), the reality is that they work so much better than every other option, so it's worth it.

I shave with the grain on my face, and against the grain on my throat. The hair on my throat grows at such a steep angle (basically parallel to my skin) that shaving with the grain basically won't cut it. Not surprisingly, the only razor burn I get is on my throat.

Quote Originally Posted by 2535Miles View Post
    I get razor burn, ingrown hairs, and pain every time I shave, and I'm the guy who uses blades once and throws them away. I guess my face is cursed (have fun with that one).

I was going to post this earlier and now that CathyCA has joined this fascinating topic of conversation, I feel justified in doing so.

* Men of DBR - if you're having a lot of trouble with razor burn, bumps, etc. it may not be your razor that's to blame.* My husband thought I was crazy, but after getting "razor burn" (more accurately characterized as a horrible, stinging pain radiating down my legs) from shaving with his shaving cream on my legs, I suggested that he switch to Aveeno. No fragrances, emulsifiers, weird colors, dioxymidiichlorians, etc. From that point onwards, he claims that his face has become less sensitive, but I know the truth and I'm the one that has to buy the stuff for him because he's embarrassed.

(oh, but I'm willing to because I hate facial hair too... why would anyone ever like it?? Do you enjoy kissing a pot scourer? No? Then why would you have any use for beards, goatees, etc.?)

Quote Originally Posted by Turk View Post
    What's the next topic of personal hygiene on which we can squander our First Amendment rights?
    You mean you don't think our forefathers would have rejoiced to see this day on that night when they crossed the whole Delaware in sub-zero temperatures in their selfless dedication to our country and us, their descendants??