Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Kyle Singler better be Larry Byrd

Some people are comparing the Oregonian to the Indiana State star and this kid better be the real deal for Duke to do anything next year.

Who's this Byrd fellow of whom you speak?

He's the bizzaro world version of the Hick from French Lick. Like Majyk Jonsen and Mikkal Jordin...you know, them.

Next year's class

Kyle Singler is a very versatile player who has the potential to develop into a great player. Do not underestimate the ability of the other freshmen: Nolan Smith is quick, can beat people off the dribble and is a strong perimeter defender. He may solve our inability to stop dribble penetration. Taylor King is a great shooter with long range. He is also a tough rebounder. These three freshman will bring tremendous talent into the program. Hopefully, PP will decide on Duke and make it a quartet.

We also have 8 scholarship players returning. They will all be a year older and a year better.

Bob Green
    Yokosuka, Japan

I think Nolan Smith is the key to next year moreso than Singler. We just need someone who can penetrate. It makes everything sooo much easier. Paulus can't penetrate, but having him on the floor hitting 3s and helping run the offense without having to drive would be big. Demarcus would also be a lot better getting a pass after Smith had gotten the D out of sync. Scheyer would get more open looks from 3. We have intelligent players so I think ball movement will be excellent once we get someone who can break the D down off the dribble. I hope Nolan is that guy.

lavell12 is a frontrunner for the chicken little award.

In all seriousness, guys, we'll be better next year. Henderson & Scheyer with a summer of conditiong, Paulus with a backup point guard, Thomas & Zoubek with a summer in the weight room...you get the idea.

I know it's painful to say and I know Ohio State and NC are winning with young teams too...but we're young...

Quote Originally Posted by dukeisawesome View Post
    I think Nolan Smith is the key to next year moreso than Singler. We just need someone who can penetrate. It makes everything sooo much easier. Paulus can't penetrate, but having him on the floor hitting 3s and helping run the offense without having to drive would be big. Demarcus would also be a lot better getting a pass after Smith had gotten the D out of sync. Scheyer would get more open looks from 3. We have intelligent players so I think ball movement will be excellent once we get someone who can break the D down off the dribble. I hope Nolan is that guy.
    Just as long as Smith is comfortable handling the ball. Nelson and Scheyer handle the ball with all the aplomb of dribbling a time bomb. You can tell they're eager to get rid of it. Not having McRoberts next year could hurt if Smith struggles.

Quote Originally Posted by lavell12 View Post
    Some people are comparing the Oregonian to the Indiana State star and this kid better be the real deal for Duke to do anything next year.
    Yeah, Duke is doomed. Not only that, but Taylor King had better be Chris Mullin and Brian Zoubek had better turn into Bill Walton. Geez Louise; I can't get over some of the pessimism and faulty analysis of next year's team.

Quote Originally Posted by RelativeWays View Post
    Just as long as Smith is comfortable handling the ball. Nelson and Scheyer handle the ball with all the aplomb of dribbling a time bomb. You can tell they're eager to get rid of it. Not having McRoberts next year could hurt if Smith struggles.
    Scheyer looked pretty darn comfortable to me, including against VCU's traps. He had two turnovers in 35 minutes. And Nelson is a fine dribbler. Sure, he overpenetrates and has his head down, which affects his passing, but he's absolutely comfortable dribbling the ball against pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
    Yeah, Duke is doomed... I can't get over some of the pessimism and faulty analysis of next year's team.
    Jumbo, I agree that the pessimism for next year is over the top. But how much do you feel Duke needs to land Patterson to increase their chances at being really good next year? I think he's a must if we are to entertain legit Elite Eight aspirations (which I think is very possible with PP in the fold). I'd say without him we are Sweet 16 material, but that's about it. Too big a hole in the middle if he doesn't come. What do you think?

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by dukeisawesome View Post
    I agree that Duke's biggest weakness this season was the inability to break down defenses off the dribble. I believe it is the primary reason we went such long stretches without scoring and it is definitely something that Paulus lacks. I also agree that Nolan Smith has "beat you off the dribble and break down the defense capability." So does Henderson and we will see a lot of that next season from him. I think the second Carolina game this year will be Gerald's average game next year - meaning that's the kind of production we can expect from him (minus the elbow and DQ).

That being said, Singler is the key for us next season. I really believe he is that good. I haven't been this excited about a recruit since Grant Hill.

(By the way, Jason Williams was, in my opininon, the best beat you off the dribble, break down a defense, player Duke has ever had. I am sure there are some who would argue JD, but JW had the most incredible combination of quickness and strength maybe of any college player in the last 10 years. That would be an interesting debate.)

Next Year

I hope k has the guys running all summer. We now have a team that can really run. Hope it happens.

Hurley

"(By the way, Jason Williams was, in my opininon, the best beat you off the dribble, break down a defense, player Duke has ever had. I am sure there are some who would argue JD, but JW had the most incredible combination of quickness and strength maybe of any college player in the last 10 years. That would be an interesting debate.)"

I seem to remember him driving and dishing pretty well too. But Jason sure could finish!

You guys are getting me excited for the McDonalds game and next year already!

Singler!

Okay, because of this thread, I just watched this you tube clip again. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etarE-rRNMg. Check out the drive and the spin move about 1:30 into the video. He starts with the ball nearly at half court. Keep in mind Singler is playing against the #1 team in the country. What 6'8" kid can do that?

Check out his reaction after the dunk in the fourth quarter - about 3:20 in.

39 points (16 - 26 from the field)!

Remember those games when you'd be watching and yell at the TV - just get it to JJ!! Or just get the ball to Williams!!. Or just give it to Laettner!! Or get it to Grant!!

I am telling you, next year we will all be yelling "get the ball to kyle!"

By the way, Nolan Smith looked very smooth in this game also.

If we lose one pretty good player (McBob) and gain three (maybe even four, but maybe not) pretty good players, how can we be worse? Plus, as others have stated, we have several players (Thomas and Zoubek) who should improve immensely with a summer's training. I, at least, excited. If (50/50 at best, I guess) we get Patterson, I will almost be unable to restrain myself. Only about seven months until the blue/white scrimmage! Go Duke!

Quote Originally Posted by juise View Post
    Who's this Byrd fellow of whom you speak?
    A South Dakotan boxer, apparently:

http://www.rushfuneralhome.com/larry_byrd_obituary.htm

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

I think Hurley was a better drive, draw and dish guy than Jason but Hurley had trouble finishing his first two seasons. His Jr. and Sr. seasons he corrected that flaw and became a complete offensive player. He was also the best conditioned player I've ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    Jumbo, I agree that the pessimism for next year is over the top. But how much do you feel Duke needs to land Patterson to increase their chances at being really good next year? I think he's a must if we are to entertain legit Elite Eight aspirations (which I think is very possible with PP in the fold). I'd say without him we are Sweet 16 material, but that's about it. Too big a hole in the middle if he doesn't come. What do you think?

Gary
    I'm going to hedge like a politician here. I'm very interested in seeing what a summer in Duke's weight training program will do for Brian Zoubek. I'm not even worried about his offense (more on that in a second). As long as he's mobile enough to play Duke defense and can hold his ground on the block, Duke can be very good with Big Z giving them 25 minutes. And considering that most teams don't have lots of talented 6'10" guys waiting on the bench, Lance would be fine defensively in relief of him.

The reason I'm not worried about Zoubek's offense is that I think Kyle Singler is going to be really, really good. All the frustrating things about McRoberts -- finishing around the basket, making real post moves, hitting jumpers -- he can do. He is the perfect prototype for a Duke "4" -- great inside/outside skills. In fact, I think the dirty little secret about Duke's offense this year was that neither the 4 nor the 5 could hit from the outside. I can't think of another team besides ... wait for it ... the 1994-95 and 1995-96 seasons, where Duke was in that situation.

I'm not one for going out on a limb. But last year, at this time, everyone was gaga for Henderson, and I said that Scheyer was going to be the better player. I'd seen enough (and heard more than enough from people who know a lot more than I do) to be convinced of that. It certainly played out that way. So, I'll throw this one out there, since it's the subject of this thread. Comparing anyone to Larry Bird is absurd. Every good white player gets that label. But from what I've seen of Singler, some of the similarities are eerie. The form, the moves, the feel for the game ... Singler is going to be very special, right away. And Duke's offense will improve dramatically as a result.

Patterson would obviously be an important get. However, I don't see him in quite the same light as Brand/Boozer/Williams. He's not the offensive force that Brand and Boozer were right away -- his post moves aren't as polished and he's not as good a shooter. And he's not the shot-blocker Williams was. I don't think he's a legit 6'8," and I don't think he'll ever be as thick as those guys. I look at him more like a better Chuck Hayes, which would still be huge. And he'd definitely give Duke a huge lift. I just don't want anyone to expect him to be a savior -- it's not fair to the kid.

Jumbo is the Larry Bird of the DBR bulletin board.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    Gary,

I know you are making a point-- and a fairly legit one-- but the difference in being a Sweet 16 team and a final 8 team is largely just luck of the draw. If you are good enough to be a legit Sweet 16 team, all you need is a good break or two to be a national champ. Yes, I am serious. Similarly, you can be good enough to be a national champ but if you run into some untimely bad luck, you can easily be out in the first or second round.

Just being a pain-- sorry

-Jason "while I think PP would be a big boost to us, I think we are still a top 10 team without him" Evans