Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unhappy Tony Stewart is leaving Gibbs

He will announce either today or tomorrow that he is leaving Gibbs to buy 50% of HAAS CNC Racing. So will it become HAAS CNC Stewart Racing?

I was one of those who really thought he would retire with Gibbs. Next year will be odd with him lout of the 20 Home Depot car. I'll also mis all of his great commercials.

Smile Yeah, but ...

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedawg View Post
    He will announce either today or tomorrow that he is leaving Gibbs to buy 50% of HAAS CNC Racing. So will it become HAAS CNC Stewart Racing?

I was one of those who really thought he would retire with Gibbs. Next year will be odd with him lout of the 20 Home Depot car. I'll also mis all of his great commercials.
    You're forgetting one important item:
    He gets to race with Chevy again.

Besides, Gibbs is going with Kyle as its number one, and he's bringing in the wunderkind, Joey Logano.

I'm happy with the move. GO SMOKE!

Cheers,
    Lavabe

I think the new name will be Stewart Haas.

http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/nascar...ory?id=3479199

Wonder what the new commercials for Smoke will be. I'm sure his new ones will be just as entertaining.

Never really liked Stewart's attitude, or his apparent feeling of entitlement. I am, however, very eager to see if this opening gets filled by my boy Martin Truex Jr. (Logano is likely, whoever fills the 20, to end up as the 4th car that Gibbs is starting).

Quote Originally Posted by UVaAmbassador View Post
    Never really liked Stewart's attitude, or his apparent feeling of entitlement. I am, however, very eager to see if this opening gets filled by my boy Martin Truex Jr. (Logano is likely, whoever fills the 20, to end up as the 4th car that Gibbs is starting).
    I doubt Truex is leaving DEI, he's their number one drive. Have you heard anything indicating he might?

I know Stewart has already lined up a sponsorship deal that will have him switching his depot from home to the office. Is that a full-time sponsorship deal or is it possible that OD will be splitting time with another sponsor?

Quote Originally Posted by TillyGalore View Post
    I doubt Truex is leaving DEI, he's their number one drive. Have you heard anything indicating he might?
    There's no way DEI wants to lose Truex, but that doesn't mean he won't go. I take the fact that he's resisting DEI's attempt to pick up his option as a sign he wants out. The events of the last week can't make him feel any better about his team. If he doesn't find a way to get out of the option I bet he's gone by the 2010 season.

Quote Originally Posted by mph View Post
    There's no way DEI wants to lose Truex, but that doesn't mean he won't go. I take the fact that he's resisting DEI's attempt to pick up his option as a sign he wants out. The events of the last week can't make him feel any better about his team. If he doesn't find a way to get out of the option I bet he's gone by the 2010 season.
    Interesting! Is it me, or does it seem like people are jumping DEI's ship?

Interesting! Is it me, or does it seem like people are jumping DEI's ship?
    I have never heard a bad comment about Max Siegel, the DEI President of Global Operations. He seems to have the respect of his peers and his drivers. It's almost become sport to bash Teresa, but I think she's brought most of it on herself. From a business perspective, it looks like she made a big mistake when she let Jr. go rather than giving him a controlling interest. I bet 49% of DEI with Jr. is worth a good deal more than 100% of DEI without him.

At this point, it looks like Teresa, not Siegel, is running the show. If Truex leaves they're not going to be able to bail water fast enough. It's a sad state of affairs for the company founded by NASCAR's greatest driver (IMHO).

I have never heard a bad comment about Max Siegel, the DEI President of Global Operations. He seems to have the respect of his peers and his drivers. It's almost become sport to bash Teresa, but I think she's brought most of it on herself. From a business perspective, it looks like she made a big mistake when she let Jr. go rather than giving him a controlling interest. I bet 49% of DEI with Jr. is worth a good deal more than 100% of DEI without him.

At this point, it looks like Teresa, not Siegel, is running the show. If Truex leaves they're not going to be able to bail water fast enough. It's a sad state of affairs for the company founded by NASCAR's greatest driver (IMHO).
    I think your characterization is dead on. It looks like Siegel is putting together an investment group to buy out Teresa, though, so things could get better.

As far as Truex, there's absolutely no argument competition-wise for why he should stay. I don't get why people like Newton and Blount keep saying "but he'd be the centerpiece at DEI, he'll be just another driver somewhere else." So what? What's the upside in being king of a crappy country? Go to Gibbs, Truex is good enough to win a championship one day. I really thought HMS was looking good, with the Junior connection and all. When it looked as if they were signing Martin for only a year a lot of people thought they were just keeping the seat warm while Truex served out his option year. Now they're saying its for two years, with the second year being a split time situation with someone like Kesolowski (sp?) or Cassill.

The only legit argument for why Truex might stay is the money. DEI was paying Mark Martin $8 million just to drive part time this year. Apparently, they're going to take that 8 mil and just put it on top of the current offer to Truex (I don't know the exact number, but supposedly it was already pretty big). DEI might make Truex the highest paid driver in NASCAR not named Tony Stewart (because of the ownership interest). As desperately as I want to see Truex elsewhere (even taking over the 12 at Penske is a small step up), I have to admit thats a tough offer to pass up.

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    You're forgetting one important item:
    He gets to race with Chevy again.

Besides, Gibbs is going with Kyle as its number one, and he's bringing in the wunderkind, Joey Logano.

I'm happy with the move. GO SMOKE!

Cheers,
    Lavabe
    I'm a Ford guy, so that really doesn't matter.

Hey Ya'll, I don't follow NASCAR so I'm not sure of the impact of Tony Stewart leaving Gibbs. I am a Redskins fan though and was interested on your take on Joe. Do you think that his short lived revival in the NFL affected his team (or is it teams?)? How does Joe Gibbs stack up against other owners? Is he well liked?

I miss Joe Gibbs coaching the Redskins.

Like UVaA I think you're dead on with this statement.

Quote Originally Posted by 2535Miles View Post
    Hey Ya'll, I don't follow NASCAR so I'm not sure of the impact of Tony Stewart leaving Gibbs. I am a Redskins fan though and was interested on your take on Joe. Do you think that his short lived revival in the NFL affected his team (or is it teams?)? How does Joe Gibbs stack up against other owners? Is he well liked?

I miss Joe Gibbs coaching the Redskins.
    I miss him coaching the Skins too. I think he has taken his skills as a coach and applied them to working with his drivers. In watching the NASCAR program on ESPN last night (I can't freekin' believe I'm that much into NASCAR, who would have thought?) that was a point brought up with regards to both TS and Kyle Busch. Joe Gibbs motivates his athletes, be they football players or drivers.

Time will tell how Smoke's departure from JGR will impact JGR. I think JGR is strong enough that they will not only survive, but remain contenders for the Chase and championships. I'm hearing that Joey Lagano is the next greatest driver, though I am concerned with his age as young athletes who come on too strong too soon end up getting burned early. I could be wrong. I am looking forward to using Lagano in Fantasy NASCAR. Again, though I think Joe Gibbs will be able to, I hate using this word but I can't think of another, control Lagano and get the best out of him without Lagano burning out.

With respect to DEI and their situation. It would be interesting if Max Seigel does find a way to buy out Teresa. She can't see the forest through the trees as it appears her only goal is keeping Dale's legacy alive. Letting Jr. go was one way of hurting his legacy. There is no better legacy than off-spring. But, it's not like she called Tilly to get Tilly's thoughts. Maybe she should have.

I miss him coaching the Skins too. I think he has taken his skills as a coach and applied them to working with his drivers. In watching the NASCAR program on ESPN last night (I can't freekin' believe I'm that much into NASCAR, who would have thought?) that was a point brought up with regards to both TS and Kyle Busch. Joe Gibbs motivates his athletes, be they football players or drivers.

Time will tell how Smoke's departure from JGR will impact JGR. I think JGR is strong enough that they will not only survive, but remain contenders for the Chase and championships. I'm hearing that Joey Lagano is the next greatest driver, though I am concerned with his age as young athletes who come on too strong too soon end up getting burned early. I could be wrong. I am looking forward to using Lagano in Fantasy NASCAR. Again, though I think Joe Gibbs will be able to, I hate using this word but I can't think of another, control Lagano and get the best out of him without Lagano burning out.

With respect to DEI and their situation. It would be interesting if Max Seigel does find a way to buy out Teresa. She can't see the forest through the trees as it appears her only goal is keeping Dale's legacy alive. Letting Jr. go was one way of hurting his legacy. There is no better legacy than off-spring. But, it's not like she called Tilly to get Tilly's thoughts. Maybe she should have.
    Maybe she should have. I agree with this...good answer.

My main concern over Tony leaving is that Owner/Drivers tend not to work. Hopefully since he'll have Haas to help run it this might be better

Thanks Tilly, I'm glad to hear the respect he's earned on the field has been earned on the track. Are you also a Skins fans? I grew up eating my breakfast on Redskins placemat; Gary Clark on one side, Art Monk on the other.

Thanks Tilly, I'm glad to hear the respect he's earned on the field has been earned on the track. Are you also a Skins fans? I grew up eating my breakfast on Redskins placemat; Gary Clark on one side, Art Monk on the other.
    Sad to say I am now a fair weather Skins fan. Like you I'm a military brat (Air Force), my dad was stationed at the NSA twice (78-81 and 85-88). The first time there I became a passionate O's and Skins fan. Those were the days of Joe Thiesman, Art Monk, and John Riggan (we need more John Riggans in the world), to name a few. We kicked arse and didn't bother taking names.

Since being away from the DC area my love for the Skins has dwindled and I don't follow them as passionately as I used to. I was excited when Joe Gibbs came back and thought "we'd" be headed back to glory in no time. Sean Taylor's murder effected Gibbs more than we'll ever know and think that is why he left the Skins.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedawg View Post
    Maybe she should have. I agree with this...good answer.

My main concern over Tony leaving is that Owner/Drivers tend not to work. Hopefully since he'll have Haas to help run it this might be better
    I think more people should call me before they make major decisions. But, alas, they don't.

I have the same concerns about Tony being an owner/driver. I think the rest of the season will be a telltale sign of how he can perform on the track given he's leaving. I think his performance the first half of the year could be an indication of things as he hasn't performed well and a lot of this has been weighing on him. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if he was sick, thus having to leave the race Saturday, because of the stress brought on by his situation. I'm not saying he wasn't sick, I'm saying he was sick because of this.

BUT, and this is a big one, Tony is a second half driver. He seems to do well the second half of the season, hence I think that will be the indicator of what we can expect next year. Plus, next year he will be back in a Chevy. He really didn't like Toyota. Recently, he commented about trusting JD with the decision to go with Toyota. That was the indicator for me that he would be leaving JGR.

Sad to say I am now a fair weather Skins fan. Like you I'm a military brat (Air Force), my dad was stationed at the NSA twice (78-81 and 85-88). The first time there I became a passionate O's and Skins fan. Those were the days of Joe Thiesman, Art Monk, and John Riggan (we need more John Riggans in the world), to name a few. We kicked arse and didn't bother taking names.

Since being away from the DC area my love for the Skins has dwindled and I don't follow them as passionately as I used to. I was excited when Joe Gibbs came back and thought "we'd" be headed back to glory in no time. Sean Taylor's murder effected Gibbs more than we'll ever know and think that is why he left the Skins.
    My dad was stationed at BFAB in the 80's when the Skins beat the Broncos in the Super Bowl. It's probably one of my earliest Sports Memories. It's been a rough few decades for Skins fans. The Sean Taylor murder really sucked, especially because it seemed like he was turning his life around. Seeing Joe come back and leave so quickly nearly broke my heart.

Don't give up hope though. You can be a fair weather fan, as long as you're not a Ravens fan, or uhm a Cowboys fan!!!! Sorry to hijack the thread.

My dad was stationed at BFAB in the 80's when the Skins beat the Broncos in the Super Bowl. It's probably one of my earliest Sports Memories. It's been a rough few decades for Skins fans. The Sean Taylor murder really sucked, especially because it seemed like he was turning his life around. Seeing Joe come back and leave so quickly nearly broke my heart.

Don't give up hope though. You can be a fair weather fan, as long as you're not a Ravens fan, or uhm a Cowboys fan!!!! Sorry to hijack the thread.
    Go ahead and shoot me, I am a part-time Ravens fan. Still haven't gotten over Ursay sneaking out of Baltimore in the middle of the night. Hence, the only Colts team in the NFL are the Baltimore Colts. In Tilly's world that is.