Honest Confession

I, EarlJam, want to learn how to fly. A few years ago, before "the divorce," I was taking flying lessons and got to the point to where I could navigate and land a plane on my own (not solo though - the instructor was in the cockpit).

But the instructor said I was "a natural" and had great piloting instincts.

I really, really, REALLY want to solo before leaving this wonderful earth, but here is my challenge: I don't have a lot of extra income.

I know that a lot of people that go to Duke are much more savvy and smarter about money than I am.

What can I do here? What would you do? My divorce and the couple years after took a ton of my savings. But I must learn to fly.

What would you do? Any advice is welcome. Thanks.

-EarlJam

Best Option

There is a guy in Yemen named Yasim Laqab Rahman who will pay for any male to take flying lessons here in the United States. He had an ad on the internet somewhere a few weeks back. I remember it said "can not eat pork and must like virgins". Not sure what that was about but you might want to check into it.

A sincere recommendation -- get a job selling airplanes. You will probably find it necessary to learn to fly, and it may be tax deductible. You can give me a fair share of your first commission.

My suggestion is Ultralights. I don't know if that would satisfy your craving, but it sure would for me. They are "relatively" cheap as far as flying goes, and I believe you don't actually need a pilot's license to fly them.

The downside... it isn't really a mode of transportation, since you are not traveling at more than 50mph (if you are... well... something went wrong. ).

The upside... you will feel more like you are flying than you even feel in a small plane. My experience in one was quite exhilarating.

In other words, EJ, I suggest you get an ultralight... or rather find somewhere to try one out. (With an expert. I can't in good conscience suggest you go steal one and go for a joyride... though if you decide to do that, PM me and I will try to meet you.)

Hmm, barter for flying time? Maybe a flight instructor would like tennis lessons? Is there a way to meet the owners of planes at your local airfield? Maybe maybe they need some ad hoc marketing services you could provide, in exchange for an hour behind the stick.

I'm jealous you even got as far as taking lessons. It's on my personal to-do-before-I-die list as well, to get my pilot's license. My dad was both a fixed wing and helicopter pilot, and I loved flying with him in a Beechcraft Baron when I was a kid.

Find yourself a Sugar Mama.

Stop drinking.

Or the better idea would be giving the tennis lessons on the side to supplement your income.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    However you do it, best of luck. One day, I'll get my license, but either sweetiepie has to get a way better paying job, or the kids have to move out. I have fun on MS Flight Simulator, I have the yoke and pedals. Sweetiepie ordered from the NCDOT flight peripherials (one is airport maps, the other is a huge state map with a bunch of info pilots use).
    I surprised her a couple years ago, and took us for introductory flight lessons. I figured we'd go up, and the instructor would let us take the controls for a bit, then he'd be bring us back. I brought my camera to take pictures. I never even got to hold the camera. From takeoff to landing you were in control, he just sat there ready to grab the yoke if needed. It was a Cessna 152, so we had to go up seperately. She went first; her first time in an airplane, and she flew it.
    That was a blast, so EJ good luck and get that license. Just think of all the DBRers you can visit then!

Quote Originally Posted by Schwarz View Post
    Stop drinking.

Or the better idea would be giving the tennis lessons on the side to supplement your income.
    The tennis lessons are really a good idea.

Quick drinking? We'll now you're just being silly.

-EJ

Quote Originally Posted by Latta6970 View Post
    There is a guy in Yemen named Yasim Laqab Rahman who will pay for any male to take flying lessons here in the United States. He had an ad on the internet somewhere a few weeks back. I remember it said "can not eat pork and must like virgins". Not sure what that was about but you might want to check into it.
    Unfortunately, he doesn't pay for lessons for landings!

Give godukerocks some season tickets, then come to Pensacola, and we'll be more than glad to teach you how to fly for free, seeing how my father is a flight instructor. :-)

P.S. What type of plane did you fly, EarlJam?

Quote Originally Posted by godukerocks View Post
    Give godukerocks some season tickets, then come to Pensacola, and we'll be more than glad to teach you how to fly for free, seeing how my father is a flight instructor. :-)

P.S. What type of plane did you fly, EarlJam?
    We trained on a really old Cessna - I belive it was a 182?

Flew in and out of PDK in Northeast Atlanta.

Not bragging, but a lot of came so natural to me. I fell in love with it. But I don't have the finances to perfect it or to continue........yet.

But it remains a goal.

I simply LOVE aviation. I still go down to Hartsfield-Jackson at times just to watch the planes come in. And on a trip to Europe pre-911, I got the flight attendents to let me sit up in the cockpit of a 747 (KLM) on a flight from JFK to London.

Your father's an instructer? So do you fly? Holy cow. Let me move down there and be your butler; wash the planes, do anything. Barter, barter, BARTER!

I will do it!

-EarlJam

Quote Originally Posted by EarlJam View Post
    We trained on a really old Cessna - I belive it was a 182?

Flew in and out of PDK in Northeast Atlanta.

Not bragging, but a lot of came so natural to me. I fell in love with it. But I don't have the finances to perfect it or to continue........yet.

But it remains a goal.

I simply LOVE aviation. I still go down to Hartsfield-Jackson at times just to watch the planes come in. And on a trip to Europe pre-911, I got the flight attendents to let me sit up in the cockpit of a 747 (KLM) on a flight from JFK to London.

Your father's an instructer? So do you fly? Holy cow. Let me move down there and be your butler; wash the planes, do anything. Barter, barter, BARTER!

I will do it!

-EarlJam
    Ahh Cessna's; I believe I rode in 152's often as a young kid. I forget, it was either a 152, or a 182 as you flew in.

That's pretty sweet getting to sit in the cockpit on a flight like that, it's sad that people can no longer experience things like that anymore.

Do I fly? Well, my dad took me flying a lot when I was little, and I became a Young Eagle, where once you fly pretty well you get a certificate and your name is put in the world's largest logbook in Oskwosh, Wisconsin. But after a while I got more into the sports that were on the ground.

We do own an airplane though; an Aerobat. A little two seater that you can perfrom a bunch of aerobatics in very smoothly. I've been debating with myself wether to try to learn how to fly and get a license in a year or two when I turn 17. The thought of just taking some of your friends with you on a weekend and doing aerobatics is awesome, but with all the sports and stuff that goes on already for me I don't know if I'll have the time...ya know?

P.S. My dad likes to wash the plane

Aviation is in my blood. My dad's was an FBO and I grew up at the airport. He taught me and my four brothers to fly. My oldest brother was a fighter pilot and now flies for American.

"I could teach you but I'd have to charge." [hint: Kelis]

I took lessons as a teenager in the mid-50's, made it through my solo flight but ran out of money. My teacher had flown in WW1! My lessons were in his Piper Cub. He, proudly, had private pilots license number 1776 and his Cub had registration number 1776. He was a crusty old guy who could have taught K a few words.