Terp-Duke Hatred and Poker

I thought I'd share a funny moment with you all:

I was flipping through channels late night last night, and managed to catch a few hands of some ESPN poker tournament coverage. I don't know who the commentators were, but one of them obviously went to Maryland and had an axe to grind with Duke. One of the poker players competing went to Duke, and the "color commentator" rather obnoxiously started going off about "Well this guy went to Duke, so I'm obviously rooting for the other guy", "This pottymouth!pottymouth!pottymouth!pottymouth!ie doesn't know what he's doing", "If he had gone to University of Maryland, he'd do a lot better", etc, etc.

It was pretty obnoxious, especially because they were playing POKER and no one but the one color commentator seemed to care. The other "play by play" guy just kind of ignored him. The poker player from Duke had pocket deuces to his competitor's pocket sixes, with nothing helping either of them on the flop. Another card was flipped and our Duke player had something like a sub-20% chance of winning. The color commentator was obviously excited to see the Duke player lose big. So what does the Duke player do? Raises another $200k and gets the other guy to fold what was very likely a winning hand. After that, the color commentator shut up about Duke.

I figured TV wasn't going to get any better than that at 1am and went to bed.

-jonnywonder

The commentator you were listening to is Norman Chad. His role is largely one of comic relief and he is a lot of fun. He often picks on Maryland in a good natured way saying things like, "I went to Maryland, so what do I know?" I have heard the segment where he picks on the Duke guy and it is not mean-spirited at all. Chad is just being Chad.

--Jason "he's a good guy-- I have met him before and he has great admiration for Duke-- even if they are his school's rival" Evans

I saw the same hands last night and thought about posting. Jason is right, Norman Chad may be a goof, and a Maryland grad, but he's a good guy.

On a side note that hand broke Hansen's (it was Gus right?) heart. Gutsy bet.

What was the Duke guy's name? One of my fraternity brothers finished 18th last year, bringing home nearly $400k, and I'm wondering if this was him again.

Quote Originally Posted by JonnyWonder View Post

I was flipping through channels late night last night, and managed to catch a few hands of some ESPN poker tournament coverage. I don't know who the commentators were, but one of them obviously went to Maryland and had an axe to grind with Duke. One of the poker players competing went to Duke, and the "color commentator" rather obnoxiously started going off about "Well this guy went to Duke, so I'm obviously rooting for the other guy", "This pottymouth!pottymouth!pottymouth!pottymouth!ie doesn't know what he's doing", "If he had gone to University of Maryland, he'd do a lot better", etc, etc.

It was pretty obnoxious, especially because they were playing POKER and no one but the one color commentator seemed to care. The other "play by play" guy just kind of ignored him. The poker player from Duke had pocket deuces to his competitor's pocket sixes, with nothing helping either of them on the flop. Another card was flipped and our Duke player had something like a sub-20% chance of winning. The color commentator was obviously excited to see the Duke player lose big. So what does the Duke player do? Raises another $200k and gets the other guy to fold what was very likely a winning hand. After that, the color commentator shut up about Duke.

-jonnywonder
    Wasn't the Duke player Jason Evans?

Quote Originally Posted by TillyGalore View Post
    Wasn't the Duke player Jason Evans?
    As stated, Norman Chad is a good guy. He is my favorite PTI sub and picks on Maryland a heck of a lot more than he picks on Duke. On one PTI segment about college education he ends with: "I went to Maryland. All I got were parking tickets."

On a bit of a side note: Does he enter the World Series any more?

Quote Originally Posted by JonnyWonder View Post

-jonnywonder
    As stated, Norm Chad likes to make fun of his schooling, and plays up the Duke-MD rivalry if there's a Dukie on a table. It is all in good fun -- and I've never taken it any other way.

I suppose I stand "corrected". As my post reflected, I was just flipping through and didn't know any background regarding the identity of the commentator. I'll take everyone's word that he's truly a nice guy (and many people can be wonderful even if their love for Maryland or hatred for Duke is misplaced).

My impression with no background information is that it came off as slightly obnoxious and not particularly applicable to the poker game being played. Granted, I don't watch a lot of poker, so maybe commentators starkly declaring that they want someone to lose (for reasons completely unrelated to poker) is the norm. Nevertheless, my post was not meant to criticize or complain about the commentator (I'm sure he's quite good at his job), it was to illustrate the comedy of the Duke player pulling off a big win on a relatively crappy hand and quieting the commentator. Nothing more or less.

I should add I'm glad that he plays up the comic side of the rivalry, I think an injection of lightheartedness would be good since the rivalry has historically produced some rather ugly moments (battery throwing, F-Duke, etc.). Just watching 5 minutes of poker and not seeing the commentators or their facial expressions, it was hard to tell it was "all in good fun".

Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    On a bit of a side note: Does he enter the World Series any more?
    When I was at the Series, Norman Chad entered at least one event that I saw. I am not sure how good a player he is as he has never cashed in a meaningful tournament as far as I can tell.

I am not sure what ESPN would do if he not only cashed, but made a meaningful final table that was televised. Similarly, it is well known that both Vince Van Patten and Mike Sexton (the announcer and color commentator on the WPT) enter events all the time. I think they both enter WPT events too. Mike Sexton is one of the best players in the world and cashes in Series events and major tournaments all the time. I am not sure what they would do if he made a WPT final table.

--Jason "I miss the Series!!" Evans

Jason, how did you do this year? Which pre-lims did you enter. How were the side games? I'm going next year and I hear the side games are juicier than the actual tourneys, I'm talking fish everywhere. What do you think?

I'll actually be in Vegas in 3 weeks...missing the crowds...any advice where to play? I prefer mid to low stakes cash games and possibly some tournies around 250 or less? Any suggestions?

Bump for Jason's advice...

Quote Originally Posted by Brian12215 View Post
    Bump for Jason's advice...
    Sorry-- crazy busy at the moment, but will have a full reply soon. In the meantime, check out my blog of my adventure for details on how my play in the actual Series events went.

-Jason "scoopthepot.blogspot.com" evans

Thanks...cool blog. Sounds like you had a great time. Have you seen Rainkahn's video where he is playing like 25 sit n' gos at one time? PURE CHAOS!