PDA

View Full Version : Xavier!!??! Argh!!!!!

Cormac
07-02-2008, 07:00 AM
Ok, so I graduated from X in May of 07 and I've been a life long Duke fan!!!! Argh, don't do this to me again!!! I was at the game in Atlanta when Duke beat them and that was not a fun experience!! I mean, I guess in a way "my" team will win no matter what, but then again, "my" team will also lose!!!!! Not a fan of this battle of loyalties thing, so I"m not happy about this game!!! Its like asking me to choose between my two children (that I don't have yet, but you get the idea)!!! Argh!!! Maybe I should go to the game and wear like a half Duke half X shirt?

OZZIE4DUKE
07-02-2008, 10:10 AM
Ok, so I graduated from X in May of 07 and I've been a life long Duke fan!!!! Argh, don't do this to me again!!!

Being a Duke fan is who you are. Going to X is where you went. Don't confuse the two! Root for Duke like most of the other ~20K fans will be. I'll be there.

Edouble
07-02-2008, 10:30 AM
Maybe I should go to the game and wear like a half Duke half X shirt?

Oh please don't do that. I can't stand that.

In your heart, who do you really want to win? Whichever team that is, just cheer for them and hope that their opponent has a respectable showing as well. I don't envy your position though.

Cormac
07-02-2008, 10:53 AM
Oh please don't do that. I can't stand that.

In your heart, who do you really want to win? Whichever team that is, just cheer for them and hope that their opponent has a respectable showing as well. I don't envy your position though.

Don't worry, I definitely won't do that. I was trying to take a shot at Brady Quinn's sister, seeing as how I hate ND and OSU, that whole situation is an easy target for me!

Anyway, I was on Duke's campus for the first time in the first grade, so my loyalties to Duke run much deeper than mine with X do. I love X, but I have a feeling my heart will be with the Blue Devils (although I won't be too mad at X for pulling off the huge upset! :) ). My X-Men lost a TON off of last years team, so they won't be nearly as good and Duke SHOULD win easily. I hope they just give a good showing on national tv!!!

blazindw
07-02-2008, 11:10 AM
I am of this philosophy: always support your undergrad school above all others. Whenever Duke plays Michigan (the school I've supported since the day I was born) or Miami (where I went to law school), Duke always wins out. It always eats me up when Duke plays either team, but I always stick with the undergrad school. I'm sure that you will not be anti-Duke for one day, but rather cheer for both teams, but cheer for your undergrad to win the game.

I've always been asked this question: if Duke football played Michigan football, and a Duke win over Michigan would place Ohio State in the national championship game over Michigan, who would you root for? I would still root for Duke. That's how blue my blood bleeds.

shadowfax336
07-02-2008, 11:24 AM
I was there last Christmas, I grew up with Pitt season tix and am now a student at Duke. I cheered for Duke all the way, but couldn't get too down about a game that went to OT and ended with one of my 2 favorite players on Pitts team nailing a buzzer-beater to win it.

Hopefully you'll be lucky enough to see as good a game... with Duke hitting the final shot this time of course.

I'm quite happy to see X on the schedule, I like them.

mbd1mbd1
07-02-2008, 12:18 PM
So will this game replace the annual MSG game?

wags78
07-02-2008, 02:01 PM
I consider this opponent a bit of a letdown compared to the likes of Pitt, Texas, Kentucky, and even Gonzaga. Xavier hardly has a national following, has never been to a final four, and is unlikely to compete well in this game. Plenty of Duke fans may well take a pass on this game.

OZZIE4DUKE
07-02-2008, 03:36 PM
So will this game replace the annual MSG game?

Although we've played at MSG the last couple of years, we've played at the Meadowlands (or whatever they choose to call it now) many times in December. It may have more to do with arena availability than anything else, but I'm just guessing at that. Is the East Regional there this season? That would be a reason K would schedule a game there rather than MSG this year. We lost in "Cameron North A" last year, so a switch back to "Cameron North B" is welcome. Besides, the hotels in Secaucus are much cheaper than in Manhattan, and the Carnegie Deli is still just a short train ride and cab away!

stals
07-02-2008, 04:07 PM
Duke has played at the Meadowlands in past years and will probably play in MSG this November in Coaches versus Cancer (Nov. 20 & 21).

Bob Green
07-02-2008, 04:11 PM
We also play @ St. John's on Feb. 18th.

dubayuw
07-02-2008, 05:03 PM
i live in cincinnati(where xavier is located) and i have some friends who support xavier but i am always rooting for duke when it comes to mens basketball, i am actually really exited about this game, the only problem is that is duke loses, WHICH THEY WONT, then i will never here the end of it

Turk
07-02-2008, 05:23 PM
Always nice to have choices... As a denizen of the Northeast Corridor, I love taking the train to Cameron Square Garden and prefer it to games at the Cameronlands...

Is it seriously the Izod Center ?!? I didn't get the memo... That cracks me up... Is there anyone else "of a certain age" who remembers when Izod shirts were standard collegiate attire?

Indoor66
07-02-2008, 05:46 PM
Always nice to have choices... As a denizen of the Northeast Corridor, I love taking the train to Cameron Square Garden and prefer it to games at the Cameronlands...

Is it seriously the Izod Center ?!? I didn't get the memo... That cracks me up... Is there anyone else "of a certain age" who remembers when Izod shirts were standard collegiate attire?

A little history on the Allegator shirt and the Izod lable:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lacoste

http://www.vintagefashionguild.org/component/option,com_alphacontent/section,6/cat,59/task,view/id,153/Itemid,100/

arydolphin
07-02-2008, 05:56 PM
Although we've played at MSG the last couple of years, we've played at the Meadowlands (or whatever they choose to call it now) many times in December. It may have more to do with arena availability than anything else, but I'm just guessing at that. Is the East Regional there this season? That would be a reason K would schedule a game there rather than MSG this year. We lost in "Cameron North A" last year, so a switch back to "Cameron North B" is welcome. Besides, the hotels in Secaucus are much cheaper than in Manhattan, and the Carnegie Deli is still just a short train ride and cab away!

The East Regional is not at the Meadowlands, it's in my new hometown, Boston! All of the regional sites are here:
http://ncaa.com/basketball-mens/default.aspx?id=9920

If you want to plan far ahead, get your tickets for Greensboro now!

RelativeWays
07-02-2008, 05:58 PM
Well at least Xavier is a competent opponent. I love watching Duke smash other teams, unless that other team is UNC-Greensboro, my alma mater. Duke always hammers the crap out of them and it makes me feel a little guilty.

bradjenk
07-02-2008, 08:49 PM
I consider this opponent a bit of a letdown compared to the likes of Pitt, Texas, Kentucky, and even Gonzaga. Xavier hardly has a national following, has never been to a final four, and is unlikely to compete well in this game. Plenty of Duke fans may well take a pass on this game.

Who was UCLA's opponent in the West Regional Finals last year as the #3 seed? (Hint: The #2 seed didn't make it)