PDA

View Full Version : Free Agency - Chris Duhon

ForeverBlowingBubbles
07-01-2008, 02:05 PM
It looks like the Knicks have gone ahead and offered Duhon 6 million over a 2 year deal...

I could be wrong but I think its about the same he was making. He should argue that he should be given a boost given his added experience, consistent a/t ratio, and improved % from 3 point land.

Its the beginning of free agency so I suspect if he isn't extremely determined to play in New York that he will recieve quite a few more offers.

Scarbo
07-01-2008, 04:02 PM
"ESPN Insider Chris Sheridan reports the New York Knicks and Chris Duhon are close to an agreement that would give the former blue devil 11.5 million over the next two seasons. Donnie Walsh met with Duhon today and it appears it won't be his last........."

ForeverBlowingBubbles
07-01-2008, 04:36 PM
knew he was worth more...
thanks for the update...

It'll be great to see Duhon get some minutes again... a great opportunity

BD80
07-01-2008, 04:53 PM
"ESPN Insider Chris Sheridan reports the New York Knicks and Chris Duhon are close to an agreement that would give the former blue devil 11.5 million over the next two seasons. Donnie Walsh met with Duhon today and it appears it won't be his last........."

WOW!! Good for Chris - it shows the Bulls were idiots and shows the value Chris really has.

That signing would DOUBLE the number of Knick players willing to play defense.

Chris would be the only Knick who knows how to pass:)

This pretty much confirms that Starbury is gone. Where does he land? Clips? Heat? Lakers? Celtics? TWolves?

He probably will get some team's full exemption - like Duhon.

skitelz
07-01-2008, 05:23 PM
This pretty much confirms that Starbury is gone. Where does he land? Clips? Heat? Lakers? Celtics? TWolves?

OH MY GOD, PLEASE DONT LET HIM GO TO THE HEAT!!!!:eek:

yancem
07-01-2008, 06:04 PM
OH MY GOD, PLEASE DONT LET HIM GO TO THE HEAT!!!!:eek:

I highly doubt that Riley would try to put Starbury in the backcourt with Wade. I really don't think they would coexist very well.

Clipsfan
07-01-2008, 07:51 PM
I highly doubt that Riley would try to put Starbury in the backcourt with Wade. I really don't think they would coexist very well.

I don't see him and Kobe getting along all that much better, so Lakers are probably out.

duke74
07-01-2008, 10:20 PM

Tonight on a NY Cable show on SNY, Daily News Live, one of the "panelists" (Joe Beningo?) said that Chris did not get on with Paxson and was a "cancer" on the Bulls. The context was his questioning why a troubled team like the Knicks would want to sign him. Is there any truth to that statement? It seems harsh.

skitelz
07-01-2008, 10:59 PM
duhon was a partier in chicago...but a cancer?

no...he might not have got on with paxton, but that would not dictate how he would get along with a different coach and a different gm/owner. for all that panelist knows, chris duhon could be the key ingredient for a title. its not like he is a "starbury" type player. marbury has been on numerous teams and left each and every one of them in shambles. duhon has been on one team and he hardly left them unable to win games.

NYC Duke Fan
07-02-2008, 02:56 AM
WOW!! Good for Chris - it shows the Bulls were idiots and shows the value Chris really has.

That signing would DOUBLE the number of Knick players willing to play defense.

Chris would be the only Knick who knows how to pass:)

He probably will get some team's full exemption - like Duhon.

Letting Marbury go would be stupid. Buying out his contract now would not help the Knicks inflated salary cap. He has only 1 year left and with this his walk year he will probably play better. No reason why he and Duhon couldn't share minutes. From what I have seen Chris play in the pros, he is not much of an outside offensive threat. He is a pass first guy who plays defense, something the Knicks sorely miss. With Marbury and Chris sharing the PG, the Knicks could then work out a trade for Randolph and Lee and hopefully get under the cap for 2010 when Lebron, Wade, Paul ( might have signed an extension tho), and Bosh become free agents.

BD80
07-02-2008, 08:04 AM
Letting Marbury go would be stupid. Buying out his contract now would not help the Knicks inflated salary cap. He has only 1 year left and with this his walk year he will probably play better. No reason why he and Duhon couldn't share minutes. From what I have seen Chris play in the pros, he is not much of an outside offensive threat. He is a pass first guy who plays defense, something the Knicks sorely miss. With Marbury and Chris sharing the PG, the Knicks could then work out a trade for Randolph and Lee and hopefully get under the cap for 2010 when Lebron, Wade, Paul ( might have signed an extension tho), and Bosh become free agents.

The ESPN "trade machine" http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/trademachine

shows the Knicks over the cap by $33.7 million. It also reports that Marbury is likely to be released if the Knicks aquire a point guard.

The Knicks are stuck with Zack Randolph ($13.3 million) and Jamal Crawford ($7.9 million) for 3 more years, and Eddie Curry (8.7 million) and Quentin Richardson ($8.1 million) for 2 more years. Shedding Starbury's $19 million will definitely help. Getting far enough under the cap to sign a big name free agent in 2010 will gut the team for the next 2 years. What incentive would that be for Bosh or Wade or LeBron to come? Paul won't be free that year.

Good luck trading Zack Randolph. Memphis and Minnesota may be the only franchises dumb enough to take his contract and attitude. Oh wait, the Bobcats may also be that dumb.

The big reason to get rid of Starbury now is to get rid of his attitude and start the D'Antoni era on the right foot.

Trinity84
07-02-2008, 08:17 AM
Oh wait, the Bobcats may also be that dumb.

If Starbury had played at Carolina Jordan and Brown would sign him in a heart beat.

Uncle Drew
07-02-2008, 08:27 AM
If Starbury had played at Carolina Jordan and Brown would sign him in a heart beat.

You're infering if Marbury had gone to UNC Jordan and brown would want him. I infered one of the reasons Shav got a contract with the 76ers was Billy King was the GM and I got read the riot act. I'd like to see Chris in NY, I honestly think his past first attitude could make the team better. (And let's face it, it couldn't make them worse!) Just keep him out of the clubs.

duke74
07-02-2008, 08:35 AM
...Just keep him out of the clubs.

In NYC? Good luck. Change will have to come from within.....

VaDukie
07-02-2008, 09:59 AM
If Duhon had trouble with Chicago nightlife and if Scott Skiles couldn't keep him in line...

In all seriousness, I think it's a great opportunity for Duhon and D'Antoni has shown he's a pretty fair judge of talent. I wouldn't expect Duhon to blow up the way Nash did but I see no reason why with expanded minutes he couldn't be a 12-7 type player.

millerecu
07-02-2008, 10:58 AM
Sad thing is if he goes to the Knicks I am going to have to root for a NY team and I just dont feel comfortable with that.

NYC Duke Fan
07-02-2008, 11:15 AM
The ESPN "trade machine" http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/trademachine

shows the Knicks over the cap by $33.7 million. It also reports that Marbury is likely to be released if the Knicks aquire a point guard.

The Knicks are stuck with Zack Randolph ($13.3 million) and Jamal Crawford ($7.9 million) for 3 more years, and Eddie Curry (8.7 million) and Quentin Richardson ($8.1 million) for 2 more years. Shedding Starbury's $19 million will definitely help. Getting far enough under the cap to sign a big name free agent in 2010 will gut the team for the next 2 years. What incentive would that be for Bosh or Wade or LeBron to come? Paul won't be free that year.

Good luck trading Zack Randolph. Memphis and Minnesota may be the only franchises dumb enough to take his contract and attitude. Oh wait, the Bobcats may also be that dumb.

The big reason to get rid of Starbury now is to get rid of his attitude and start the D'Antoni era on the right foot.

By releasing him you still take a salary cap hit without getting any benefit. OK , you get rid of his attitude but that is it. By the way, Duhon is meeting with Orlando today so his signing with the Knicks is not a done deal at all.

duke74
07-02-2008, 11:40 AM
Sad thing is if he goes to the Knicks I am going to have to root for a NY team and I just dont feel comfortable with that.

My sympathies to you. :(

yancem
07-02-2008, 01:56 PM
By releasing him you still take a salary cap hit without getting any benefit. OK , you get rid of his attitude but that is it. By the way, Duhon is meeting with Orlando today so his signing with the Knicks is not a done deal at all.

I'm not sure how much I like the idea of Duhon going to Orlando. We already have one former Dukie riding the pine I don't want another. He does have better size and defensive abilities than Nelson so it's possible he could steal some quality minutes but its also possible that he might have to reserve a seat next to JJ!

BD80
07-02-2008, 02:28 PM
Letting Marbury go would be stupid. ... He has only 1 year left and with this his walk year he will probably play better.

By releasing him you still take a salary cap hit without getting any benefit. OK , you get rid of his attitude but that is it. ...

If I were D'Antoni I would have Starbury gone before camps start. His attitude can undermine everything a new coach is trying to build. The Suns fly down the court to fill lanes knowing that Nash will get them the ball if they get to the right spots fast enough. Why bother to hustle when you know Stephon will pound some air out of the ball before making his move.

In Starbury's mind, "playing better" means putting up bigger numbers. Losses can be blamed on not getting enough support from the rest of the team. This would be the absolute worst year to have Stephon on the team. He will whine about any diminishment of his playing time because that would cut into his stats and his bargaining power for the next contract. He has always been a "me first" player, a contract year would be unbearable.

Starbury is a loser that puts up big stats on a losing team, he and Randolph belong on the same team. I'd rather a winner that will put up modest stats and help the team win.

JasonEvans
07-04-2008, 11:15 AM
Apparently is down to Orlando and the Knicks for Duhon. Orlando is offering 3-years and $10 million while the Knicks are at 2-years and $6 million. The catch is that the Knicks are offering more playing time and will probably make Duhon their starter at PG. The situation in Orlando is less certain.

The Knicks will not even begin to consider more than 2 years for Chris because they must maximize cap space for 2010. They will not budge on that for anyone.

--Jason Orlando is also interested in Maggette, but the Spurs and Celtics are the front-runners for Corey" Evans

Edouble
07-04-2008, 11:26 AM
I'm not sure how much I like the idea of Duhon going to Orlando. We already have one former Dukie riding the pine I don't want another. He does have better size and defensive abilities than Nelson so it's possible he could steal some quality minutes but its also possible that he might have to reserve a seat next to JJ!

I doubt they would sign a $10 million dollar deal with Duhon just to have him sit on the bench. JJ isn't playing because the guy that's ahead of him, Bogans, is shooting lights out from behind the 3 point line, which is JJ's specialty. It's one thing to draft a guy, even a lottery pick, and not play him, but free agency is a whole different ball game. If they sign Duhon, then it's a pretty sure thing that he's in their plans for game day.

jimsumner
07-04-2008, 11:45 AM
Orlando's incumbent at PG is Jameer Nelson, who seems to be able to score at a high level but doesn't seem to fully embrace the idea that distributing the ball should be a higher priority. If CD can do a better job of setting up Howard, Lewis, et. al, then I think a starting job is there for the taking.

Edouble
07-04-2008, 11:58 AM

I disagree with this too. The NBA is a business, it's nothing personal, but the Bulls used their #1 pick on Derrick Rose, thinking that he has the potential to be an All-Star. It's a pretty reasonable risk to go in a new direction with Rose, who has a really appealing and probably superior offensive skill set, especially if Duhon really parties as much in Chicago as he (apparently) did while he was at Duke. Based on what I've seen of Duhon, he can be a really effective Eric Snow, Derrick Fisher type of player. Rose, on the other hand, has shown greater potential (sorry) in his one year of college ball, and looks like he could be an All-Star some day. Clearly there was a personality mis-match in Chicago, and clearly some of the blame lies on Duhon. I don't think you can call the Bulls idiots for going in a new direction given the personality conflicts with Duhon, and given that the new direction is Derrick Rose.

superdave
08-09-2014, 08:45 PM
I am not sure how I missed this.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ex-nba-guard-chris-duhon-signs-with-italian-team-after-recovering-from-hit-and-run-accident-052744520-nba.html
(http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ex-nba-guard-chris-duhon-signs-with-italian-team-after-recovering-from-hit-and-run-accident-052744520-nba.html)

awhom111
08-09-2014, 10:11 PM
I am not sure how I missed this.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ex-nba-guard-chris-duhon-signs-with-italian-team-after-recovering-from-hit-and-run-accident-052744520-nba.html
(http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ex-nba-guard-chris-duhon-signs-with-italian-team-after-recovering-from-hit-and-run-accident-052744520-nba.html)

Which part did you miss? The hit and run? The signing in Italy? The family issues that caused him to back out of the deal? The lawsuit that the team brought against him and his agent? His new job after all of that? It has been a rather wild year for Chris after his last NBA deal expired.

rocketeli
08-10-2014, 09:13 AM
Which part did you miss? The hit and run? The signing in Italy? The family issues that caused him to back out of the deal? The lawsuit that the team brought against him and his agent? His new job after all of that? It has been a rather wild year for Chris after his last NBA deal expired.

Not much info on the web. Can you fill us in on the details?

msdukie
08-10-2014, 03:53 PM
Chris Duhon is currently an assistant coach at Marshall.

flyingdutchdevil
08-10-2014, 07:52 PM
Chris Duhon is currently an assistant coach at Marshall.

Interesting. I just looked it up and Dan D'Antoni, Mike's brother, is the head coach at Marshall. Looks like Dan got to know Duhon through the Knicks and LA.

Duhon strikes me as an awesome assistant coach. I would love to get recruited by Duhon. I am obviously very biased as Duhon was my first true introduction to Duke basketball.