PDA

View Full Version : Has DeMarcus found a team?

bludvlman
07-01-2008, 01:00 PM
A lot of undrafted free agencies have signed with teams for atleast summer leagues, has Nelson?

juise
07-01-2008, 02:49 PM
Well, searching Google for news was unfruitful. The most recent article (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/33513-2008-nba-draft-top-players-not-drafted) (if you can call it that) I found had this to say:

DeMarcus Nelson PG - A solid pure Duke PG who will go overseas. Had his peak a couple of seasons ago. I would not be surprised if he gets signed by a team because he is a very smart basketball player and does many things right.

Huh? :rolleyes:

I want Markie to find a place in the league, but that is not a terrible scouting report of his game.

bludvlman
07-01-2008, 03:48 PM
Well, searching Google for news was unfruitful. The most recent article (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/33513-2008-nba-draft-top-players-not-drafted) (if you can call it that) I found had this to say:

I want Markie to find a place in the league, but that is not a terrible scouting report of his game.

except that little fact that he isn't a point guard.

jimsumner
07-01-2008, 04:33 PM
Nor did he have his peak a couple of seasons ago.

juise
07-01-2008, 05:01 PM
except that little fact that he isn't a point guard.

I'm sorry, I meant to type "that's a terrible scouting report."

My initial comment was "that's not the Demarcus I know," and then I left in the "not."

The "rolleyes" emoticon was directed at the atrocious description of Markie's career and game.

BenDuke03
07-01-2008, 05:39 PM
There was an article recently linked to on DBR (Friday perhaps) that I believe was about Andre Dawkins but it had a mention that Demarcus would likely be in camp with the Golden State Warriors. I think it was in one of the local Durham papers.

CDu
07-01-2008, 07:30 PM

That actually sounds like a summary of Duhon's game - not Nelson. Nothing about that scouting report makes any sense. He's not a PG, he didn't peak a couple of years ago. The Europe part may be correct for Nelson (not for Duhon), but the scouting report sounds like Duhon (not Nelson).

jimsumner
07-01-2008, 07:52 PM
I wonder if it's supposed to be Ewing. Or Dockery.

juise
07-01-2008, 08:17 PM
I wonder if it's supposed to be Ewing. Or Dockery.

Possibly. I don't think Dan was really a pure PG, though.

CDu
07-01-2008, 08:40 PM

Neither was Dockery for that matter (more of a lead guard in high school, never really a PG in college). It really makes no sense whatsoever.

SilkyJ
07-01-2008, 09:12 PM

That's Daniel not Dan, but agreed ;)

Ignatius07
07-01-2008, 10:55 PM
That actually sounds like a summary of Duhon's game - not Nelson. Nothing about that scouting report makes any sense. He's not a PG, he didn't peak a couple of years ago. The Europe part may be correct for Nelson (not for Duhon), but the scouting report sounds like Duhon (not Nelson).

I am going to give you the benefit of the doubt because of your handle, because I know you are not intimating that Duhon peaked a few years before joining the League. He had one of the most dramatic junior to senior improvements of any Duke player!

Edouble
07-01-2008, 11:00 PM
Nelson may have peaked during the UNC game at Cameron his freshman year (a few years ago), but to even say that is really digging deep to explain this poor scouting report.

CDu
07-01-2008, 11:22 PM
I am going to give you the benefit of the doubt because of your handle, because I know you are not intimating that Duhon peaked a few years before joining the League. He had one of the most dramatic junior to senior improvements of any Duke player!

I was referring to literally a couple of years ago (i.e., during Duhon's pro career), based on the fact that this year wasn't the best of seasons for Duhon. Yes - Duhon's college career definitely peaked on the bookends (freshman and senior year).

Ultimately though, I think the website is just not very well researched. It doesn't really fit the college career of any of the Duke players.

Edouble
07-02-2008, 10:26 AM

Yeah, I'm not sure I would call it an article. For anyone on this thread that hasn't clicked on the link and read this "piece", I recommend doing so to get a little perspective on how seriously we should take this scouting report. The writing is on a third or fourth grade level, and the writer has compromised knowledge of college basketball players.

matrix1686
07-02-2008, 05:13 PM
The Warriors just put out their official summer league roster today and DeMarcus is on it. Here is the link: http://www.nba.com/warriors/news/2008_summer_league_announcement.html

DeMarcus might have a good shot at making the team. Golden State isn't exactly a defensive juggernaut and definitely could use some quality defenders.

CameronBornAndBred
07-02-2008, 06:36 PM
Cool news. That article also says "two of the team’s games slated for broadcast on NBA TV. Additionally, every game played during the Las Vegas Summer League will be webcast live on NBA.com – with each of Golden State’s contests archived on www.warriors.com following the conclusion of the game". Sweeet.

Jumbo
07-02-2008, 09:40 PM
Yeah, I'm not sure I would call it an article. For anyone on this thread that hasn't clicked on the link and read this "piece", I recommend doing so to get a little perspective on how seriously we should take this scouting report. The writing is on a third or fourth grade level, and the writer has compromised knowledge of college basketball players.

I'm pretty sure Steve Blake is the author ...

Jim3k
07-03-2008, 01:49 AM
The roster, contrary to many of the pre-draft reports, lists Nelson as 6'-4". I'm betting the Warriors know how tall he is -- which does not mean the listing is accurate, but...it does seem likely.

CDu
07-03-2008, 10:21 AM
The roster, contrary to many of the pre-draft reports, lists Nelson as 6'-4". I'm betting the Warriors know how tall he is -- which does not mean the listing is accurate, but...it does seem likely.

I wouldn't put much faith in team-reported heights for a summer league roster. I doubt they did thorough measurements of every player on the roster. And a team has more reason to fudge the heights of their players than the League does. I'm going to trust the pre-draft measurements rather than the height listed in a summer league roster.

johnb
07-03-2008, 12:51 PM
If DeMarcus wants an NBA paycheck, his role model should be Billy King, another Duke guy with thick biceps and a good brain. I just don't think he'll latch on as a 6' shooting guard, regardless of his effort and stamina.

CameronBornAndBred
07-19-2008, 02:01 PM
Nelson has had a pretty good outing with the Warriors in Vegas this summer. His last game, he got 11 points in 16 minutes of playing time off the bench, with 4 rebounds (3 d., 1 o.). His free throw shooting has been pretty crummy, something he has always needed work on. Pretty cool to follow him, he improved his scoring over the 4 games, and with the rebounding, he must be showing his skills for being all over the court. I think they will have to give him pretty serious consideration for a roster spot.