PDA

View Full Version : Bob Bender

EarlJam
07-01-2008, 12:27 PM
You know how the origins of many of our last names came from occupations or traits, reputations way back in the day?

Examples: Bobby Blacksmith's family used to be blacksmiths. Steve Farmer's family used to be farmers.

Well, I ponder. How the name "Bender?"

Just a thought for the day.

-EJ

gw67
07-01-2008, 01:13 PM
It's an interesting coincidence that Bob Bender's name is brought up. Bob was a transfer from Indiana and started at point guard instead of Harrell during Harrell's final year. In the next year, he was the point guard on a team featuring Giminski, Banks, Dennard and Vince Taylor. Not a bad starting five! However, they only finished 5th in the regular season in a loaded ACC. Maryland won the regular season with Williams, King, Manning and Graham; UNC finished 2nd with Worthy, O'Koren, Wood, Wolf and Black; NC State tied for 2nd with Whitney, Austin, Bailey, Lowe and Watts; Clemson finished 4th with Nance, Gilliam, Campbell, Hamilton and Williams; and Virginia tied Duke for 5th with Sampson, Lamp, Raker and Jones.

Of course the Devils won the ACC tournament beating the Terps.

gw67

Jim3k
07-01-2008, 07:51 PM
You know how the origins of many of our last names came from occupations or traits, reputations way back in the day?

Examples: Bobby Blacksmith's family used to be blacksmiths. Steve Farmer's family used to be farmers.

Well, I ponder. How the name "Bender?"

Just a thought for the day.

-EJ

It's probably a blacksmithy name; someone who could skilfully bend metal strips/rods in a useful/artsy manner. I thought about the tool known as a bend-brake, which is used in the sheet metal industry, but I think the name Bender long preceded the advent of the bend-brake