PDA

View Full Version : Brand, Maggette are Free Agents

CameronBornAndBred
07-01-2008, 09:20 AM
They both have opted out (http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/8300992/Brand,-Maggette-opt-out,-hit-free-agent-market) of their final year with the Clippers.

It doesn't mean either is leaving, but I look forward to both of them playing with better teams. The Clippers never seem to get it all the way together.

skitelz
07-01-2008, 01:02 PM
dear elton,
please go to miami. youd be perfect there.

thanks,
skitelz

duke74
07-01-2008, 01:06 PM
dear elton,

thanks,
skitelz

I'd prefer him back home with us in NY, with the (reborn - I hope) Knicks. But probably won't happen.

Clipsfan
07-01-2008, 01:06 PM
dear elton,

thanks,
skitelz

I don't think that could work unless the Clippers did a sign and trade for Marion.

skitelz
07-01-2008, 01:21 PM
a girl can dream....

CameronBornAndBred
07-01-2008, 01:45 PM
I'd prefer him back home with us in NY, with the (reborn - I hope) Knicks. But probably won't happen.

That could be fun if they get Duhon as well.

duke74
07-01-2008, 03:14 PM
That could be fun if they get Duhon as well.

Any one have thoughts about how Chris would fill Steve Nash's role in D'Antoni's offense? I'm don't have the expertise to assess.

JasonEvans
07-01-2008, 03:53 PM
The teams who have a lot of money to spend under the cap are Memphis and Philly. The Clippers will have a lot to spend too if they let Corey and/or Elton go.

I know that Orlando would like to get involved with Corey, but they can only offer the mid-level exemption, which would be like $5-6 million a year -- not nearly enough to get Corey. This means Orlando's best hope to land Corey is a sign-and-trade, but Orlando does not have a lot to offer the Clips in exchange for Corey. Perhaps they off JJ and Turkoglu? Would that deal even appeal to the Clippers?

Philly would love to get Elton and playing in the slightly less competitive East may appeal to him a bit. The word is that Elton is happy to come back to the Clippers, if they take steps to make the team better (bringing Corey back and landing one more solid player). Still, I bet Philly makes him a big-number offer. I don't think it will work though.

After Philly misses on Elton, the Sixers will likely make a front-loaded offer for the Hawks Josh Smith, who, IMO, is second only to Brand in terms of impact free-agents.

-Jason

BD80
07-01-2008, 05:13 PM
The teams who have a lot of money to spend under the cap are Memphis and Philly. ...
Philly would love to get Elton and playing in the slightly less competitive East may appeal to him a bit. The word is that Elton is happy to come back to the Clippers, if they take steps to make the team better (bringing Corey back and landing one more solid player). Still, I bet Philly makes him a big-number offer. I don't think it will work though.

After Philly misses on Elton, the Sixers will likely make a front-loaded offer for the Hawks Josh Smith, who, IMO, is second only to Brand in terms of impact free-agents.

-Jason

It sounds like Philly is in great shape. They must have had a REALLY good GM to put them in such a position, particularly when they were saddled with the erstwhile AI and his atrocious contract.

I am certain that that GM would have some serious job security.

What? He's gone? Exactly why?

yancem
07-01-2008, 06:09 PM

I was reading on Yahoo this morning that Baron Davis has opted out of his contract with Golden Sate and that the Clippers were going to push hard to sign him. That should be a fairly attractive pick up to Brand.

BlueintheFace
07-01-2008, 06:11 PM
The teams who have a lot of money to spend under the cap are Memphis and Philly. The Clippers will have a lot to spend too if they let Corey and/or Elton go.

I know that Orlando would like to get involved with Corey, but they can only offer the mid-level exemption, which would be like $5-6 million a year -- not nearly enough to get Corey. This means Orlando's best hope to land Corey is a sign-and-trade, but Orlando does not have a lot to offer the Clips in exchange for Corey. Perhaps they off JJ and Turkoglu? Would that deal even appeal to the Clippers?

-Jason

Couple of thoughts--

There is NO WAY Orlando would exchange Hedo for Corey Maggette. Otis Smith is absolutely in love with Turkoglu.

I would be SHOCKED if Elton left LA. He absolutely loves the place and is big into the movie scene. However, my guess is that Corey Maggette really really didn't see Baron Davis leaving 18 Million on the table (which means the Clippers can make a play for Davis and forget about Maggette).

If the Clippers grab Davis then Maggette is a big name on a very dry market. I see the Sixers concurrently striking out with a few forwards on their wish list and grabbing Maggette and not Brand. I mean seriously, look at that roster... show me one shooting guard that would even be a backup on another team...

This is what the sixers should do in the first place, but I have a feeling they won't... such is the unpredictable nature of free agency.

kramerbr
07-01-2008, 08:43 PM
I was reading on Yahoo this morning that Baron Davis has opted out of his contract with Golden Sate and that the Clippers were going to push hard to sign him. That should be a fairly attractive pick up to Brand.

Sounds like Baron Davis is now a Clipper according to ESPN.

Carlos
07-01-2008, 10:52 PM
The Celtics have extended an offer to Maggette but all they can offer him is the mid-level exception which is $5.8M. It will be interesting to see if he would sign with the Celtics for less money and accept what would likely be a backup role to either Pierce or Ray Allen. Of course the upside is that he would be playing for a team that would be one of the favorites for the title next year.

yancem
07-01-2008, 11:02 PM
The Celtics have extended an offer to Maggette but all they can offer him is the mid-level exception which is $5.8M. It will be interesting to see if he would sign with the Celtics for less money and accept what would likely be a backup role to either Pierce or Ray Allen. Of course the upside is that he would be playing for a team that would be one of the favorites for the title next year.

Also, Ray Allen isn't exactly a spring chicken anymore. He still has some mileage left but he's been in the league 12 years and I think 33 years old. Maggette would be a solid back up if he were to get injured or slow down a little.

This just in, Yahoo is claiming that San Antonio is making Maggette a priority. Finley is even older than Allen and has shown more signs of slowing down. Maggette could probably move right into the starting line up and still be on a team that will compete for the championship.

ForeverBlowingBubbles
07-02-2008, 10:49 AM
The Boston Globe - On the first day of free agency in the NBA, the world champion Celtics, according to an NBA source, made contract offers to both James Posey and Corey Maggette. Since Boston, at most, has a mid-level exception available (expected to be about $5.8 million), it would seem doubtful they could land both players. Boston is also scheduled have New Orleans center Chris Andersen in for a visit today.

"I called [Posey] and just talked to him and told him how much we wanted him back," Danny Ainge said. "I told his agent and we had a conversation. So we're still having conversations. After James, yeah, I called a lot of guys just to say that we had interest. But I can't discuss names."

"It's a great honor to even hear from them," Maggette said. "Hopefully, I can look at some of the options. That's a good option playing for those guys. ... It's not always about money," Maggette said. "I've been in the league a long time and I've made a lot of money. I'm tired of losing. I want to get back to the playoffs and win." -- The Boston Globe

JasonEvans
07-02-2008, 12:29 PM
The Clippers signing Baron Davis means the Clips would renounce all rights to Corey Maggette and say they do not intend to re-sign him. I think this would be a good move for both the Clips and Corey.

Corey has made more than $40 million in his NBA career so far. At 28 years old he likely has another 5 or more yeas left in the league. If he wants to play for a contender, like the Spurs or Celtics or someone else, right now and leave $10 or $20 million on the table over the next few years, that is his right and I think it is a decent idea. Frankly, given how much he has already earned from hoops, it is just not going to be all that different to him if he makes $20 million over the next 3 or 4 years versus making $30 million. On the other hand, going deep in the playoffs and being a part of an important team nationally probably will make a difference to him in terms of how he feels about his career. I think going to a contender for the mid-level exemption is a good idea for him.

One thought for him might be going to a team where he could be more of a star. He could sign with Cleveland, for example, and be a real difference maker for that team by being Lebron's side-kick and the 2nd best player on their roster. He might find that more satisfying than being 6th man for the Celtics or starting for the Spurs (but giving way to Manu at crunch time). And what about the Hornets? Playing with Chris Paul would be very attractive to me if I was Corey.

My point is that there are options for him and I like that he is thinking about winning more than money.

As for Elton-- if Baron signs with the Clips, I am certain Elton will return there. I doubt Baron would sign with them before talking to Elton and getting some assurances that Elton would be back. Baron does not want to be on a horrid team either and minus Elton, the Clips are not very good.

--Jason "this works out nicely for both these former Dukies" Evans

hughesmiester
07-02-2008, 02:10 PM
As a Dukie living in Boston, I am also a hardcore C's fan. Just wanted to give everyone a heads up that on EEI today, other than the Sox dropping two straight to the Rays :mad: talk has been about Maggette to the C's potentially.

Their first choice is to keep James Posey, as he was an amazing role player and played a big part in the team chemistry, but to get Maggette as the sixth man would be a major coup for Danny Ainge. I think Corey would fit right in and welcome the chance to play alongside KG, PP and Ray for a title. He can accept the mid-level since he's still young, potentially win a ring, at the very LEAST get some solid playoff experience, then go out and get a big deal elsewhere. It makes alot of sense.

So, just in case you were wondering, I think if the C's don't get Posey then Corey is Boston bound from the latest I've heard around here.

JasonEvans
07-02-2008, 02:26 PM
Their first choice is to keep James Posey, as he was an amazing role player and played a big part in the team chemistry, but to get Maggette as the sixth man would be a major coup for Danny Ainge.

So, just in case you were wondering, I think if the C's don't get Posey then Corey is Boston bound from the latest I've heard around here.

I am shocked as to why Boston would rather keep Posey than get Maggette. You are talking about taking the 31 year old guy who has averaged 7-8 ppg in each of the past 4 years versus the 28 year old who as averaged better than 16 ppg in each of the past 8 years including 22 ppg last year.

Posey is a better defender, though Maggette is not a bad defender, and Posey is a better stand-still 3-point shooter, but aside from that there is no comparisons in the two players. Perhaps most importantly, if Pierce is not on the floor, Maggette would be a player who can create his own shot and break down the D in a way few other guys on Boston can. Plus, Maggette is much younger than Posey!

I really don't get keeping Posey instead of Maggette... though chemistry is a big deal and perhaps Boston does not want to fix something that ain't broken.

-Jason I am betting Corey ends up on the Spurs" Evans

JasonEvans
07-02-2008, 02:28 PM
A side note-- the Clippers have not extended a qualifying offer to Shaun Livingston, making the former Duke recruit a free agent.

--Jason "I hope Shaun catches on somewhere and that his leg is finally healed" Evans

JasonEvans
07-02-2008, 02:30 PM
The LA Times says (http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-clippers2-2008jul02,0,2121230.story) Brand is expected to re-up with the Clips, perhaps as soon as today.

--Jason "told ya there was no way Baron would sign unless Brand was also coming back" Evans

kramerbr
07-02-2008, 02:47 PM
The LA Times says (http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-clippers2-2008jul02,0,2121230.story) Brand is expected to re-up with the Clips, perhaps as soon as today.

--Jason "told ya there was no way Baron would sign unless Brand was also coming back" Evans

Wow! Jason "full of bold statements" Evans

hughesmiester
07-03-2008, 08:55 AM
I am shocked as to why Boston would rather keep Posey than get Maggette. You are talking about taking the 31 year old guy who has averaged 7-8 ppg in each of the past 4 years versus the 28 year old who as averaged better than 16 ppg in each of the past 8 years including 22 ppg last year.

Posey is a better defender, though Maggette is not a bad defender, and Posey is a better stand-still 3-point shooter, but aside from that there is no comparisons in the two players. Perhaps most importantly, if Pierce is not on the floor, Maggette would be a player who can create his own shot and break down the D in a way few other guys on Boston can. Plus, Maggette is much younger than Posey!

I really don't get keeping Posey instead of Maggette... though chemistry is a big deal and perhaps Boston does not want to fix something that ain't broken.

-Jason I am betting Corey ends up on the Spurs" Evans

Jason...you just answered your own question twice... 1, Posey is a better defender, the C's had the best defense in the league this year, that's why they won it all. 2, it's all about chemistry. Why change something that works? Posey was THE catalyst for this team.

SilkyJ
07-03-2008, 09:32 PM
Looks like brand got an offer from the warriors for $90million after the clips offered him $70million. he said he wants to stay in LA, but $20m?? that's a lot of dough.

http://articles.latimes.com/2008/jul/03/sports/sp-clips3

Let the speculation begin...or maybe wait until after the holiday...I'm guessing the only reason this hasn't been posted yet is cause I'm on the west coast...

yancem
07-03-2008, 10:51 PM
Looks like brand got an offer from the warriors for $90million after the clips offered him $70million. he said he wants to stay in LA, but $20m?? that's a lot of dough.

Let the speculation begin...or maybe wait until after the holiday...I'm guessing the only reason this hasn't been posted yet is cause I'm on the west coast...

That would be an interesting turn of event. I thought that the clippers had offered Brand a max deal or close to it. Do they have cap issues (I can't image why they would) or are they just being their normal stingy selves?

SilkyJ
07-03-2008, 11:03 PM
That would be an interesting turn of event. I thought that the clippers had offered Brand a max deal or close to it. Do they have cap issues (I can't image why they would) or are they just being their normal stingy selves?

I'm not sure of the exact numbers, but I heard on ESPN (i think it was PTI...and jay marriotti was subbing in, so take it FWIW) that the clips are not quite offering a max deal, but are offering most of what they have in terms of cap space, once you factor in the Baron Davis deal...I did get the impression that they may be able to offer a bit more and that David Faulk, his agent, would simply shop the offer and try and get a little more out of the clips.

JasonEvans
07-04-2008, 10:46 AM
Because of cap restrictions, the Clippers cannot offer Brand as much as the Warriors, Sixers, or TWolves can. They can come close, but not quite as much because the clips ate up almost all their cap space signing Baron.

Elton made 15.3 million last year. The Warrions are offering a deal that averages 18 million a year. Right now, the Clips are at an average of 14 million a year. I am betting the Clips will figure out a way to get it up closer to 16 million a year and that Elton will sign with them. There may be some more opt-out language after year 2 perhaps allowing Elton to go on the market in 2010 again.

Why 2010? Every team in the league is trying to clear cap space for 2010. 2010 will be the biggest and most impressive free agent class in NBA history. We are not talking restricted free agents here, where the team you are currently with gets to match any offers. We are talking about the real deal -- you go wherever you want. Here is the list:

Kobe, LeBron, DWade, Joe Johnson, Chris Bosh, Amare Stoudamire, Dirk, Yao, Paul Pierce, Josh Howard, Richard Jefferson, Rip Hamilton, Tracy McGrady, Tyson Chandler, Manu Ginobli... the list goes on an on. Some of these are player option deals, but it is assumed that most of these guys will opt out and go for mega-paydays. Everyone in the league is clearing cap space for the summer of 2010. Gonna be HUGE!!

Anyway, sorry for the diversion. I am still betting that Elton is back in Clipperland, though maybe only at what he made las year or a few hundred grand more. Still, he will be on a better team, and I think that matters to him a lot!

-Jason "2010 gonna shake up the NBA" Evans