PDA

View Full Version : Random NASCAR Trivia

mph
06-28-2008, 04:51 PM
No google searching before you answer. I had heard that this driver had an engineering degree, but I was very surprised to learn that he was the only full-time NASCAR driver with a college degree.

For those who want to know the answer without taking the time to google, just take a look at my vote.

YmoBeThere
06-28-2008, 05:07 PM
An engineering degree at that...

Ben63
06-28-2008, 05:08 PM
Wow that was a lucky guess... I swear I didnt cheat.

I ruled out Kahne and Stewart b/c I knew they came straight up from lesser forms of racing (by lesser I dont nessicarily mean better). I didnt think it was Gordon either so I had it to Johnson, Burton, and Newman.

Newman is the most articulate speaker of the 3 so I just guessed him.

Lavabe
06-28-2008, 05:35 PM
Sorry, but the poll hit a sore point lingering from my early May grading.

Whose spelling is correct: the poll author or the reader who's shouting WHO'S? ;)

Sorry folks.

Now as for Smoke, the only Toney I know played for the Sixers in the early 1980's.;)

Cheers,
Lavabe

mph
06-28-2008, 07:24 PM
Sorry, but the poll hit a sore point lingering from my early May grading.

Whose spelling is correct: the poll author or the reader who's shouting WHO'S? ;)

Sorry folks.

Now as for Smoke, the only Toney I know played for the Sixers in the early 1980's.;)

Cheers,
Lavabe

Whoops! I'm just doing my best to demonstrate the value of a college degree!:D

Also, if I had it to do over again I'd change the poll to ask "How many full-time NASCAR drivers have a college degree?" I think that would have been a more difficult question.

mph
06-29-2008, 03:33 PM
Here's another bit of interesting information. NASCAR's second full-time driver with a college degree might be a graduate from . . . [drum roll please] . . . Duke! (http://www.nascar.com/2008/news/features/01/25/rnewman.cedwards.higher.education/story_single.html)

Team owners now expect their engineers and crew chiefs to come with college degrees, and a number of universities across the country now offer motorsports as a major paired with NASCAR-specific curriculum. Soon Ryan Newman won't be the only college graduate on the track.

Paul Harraka, the 18-year-old Jersey boy recently selected to join NASCAR's Drive for Diversity program, is on his way to Duke in the fall. Harraka was accepted under the school's early decision program. Raised to value academics and competition, Harraka said he plans to use his education to further his racing career by obtaining a mechanical engineering degree with a minor in business marketing.